Adding Another InfiniTV USB to my HTPC

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Adding Another InfiniTV USB to my HTPC

Post by newfiend » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:36 pm

I currently have the PCIe version in my PC. I just ordered a InfiniTV4 USB and it's on its way.. I should have it Monday. My question is.. When adding the new USB model is there anything special I have to do other than get another cableCARD and have it activated by Comcast and running through Live TV setup again to add the new Tuners?
I am assuming I should be all set with the DCA as I ran that when I installed the current Internal model.
Anything I should look out for when activating or Installing?
Thanks,
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:42 pm

There is no need to run the DCA a second time. Pairing the CableCARD is identical on the PCIe and USB units.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Ok, sounds like a piece of cake then.. Thanks erkotz.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:19 am

Got My Ceton USB today, Plugged it in, Hooked up the USB cord and Windows found the new hardware and installed the drivers. Ceton Diagnostic says I need a cableCARD.. (This is where I should have been smart and ordered one a week ago when I ordered the Tuner) I have to wait till the 15th for the card.. bummer..
On a positive note the USB unit is nice.. well made and stylish! Nice Work Ceton Guys!
Now.. About those echo's..... Soon? Please?!?!? :D
newfiend~

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:45 am

*pets the Echo next to him* :twisted:

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:19 am

STOP!

(say, you guys didn't create the system WOW Cable is beginning to roll out, did you?)

KHTPC75

Post by KHTPC75 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:38 am

I'm pretty sure that WOW is using a Arris Moxi Gateway for their Ultra TV service.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:53 am

Ah, forgot about Moxi. That makes sense.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:47 pm

erkotz wrote:*pets the Echo next to him* :twisted:
Darn you erkotz!! I am such the hardware junkie.. You don't know how much that's killing me inside! LOL

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 am

Comcast called today and is coming out tomorrow with my new CC.. WOOHOO! 8 Tuners... No more conflicts between recordings and extender usage.. :)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Got the new CC for the USB unit, Ran through TV Setup and it found the 4 new tuners. I just need to do a little tweaking to make sure everything is working. I had to get back to work and had just enough time at lunch to let the comcast guy in and let him pair the CC. Hopefully I'll have all 8 working tonight.. Wish me luck.
newfiend~

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:38 pm

Good luck :thumbup:

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:21 am

Ok.. after a phone call to comcast I have it all working!! YAY!! :mrgreen:
It seems that I didn't have entitlement on my new cableCARD in the USB unit. After calling comcast (Thanks to the added Phone # cableCARD activation sheet inside the InfiniTV box) I was able to have the tech send another INIT hit to the card and that fixed most of the problem.. But then I had massive Macroblocking and weak TV signal messages in MC.. After checking all the cables (and swapping out a splitter) I figured out that the cable had come a bit loose at the wall. Tightened that up and all is good.. Both PCIe and USB Cetons are working great.
Recorded 7 shows and watched another.. WOW..
If you would have told me a year ago I would have or need more than 4 tuners I would have called you crazy.. I guess I have officially graduated to a MCE Junkie. ;)
As you start adding more extenders you need more tuners.. Now I don't have to worry about the kids killing off the wife's recordings... Thanks again Ceton.
newfiend~

dano

Post by dano » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Let me know when you get your first bill.. I just added a 2nd Ceton card to my MCE and they are trying to charge me an additional outlet fee for the Ceton (instead of the 1.18 for the 2nd CableCARD). This has gotten me to the point where I think I am going to cancel Comcast (again) and go back to DirecTV after being away from them for 2 years.

Dan

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:36 pm

dano wrote:Let me know when you get your first bill.. I just added a 2nd Ceton card to my MCE and they are trying to charge me an additional outlet fee for the Ceton (instead of the 1.18 for the 2nd CableCARD). This has gotten me to the point where I think I am going to cancel Comcast (again) and go back to DirecTV after being away from them for 2 years.

