MKV files Quit Working In Windows Media Center

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
VerbalPainter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by VerbalPainter » Sat May 05, 2012 1:02 am

Kind member, Dinglestains, can you describe your WD set-up? I'm getting ready to try to uninstall and re-install the codec on Xbox and see if that fixes my divx streaming woes as well as install the ac3 pass thru (never heard of that before this forum). But in the future I planned on getting something like the WD...so I'm wondering how u have that set w/ you xbox and pc?

Thanks

Verb.

PS> My initial issue is I can't keep my xbox connected to my pc or if I search for movies in Mediacenter on Pc it immediately fails. On the extender (xbox) the same search disconnects. So i'm thinking I also have a firewall issue as well?

tommo

Post by tommo » Mon May 07, 2012 11:19 am

everyone has their own methods. Personally I uninstall anything codec related.. install the latest shark.. click 'sharks recommended settings' and it's all done.

mica

Post by mica » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:31 pm

It should re-encode the file with AC3 Passthrough audio.
Just found this thread - thanks for the advice on AC3 Passthrough. About 10% of my MKV rips would simply "hang" when launched on my Windows 7 PC in Media Center (and Windows Player). Re-encoding with Handbrake made them watchable! Great tip! I appreciate the help!