Sleep Mode Problems

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Sai Das

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sleep Mode Problems

Post by Sai Das » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:28 pm

I'v just set up a Xbox as an extender for my W7U/64 PC on FiOS and I've never used WMC or Xbox for that matter. Everything is working fine except for Sleep mode which I use a lot.

Per advice given, I downloaded MST W7 version and made all of the settings shown in the tutorial, however, all of the screen shots are for Vista/XP so they don't all correspond with W7; MCE is Vista/XP of course. The forum posts there are 5 years old so are not of much help. http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml My BIOS is set to S3 USB.

Last night before retiring, I made sure there was nothing being recorded and tried to put the PC to Sleep but it just wouldn't go after repeated attempts so I had to shut it down. This morning, however, after starting the PC again, I tried Sleep mode and it worked fine; same as yesterday. I also wanted to check to see if it would record when the system was off so I scheduled a program to record at 5am and at 7am, it hadn't recorded. I had no problems like these with my previous Verizon DVR.

I record a lot of programs in the wee hours of the morning and I always put my PC into Sleep mode at night before I retire. What I really need my system to do is:

1) Be able to put the PC into Sleep mode at night even if a program is being recorded.
2) Wake for a scheduled recording then go back into Sleep mode when finished.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Router info: http://www.actiontec.com/products/datas ... asheet.pdf

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:04 am

I have a few questions..
#1) Your Bios is set to S3 USB? I am a little lost on what you mean by this..
My Bios has a few options for sleep modes. Set it to S3 Only if possible. Make sure that you set up MST to use S3 mode also.

#2) Do you have any USB devices hooked to the HTPC that might be keeping it awake? for example I have a Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000 keyboard that I used to set on top of my HTPC when not in use. This has a proximity sensor in the hand rest area of the keyboard and any time someone would walk by the proximity sensor would pick this up and light up the backlighting on the keyboard and wake my PC..
Little things like that hooked up to USB ports (Keyboards, Mice etc. that are wireless) could be keeping it awake or not allowing it to sleep. Try turning off wireless Mice or keyboards hooked to the PC to see if that helps. (mine have off switches on the bottom of them). Alternately if you have WOL set up and your XBOX on it may keep the PC awake as well, My XBOX sends a WOL packet to wake my HTPC if it's sleeping and it will stay awake if its on.

If you shut down the PC last night instead of sleeping it it will not wake to record. It must be in sleep mode (S3) for it to wake to record.

Your PC could have had a background task running preventing it from sleeping, Like anti-virus scan or if you have Media Center set up to optimize itself in Tasks/Settings>General>Optimization set at a specific time and it could have been running and keeping it awake or downloading new guide data etc. Keep in mind you now have a PC not a stand alone DVR and a PC will sometimes wake to run specific tasks or sleep itself after a task is complete. I have woken in the night to find my HTPC running a task and sleeping again when it had finished. Or tried to sleep it when it was busy running a background task only to find it would eventually sleep after it had completed.

Check to make sure your mainboard has the latest BIOS release and see if there are any updates for your BIOS that pertain to sleep related issues.

The other thing you can do is open a Command box [Run, CMD] and enter powercfg -energy. This will tell you what it sees waking up your system. It will drop an html document - typically at Users\yourname and you read it for the issues. There are more powercfg options here as well to help troubleshoot sleep issues. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... s.10).aspx
Hope this helps you out. Let us know how things go.
newfiend~

Sai Das

Post by Sai Das » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:38 pm

I talked to Verizon tech support and after describing what was going on, he mentioned using a program called Caffeine that keeps the PC from going into sleep mode. I questioned why I needed something that would keep it from going into Sleep mode, but he said that should help???

I checked MST/Devices it shows my MS wireless keyboard/mouse and Realtek PCIe Family Controller as devices that can wake the system. The latter is part of the software from my MOBO that deals with the audio. None of these things were affecting my system before. I can't not use my keyboard/mouse of course. Entering powercfg -anything doesn't produce any results. BIOS is updated. CP/power options Sleep is set to Never. CP/power options/advanced settings/hard disk is set to turn off in 20 minutes. CP/power options/Sleep Allow wake timers is enabled. CP/power options/Sleep/USB selective suspend setting is enabled. No AV program other than Windows Defender.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Verizon tech must have miss understood what you are trying to accomplish. It sounds to me like he thought you wanted it to NOT sleep by suggesting the other program.
I would not install that.
The devices listed that can wake your PC are: MS Wireless Keyboard/Mouse and the Realtek PCIe Family Controller (Should be a network interface card aka NIC or Ethernet port).
If these are the only things listed that can wake the system I would try turning off the Wireless keyboard on the bottom with the switch and the same with the mouse. Try and sleep the PC.
If it works then the problem would be the mouse and or keybaord. To wake the PC with these just turn them on with the switch on the bottom again then hit a key on the keyboard or move the mouse It should then wake the PC.

If it doesn't sleep the PC then it may be your NIC causing it not to sleep.. you could try disabling the NIC and see if it will then sleep. It may take a little troubleshooting on your end to determine what is keeping it from working correctly. MAke sure all the drivers are up to date for your NIC.

I was just able to run the powercfg -energy no problem on my PC and it dumped an .HTML document at C:\Windows\System32

Click Start, Type CMD in the search box, it should appear in the list .. Right Click CMD and run as Administrator.
When the CMD Admin window opens type powercfg -energy
it may take a few min to complete its scan and dump the .HTML doc. it will tell you when it's complete.
alternately you can also type: powercfg -lastwake
To determine what woke up the PC last if you have a problem with it sleeping then waking up when it should not be waking.

Are you using Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials?
newfiend~

Sai Das

Post by Sai Das » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:30 pm

< I would try turning off the Wireless keyboard on the bottom with the switch and the same with the mouse> Switch on the bottom??? Are you referring to the MCE window? They are all checked but can't be unchecked. In the Last Wake window there, it shows it was the Power button on my tower which is what I normally use. Wouldn't this indicate what is waking the system?

Earlier today I was able to put it into Sleep, however, I'm trying to do it now and it won't; I've checked and there is nothing being recorded???

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials. All the NIC drivers are updated. If I disable NIC, isn't that going to mess up my sound?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:31 am

The Mouse and keyboard should have some way of shutting them off.. (I would think) Check the user manual for your mouse and keyboard.
Here is a Picture of a Mouse with a power switch circled in red, turning this off would keep it from waking the system. see if your mouse and keyboard have these switches on them. (pic below)

The NIC is a Network Interface Card, It allows your computer to get Internet via Ethernet cable. ( I am assuming you are using broadband internet either cable or DSL).

How are you sleeping the PC are you using the mouse and clicking start then sleep or are you using a MCE remote Control?

If you click Start>Control Panel>Power Options
What Plan are you using Balanced or Power Saver?
I use Balanced, then select Change plan Settings
Turn Off Display is set to never
Put computer to sleep is set to never
Click Change advanced power settings
Click the + next to Power buttons and lid
click the + on Power button action set it to Sleep
Click Apply
close all windows and goto the windows desktop
right click on the start button select properties
on the start menu tab set power button action to Sleep

In your BIOS your sleep mode is set to S3 only correct not S3+S4 right?

Try this out and see if it helps at all.
newfiend~
Attachments
Mouse.jpg