One Remote for WMC/Xbox/PC Extender?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Sai Das

HTPC Specs: Show details

One Remote for WMC/Xbox/PC Extender?

Post by Sai Das » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:23 pm

My new Xbox is on it's way and I want one inexpensive remote control WMC/Xbox extender functions. Does MS make a remote that I can control WMC and Xbox and TV functions with a W7U/64 PC?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:07 pm

I don't have any Xboxes, but I have read that the standard Media Center remote control will work with the XBox as an extender.

As for an MCE remote that will also control your TV's power/volume functions... I think they make those also, but most folks will probably tell you to buy a Logitech Harmony instead.

Another option is the remote I use... it's an Acoustic Research AR-RX18G. Google it or look on e-bay. You can find them new for around $50. It can learn from other remotes, and they have a pretty good database for lots of devices with pre-programmed commands. They even have the media center commands in the database, so it's as simple as connecting the remote to your PC via USB and configuring your devices, activities, and macros.

KHTPC75

Post by KHTPC75 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:30 pm

The black XBox 360 will control the Xbox and media center as well as a pc running windows media center with the correct receiver. It's also programmable but I think it's just for TV functions.

I've used a harmony 890 with no issues and I use a harmony one now. The 890 goes for about $100 on ebay. The Harmony One about $130 on ebay.

If you want to control your PC running windows media center using a compatible media center ir receiver as well as your xbox, you'll run into issues as they use the same codes. Everytime I'd hit power to turn off the XBox, it would also turn off my PC, for instance. I ended up unplugging the IR receiver from my Pc and just using the Xbox for everything. I've since purchase a Xantech RT16-10 IR Router so I can operate multiple devices that use the same IR codes.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:01 pm

KHTPC75 wrote:The black XBox 360 will control the Xbox and media center as well as a pc running windows media center with the correct receiver. It's also programmable but I think it's just for TV functions.

I've used a harmony 890 with no issues and I use a harmony one now. The 890 goes for about $100 on ebay. The Harmony One about $130 on ebay.

If you want to control your PC running windows media center using a compatible media center ir receiver as well as your xbox, you'll run into issues as they use the same codes. Everytime I'd hit power to turn off the XBox, it would also turn off my PC, for instance. I ended up unplugging the IR receiver from my Pc and just using the Xbox for everything. I've since purchase a Xantech RT16-10 IR Router so I can operate multiple devices that use the same IR codes.
Not to hijack this thread, but to solve KHTPC75's issue above (More than one Media Center PC in the same room... or an extender and a PC in the same room) without buying an IR Router like he did, take a look at the link below. You'll want to read #4.
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ter-614592

Basically, you would change a setting in the Windows Registry to make the PC use code set 2 (or anything but 1), and program your remote to use code set 1 for your extender, and code set 2 for the PC.

The registry key is:
HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da
The value to change is: CodeSetNum0

EDIT: Some people say that they also had to delete the values CodeSetNum1, CodeSetNum2, and CodeSetNum3.

KHTPC75

Post by KHTPC75 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Yes. I forgot all about that. There's a program called TweakMC that I played around with that makes the changes for you. You can also set it to respond to the Xbox 360 remote, all remotes or media center remote. Unfortunately, I have a few other devices that use the same codes. Since I use them all through an 8x8 hdmi matrix, I have to use an IR Router which is expensive and a pain to configure.

You'll probably have to manually program the remote via the learn option if you'll be using a media center pc separate from the xbox 360 after you've set the remote and codeset. I've never seen multiple codeset options for media center remote codes while programming my remotes.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:38 am

KHTPC75 wrote:Yes. I forgot all about that. There's a program called TweakMC that I played around with that makes the changes for you. You can also set it to respond to the Xbox 360 remote, all remotes or media center remote. Unfortunately, I have a few other devices that use the same codes. Since I use them all through an 8x8 hdmi matrix, I have to use an IR Router which is expensive and a pain to configure.

You'll probably have to manually program the remote via the learn option if you'll be using a media center pc separate from the xbox 360 after you've set the remote and codeset. I've never seen multiple codeset options for media center remote codes while programming my remotes.
Actually, the remote I use... the AR-RX18G... has multiple code sets in the database for Media Center. Doesn't Logitech have them?