Dan
I would call customer service and tell them exactly that!!!.. If they don't make it right you'll switch to DISH... Bet they change their tune real quick..
Get in a Online Chat with Comcast, Point them to this link on their own site: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-su ... cablecard/
It states..
•Your first CableCARD is provided at no charge; if you need a second one for the same device, you’ll be charged $1.50/month.IMO your HTPC is the "Same Device".. It's an additional $1.50 a month.
Thats what they will charge me or my WIFE will deal with them.. and then I bet I will have a credit instead.. She can be very ... Lets say Diplomatic... :mrgreen:
newfiend~

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:59 am

Wait, you are confusing 2 different things. Dano is being charged an additional outlet fee, which is basically a fee to hook up a 2nd device to the cable network. That's separate from the CableCARD charge listed on the Comcast website you linked.

On a side note, the HTPC is not the "device". The tuner is the "device". Why? Because their website says "CableCARD device". The HTPC is not a "CableCARD device". The CableCARD tuner itself is the "CableCARD device". So technically, the 2nd CableCARD is not for the same device as the first CableCARD. Now if we were talking about the 6-tuner HDHomeRun Prime, which is a single "CableCARD device" that requires 2 CableCARDs, that would be different.

WhatHappend

Post by WhatHappend » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:43 am

Comcast is breaking the law by charging the additional outlet fee for cablecards:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

3rd para:
Use your own set-top box without extra charge. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD or tuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using your own digital-cable-ready television or set-top box.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:08 pm

True, but filing an FCC complaint about it will generally get you nowhere. I just did that and Comcast exec relations continues to claim (both to me and to the FCC) that the additional outlet fee is legit because they charge it both for cablecard users and for STBs.

I disagree of course based on the new rules you cited, but the FCC will probably take no action unless more people complain. Comcast is violating the rules here because a simple card rental charge is what the FCC intended, not this outlet fee minus credit BS. That's what every other cableCo does, but not Comcast.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Comcast doesn't charge an additional service fee for "using your own digital-cable-ready television or set-top box". You can use whatever you want...your own equipment or theirs. It's not a fee for using your own equipment. It's a fee for allowing you to have service to more than one cable outlet in your home. If you have 2 cable boxes, you pay an additional outlet fee for the 2nd cable box. If you have 2 CableCARDs, you pay an additional outlet fee for the 2nd CableCARD.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:32 pm

richard1980 wrote:On a side note, the HTPC is not the "device". The tuner is the "device". Why? Because their website says "CableCARD device". The HTPC is not a "CableCARD device". The CableCARD tuner itself is the "CableCARD device". So technically, the 2nd CableCARD is not for the same device as the first CableCARD. Now if we were talking about the 6-tuner HDHomeRun Prime, which is a single "CableCARD device" that requires 2 CableCARDs, that would be different.
I can see arguments either way. Technically, the HDHRP-6 is two CableLabs certified tuners in a single case. I think that would give some credibility to Comcast treating it as two devices, as opposed to a TiVo that is a single certified device that took two cards (older Series 3 units). If I took a sawzall and cut the HDHRP-6 down the middle, would they consider it two devices? I'm inclined to say that if the HDHRP-6 (which is really two certified devices stuck in a single case) a single device, it's logical to argue that a HTPC with 2 InfiniTV PCIe cards installed in it is also a single device, as it too is a single case with two certified devices in it.
slowbiscuit wrote:True, but filing an FCC complaint about it will generally get you nowhere. I just did that and Comcast exec relations continues to claim (both to me and to the FCC) that the additional outlet fee is legit because they charge it both for cablecard users and for STBs.

I disagree of course based on the new rules you cited, but the FCC will probably take no action unless more people complain. Comcast is violating the rules here because a simple card rental charge is what the FCC intended, not this outlet fee minus credit BS. That's what every other cableCo does, but not Comcast.
My (non-lawyer) interpretation of that rule is they meant additional as in beyond what is charged for STB users, not that they can't charge a fee, period. As far as I know, they are in the clear legally because they also charge it for STBs (though I do find it a bit annoying, to be honest).