More Than 4 Tuners (Anybody have 3 or more Ceton devices?)

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

More Than 4 Tuners (Anybody have 3 or more Ceton devices?)

Post by choliscott » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:59 am

Hi Everyone,

From what I've read the latest Ceton software allows for more then 4 tuners on WMC. However when I tried doing a fresh reinstall (Including Windows 7), it detected I only having 4 tuners, when I have 8 ( I have 2 infinitv4 pci cards in the same system). Is there anything special that needs to occur to have the software detect more then 4 tuners? I did originally purchase Tunersalad, so I'm not having a problem, but I am getting a SSD drive this week & when I do another Windows reinstall, wanted to see if I could get all 8 tuners to show w/o the help of tuner salad.

Also by chance what is the maximum # of tuners (if using the Ceton devices)? I know w/ Tunersalad it's 12.

My 2nd question was more out of curiousity. I was wondering if anybody was running 3 or more Ceton cards (usb or pci) in their tv setup.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Did Windows Media Center give you a message along the lines of other tuners were found, but will not be configured, or did it actually only find one card? As long as you are on the latest InfiniTV software, it should "just work"
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:31 pm

I cannot remember the exact message, but it was at the point of it said Windows Media Center has detected the following Digital Cable (CableCard) (4 Tuners). When I use T.S. it says the same thing but (8 Tuners).

I'm probably going to try doing another install later today & see if I get the same message without using Tuner Salad.

Also doing another reinstall because I am getting the Non Compliant HTCP video card message & I think it has to do with enabling dual login with Remote Desktop.

Also by chance, if it does work, what is the new maximum # of tuners you can have (assuming the device was the infinitv4 or the usb version)?
erkotz wrote:Did Windows Media Center give you a message along the lines of other tuners were found, but will not be configured, or did it actually only find one card? As long as you are on the latest InfiniTV software, it should "just work"

toddos

Post by toddos » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:15 pm

What does the Ceton diagnostics tool say? Does it see all your tuners? Perhaps you need to update your drivers?

I have two InfnitiTV 4 PCIe cards in my HTPC, the Ceton diagnostics tool sees both, and MC sees all 8 tuners just fine. I'm not sure if the drivers will allow for more than 3 devices (IIRC, the driver enables up to 30 tuners of each type, but you can only use up to 12 Ceton tuners, or 3 InfiniTV 4 devices).

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Currently, diagnostics shows two devices, each with 4 tuners (with the usage of tuner Salad). When I tried running it strictly without Tuner salad, On the original setup it only showed 4 Tuners. I should add that it's been about a month since I last tried, but the install software hasn't been updated since October (going by the last revised date on the website).

I am currently moving shows from my C drive to another drive & going to do another install here in a couple of hours & see if it shows 8 tuners or just 4.
toddos wrote:What does the Ceton diagnostics tool say? Does it see all your tuners? Perhaps you need to update your drivers?

I have two InfnitiTV 4 PCIe cards in my HTPC, the Ceton diagnostics tool sees both, and MC sees all 8 tuners just fine. I'm not sure if the drivers will allow for more than 3 devices (IIRC, the driver enables up to 30 tuners of each type, but you can only use up to 12 Ceton tuners, or 3 InfiniTV 4 devices).

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:39 pm

If it's just a copy of TunerSalad you're looking for, if you've donated in the past, you can get a new copy. Although the ceton drivers theoretically do the same thing as TunerSalad does, so I'm not sure why it isn't working.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 pm

I have donated in the past for Tuner Salad (I actually donated while my first Ceton device was in transit) & still have the "install" file. Since I've been reading the software allows for more then 4 tuners & it didn't work for me, I was curious if there was anything special I had to do to get it to work with out the help of Tuner salad.

