Weird problem with Ceton no live TV but records shows

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jamawass

HTPC Specs: Show details

Weird problem with Ceton no live TV but records shows

Post by jamawass » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:11 pm

I've installed a Ceton pcie infinitv. After completing installation including cable card activation, Media center will not display live tv, the picture will display, sound will loop and then I receive a "video error" message. However I had inadvertently scheduled recording a series and yesterday I found all the shows recorded and played back flawlessly!
Can anyone identify the problem? I had already requested an RMA for the Ceton but now I may keep it if this can be solved Thanks for any and all input.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:19 pm

What are you using for a video card?
Are you hooked up via HDMI to an AVR or TV? If you are using a HDMI cable, from the windows desktop open control panel then sound, select your HDMI connection and set it to 2.0 stereo test, save, and exit. Open media center, open tasks/settings, general, media center setup, (I think, I am away from my PC) set up your speakers. If you have 5.1 or 7.1 set that up here.. test, save, and exit. Some times you will get this error if both windows and media center are setup to use 5.1, setting up the way I describe gets you 5.1/7.1 in mc and no more video error messages. And your live TV should play.
Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

TonyXL

Post by TonyXL » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Try this: from the main WMC screen, press Alt-Enter, wait a few seconds, and then press Alt-Enter again. Now try Live TV. If it works, it's an HDMI handshake issue. The un-maximize/re-maximize forces a re-handshake.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:28 pm

If you're getting a video error message, this isn't an issue with the InfiniTV and an RMA won't help. What video card and display are you using? Is your display hooked directly to your PC? Have you tried upgrading to the latest video drivers?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

jamawass

Post by jamawass » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:19 am

newfiend wrote:What are you using for a video card?
Are you hooked up via HDMI to an AVR or TV? If you are using a HDMI cable, from the windows desktop open control panel then sound, select your HDMI connection and set it to 2.0 stereo test, save, and exit. Open media center, open tasks/settings, general, media center setup, (I think, I am away from my PC) set up your speakers. If you have 5.1 or 7.1 set that up here.. test, save, and exit. Some times you will get this error if both windows and media center are setup to use 5.1, setting up the way I describe gets you 5.1/7.1 in mc and no more video error messages. And your live TV should play.
This fixed it, thanks :D . Picture quality is slightly softer than directly from the cable box. Any other tips?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:55 am

jamawass wrote:
newfiend wrote:What are you using for a video card?
This fixed it, thanks :D . Picture quality is slightly softer than directly from the cable box. Any other tips?
Are you using a Nvidia Card? (I have a Nvidia GT430)
If so try this:
Click Start>Control Panel>Nvidia Control Panel
on the left select Adjust Desktop Color Settings
on the right under #2 Select Use Nvidia Settings
Under Apply the following Enhancements
Digital Color Format Drop down box set it to YCbCr444
And Content Type Reported to Display drop down box to Full Screen Videos. Click Apply in the lower Right corner.

Back on the left side select Adjust Video Color Settings
#2 How do you make your Color Adjustments
Set it to: With the Nvidia Settings
Then select the Advanced Tab
Set Dynamic Range to Full (0-225)
Click Apply in the lower right corner
If prompted to save the settings after changes select yes.
Exit the Nvidia Control Panel
Your colors should be more vivid, Try out watching TV.. You should also notice that the display isn't as washed out looking as well.
HTH,
newfiend~
EDIT:
I see you have a ATI card.. Open CCC
on the left select Video then Video Settings
On the right Adjust Dynamic Range to Full (0-225)
Also look for adjustments for Digital Color Format and change it from RGB and set it to YCbCr444 if possible.
Save and Exit CCC
see if that gives you a less "washed out" look .
newfiend~
Attachments
,5-N-277547-3.jpg