Toddos did give me an idea, which I took a picture of the diagnostics screen (the first part showing two devices), so I can see which one it "doesn't find"
makryger wrote:If it's just a copy of TunerSalad you're looking for, if you've donated in the past, you can get a new copy. Although the ceton drivers theoretically do the same thing as TunerSalad does, so I'm not sure why it isn't working.

toddos

Post by toddos » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 am

choliscott wrote:Currently, diagnostics shows two devices, each with 4 tuners (with the usage of tuner Salad). When I tried running it strictly without Tuner salad, On the original setup it only showed 4 Tuners. I should add that it's been about a month since I last tried, but the install software hasn't been updated since October (going by the last revised date on the website).

I am currently moving shows from my C drive to another drive & going to do another install here in a couple of hours & see if it shows 8 tuners or just 4.
Installing the Ceton software should be safe and not affect any of your existing recordings or other functionality. I'd get the latest software from Ceton's site, run that, and then re-run TV setup and see if it will see all 8 tuners without TunerSalad. That worked just fine for me.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:24 am

Ok I am setting this up now. This is the message I am getting

Digital Cable (Cable Card) (4 Tuners) & then below it shows a box "SHow Details". When I click on that I get

4 additional tuners were found with this tv signal, but will not be configured. You may only have 4 tuners per source for your operating system.

I am setting this up with Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit
erkotz wrote:Did Windows Media Center give you a message along the lines of other tuners were found, but will not be configured, or did it actually only find one card? As long as you are on the latest InfiniTV software, it should "just work"

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:27 am

And this is after installing the ceton drivers?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:47 am

Yes.

This is what I did. Installed Windows, Installed the Integrated Video Drivers. Installed the Digital Cable Advisor. INstalled The Ceton Software.

Brought up Media Center. Selected Express setup. Ran the Digital Cable Advisor. Had it accept the changes. Went to Setup TV. Type in my zip code & pretty much recieved the message I got.

If I remember correctly when I set this up using Win 7 64 bit Professional, I got the same message

If there is a couple of things to try, I wouldn't mind trying just to see if I could get it to work but worst comes to worst, I use Tuner Salad & go on with life :)

It might be a sign that I am supposed to use Tuner Salad because I was thinking of adding a 3rd Ceton device to "fill up" the remaining tuners available. It's like having that extra memory slot & wanting to get a stick of ram to fill the slot.
makryger wrote:And this is after installing the ceton drivers?

toddos

Post by toddos » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:53 am

choliscott wrote:Yes.

This is what I did. Installed Windows, Installed the Integrated Video Drivers. Installed the Digital Cable Advisor. INstalled The Ceton Software.

Brought up Media Center. Selected Express setup. Ran the Digital Cable Advisor. Had it accept the changes. Went to Setup TV. Type in my zip code & pretty much recieved the message I got.

If I remember correctly when I set this up using Win 7 64 bit Professional, I got the same message

If there is a couple of things to try, I wouldn't mind trying just to see if I could get it to work but worst comes to worst, I use Tuner Salad & go on with life :)

It might be a sign that I am supposed to use Tuner Salad because I was thinking of adding a 3rd Ceton device to "fill up" the remaining tuners available. It's like having that extra memory slot & wanting to get a stick of ram to fill the slot.
Tuner Salad should be unnecessary. Did you try opening the Ceton Diagnostics app (from the Start Menu, not the one in Media Center)? Did you check for firmware updates?

As has already been mentioned, the latest Ceton drivers/software will increase the limit of usable tuners in MC to 30 without the need for Tuner Salad. If this is not happening, you should consider opening a ticket with Ceton and see if they can walk you through whatever's necessary.

My setup is Win 7 x64 Ultimate (functionally the same as Pro for this discussion) with 2x InfiniTV 4 PCIe cards and no Tuner Salad. All 8 tuners were recognized and configured by Media Center without issue.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:59 am

Firmware version 1.1.2.4 Hardware 4884 on both cards.

On the infinitv tab it shows

Driver package 1.5.4304.6
Diagnostic tool 1.5.00
PCI driver 1.0.2.4

I did update the firmware a few days ago.

[quote="toddos

Tuner Salad should be unnecessary. Did you try opening the Ceton Diagnostics app (from the Start Menu, not the one in Media Center)? Did you check for firmware updates?

As has already been mentioned, the latest Ceton drivers/software will increase the limit of usable tuners in MC to 30 without the need for Tuner Salad. If this is not happening, you should consider opening a ticket with Ceton and see if they can walk you through whatever's necessary.

My setup is Win 7 x64 Ultimate (functionally the same as Pro for this discussion) with 2x InfiniTV 4 PCIe cards and no Tuner Salad. All 8 tuners were recognized and configured by Media Center without issue.[/quote]

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Make sure you are downloading the latest software drivers from Ceton's site, the update utility may not prompt you for the latest driver package (this happened to me) go to the site and get the latest package. Once installed check to make sure both cards are up to date with the latest firmware as well.
newfiend

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:41 pm

choliscott wrote:Firmware version 1.1.2.4 Hardware 4884 on both cards.

Diagnostic tool 1.5.00
PCI driver 1.0.2.4

[quote="toddos

My setup is Win 7 x64 Ultimate (functionally the same as Pro for this discussion) with 2x InfiniTV 4 PCIe cards and no Tuner Salad. All 8 tuners were recognized and configured by Media Center without issue.
[/quote]
did you try using the diagnostic utility to rediscover the tuners after the firmware update ?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:08 pm

I re-downloaded the install software before I did my reinstall. It ended up being the same version that I used before & while I did update the firmware a few days ago, I checked again yesterday & it was up to date
newfiend wrote:Make sure you are downloading the latest software drivers from Ceton's site, the update utility may not prompt you for the latest driver package (this happened to me) go to the site and get the latest package. Once installed check to make sure both cards are up to date with the latest firmware as well.
newfiend

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Can I ask what do you mean by this? If you mean did I go back into Diagnostics & see if it's showing both cards & 4 tuners on each, yes I did.
newfiend wrote:

Diagnostic tool 1.5.00
PCI driver 1.0.2.4

[quote="toddos

did you try using the diagnostic utility to rediscover the tuners after the firmware update ?

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express[/quote]

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:08 pm

At this point, it may actually be more time-saving to just try tuner salad. It's not actually installing anything, so it doesn't actually increase the footprint of your system

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 pm

choliscott wrote:Can I ask what do you mean by this? If you mean did I go back into Diagnostics & see if it's showing both cards & 4 tuners on each, yes I did.
newfiend wrote:

Diagnostic tool 1.5.00
PCI driver 1.0.2.4

[quote="toddos

[/quote]

In the Ceton Diag. Utility on the Devices Tab at the bottom are two buttons, Clear Tuner Configuration & Discover Tuners.
Have you tried Clearing the Tuner Config and then Discovering the Tuners again with the other button?
Make sure you do this for BOTH tuners by selecting each tuner one at a time from the drop down box at the top of the Diag. Utility. If you have shared any of the tuners on your network with other PC's you might consider clicking on the Reset Network Settings as well.. You will have to re-run Live TV setup afterward if I remember correctly..
newfiend~
Attachments
cetondiag.png

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 pm

I can say that I did not try this, but just did for both tuners & still got the same result. I should add that when I hit the discover tuners (after clearing them), one took about a minute to rediscover, while the other took a few minutes to rediscover.

I will be getting in the SSD drive I have on order on Thursday & will be doing another reinstall. Anything else to try (while I don't have media center fully running at the moment)? Tuner salad does work for me & I can continue to use that, but wanted to try & see if I could get my setup to work without using it.

Worst comes to worst, my hardware needs the use of Tuner Salad & I would be stuck with the max of 12 tuners :)

newfiend wrote:
In the Ceton Diag. Utility on the Devices Tab at the bottom are two buttons, Clear Tuner Configuration & Discover Tuners.
Have you tried Clearing the Tuner Config and then Discovering the Tuners again with the other button?
Make sure you do this for BOTH tuners by selecting each tuner one at a time from the drop down box at the top of the Diag. Utility. If you have shared any of the tuners on your network with other PC's you might consider clicking on the Reset Network Settings as well.. You will have to re-run Live TV setup afterward if I remember correctly..
newfiend~