SSD Drive install - confusion

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

SSD Drive install - confusion

Post by choliscott » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:01 am

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of installing a SSD drive in my HTPC as the OS drive. Can someone please tell me where I am wrong in my steps. If I get a drive, i wasn't planning on replacing it in a "year or two", so I would like to keep the writes down to a minimum (since to my understanding, too many writes is what can "kill" the drive

Installing Windows 7
Move the location of the public folders to a regular drive
setup WMC
install the add on's. Going by memory, most would install to the OS drive. Based on the add on's below, is there any issues with having them installed on the SSD drive.

My add on's

Storage pooler
DVRmsToolbox
Comskip
channel logos
RecordedTvHd
VmcPlayit

Thanks

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Nope, no issues installing apps and plugins on the SSD. The most important thing is pointing the Recorded TV folder to a traditional drive.

Also, make sure you update the SSD's firmware before you use it. The best approach is to install it as a secondary drive in another computer, as you can't update the firmware if an OS is running.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:37 pm

There's only one thing you'll want to move off of the SSD, and that's the Recorded TV folder. The storage pooler should take care of that. Everything else should stay on the SSD.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:15 pm

WAF should turn on automatically when you install it :P
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Scallica wrote:Also, make sure you update the SSD's firmware before you use it. The best approach is to install it as a secondary drive in another computer, as you can't update the firmware if an OS is running.
wow, I never realized that.

Sounds like a big pain in the patoot, frankly.

Is this common for these drives? Is it really necessary to have a "prep" computer available just to install an SSD?

Maybe Micro Center would do that as a service (free, of course, if they want me to buy it...).

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm

While its not absolutely required to upgrade the firmware, several users reported BSODs with some SSDs, and resolved the issue with a firmware upgrade.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:56 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Scallica wrote:Also, make sure you update the SSD's firmware before you use it. The best approach is to install it as a secondary drive in another computer, as you can't update the firmware if an OS is running.
wow, I never realized that.

Sounds like a big pain in the patoot, frankly.

Is this common for these drives? Is it really necessary to have a "prep" computer available just to install an SSD?

Maybe Micro Center would do that as a service (free, of course, if they want me to buy it...).
You can udtate firmware with a bootable disk provided by the vendor/vendor's website. Intel SSDs can be upgraded on a Windows level via the current driver package.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 am

Can I ask how storage pooler would move the recorded tv folder from the SSD drive to another? I know when i installed it, it defaulted to C:\users... & I added the other drives I have installed.

Am I to assume that I would want to tell Storage pooler to use something like D:\tv E:\Tv, etc?
richard1980 wrote:There's only one thing you'll want to move off of the SSD, and that's the Recorded TV folder. The storage pooler should take care of that. Everything else should stay on the SSD.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:31 pm

You just have to remove the references to C:\ in the configuration.

burnsey

Post by burnsey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Can anyone recommend what the smallest useable ssd would be? I use whs for recorded tv storage so just efficient OS really req

STC

Post by STC » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 pm

You can certainly use a 64GB SSD for just OS. My HTPC is configured this way.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:55 pm

burnsey wrote:Can anyone recommend what the smallest useable ssd would be?
16GB is the smallest available, but I would suggest a 64GB drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820139946

burnsey

Post by burnsey » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Scallica wrote:
burnsey wrote:Can anyone recommend what the smallest useable ssd would be?
16GB is the smallest available, but I would suggest a 64GB drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820139946

Cheers guys

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:11 am

16 Gigs won't hold the OS. Win7x64 is roughly 23 GB. I don't think you can really go smaller than 32, they make 40's, but, 64 seems to be the cheap drive of choice. The Crucial m4 (SATA III) was on sale last week at NewEgg for 65, they ran out that day, but keep your eyes open, I bet you can find them for $80 or less this week or next.

You can flash the drive from BIOS, with or without an OS installed. I've seen it recommended to flash prior to the OS install. I did not.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:14 am

Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (SP1), my current used space on C:\ is 14.8 GB. A few weeks ago I shrank it down to less than 13 GB so I could do some testing.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:24 am

Well I ordered a 64 GB Sata 2 SSD drive for $50 AR thru Newegg. I see later they have a Sata 3 64 Gig for $60 AR, but oh well (& also the fact I don't think I have SATA 3 ports on my WMC motherboard.)

Can someone please correct me, that by adding a SSD should help with the following:

Bringing up any of the guides (recording, channel) faster.
Scheduling of shows (when I schedule a "series" it takes a few minutes before it shows the red dots)

I assume it brings up the menus on the extenders faster also

Thanks

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:28 am

Update time. I have recieved my SSD drive (mind you, its only a 64 GB Sata 2 drive). It was pretty simple to setup & get to move the recording folder to not use the standard one under C:\users\public....

The only thing i had to change, was in the registry for where DVRMSTOOLBOX was creating log files.

For the performance, I've noticed the menus come up a lot faster (local & on the extenders) & scheduling shows goes a lot faster also

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:39 pm

Some will disagree with me, but you will also want to move the Temporary Internet Files (TIF) directory. You can do this by opening IE, Click the "Tools" menu > Internet Options. Then click the "Settings" button in the "Browsing History" section, click the "Move folder" button, and choose a new spot for the TIF folder.

The reason for doing this is because the NetFlix plugin uses TIF for a video buffer. If you watch a lot of NetFlix, it will be doing a LOT of writing to your SSD.

PlayOn and vmcPlayIt also buffer their files. PlayOn actually has this topic on their forum... and provides a little program to auto-magically create a Junction in your file system to point to a new buffer folder on your HDD. With vmcPlayIt, you have to manually create the junction for each user account. I can't remember the exact folder that needs to be moved off the top of my head, but I can look if you need to know.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:47 pm

I can move that folder. When I read the first part, I was questioning why would i move is, especially if I'm not going to be using IE on that computer, but mentioning netflix made sense.

Any other folders I should move? I have it setup so it doesn't use the SSD for show recording

Thanks!!
barnabas1969 wrote:Some will disagree with me, but you will also want to move the Temporary Internet Files (TIF) directory. You can do this by opening IE, Click the "Tools" menu > Internet Options. Then click the "Settings" button in the "Browsing History" section, click the "Move folder" button, and choose a new spot for the TIF folder.

The reason for doing this is because the NetFlix plugin uses TIF for a video buffer. If you watch a lot of NetFlix, it will be doing a LOT of writing to your SSD.

PlayOn and vmcPlayIt also buffer their files. PlayOn actually has this topic on their forum... and provides a little program to auto-magically create a Junction in your file system to point to a new buffer folder on your HDD. With vmcPlayIt, you have to manually create the junction for each user account. I can't remember the exact folder that needs to be moved off the top of my head, but I can look if you need to know.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Do you use PlayOn or vmcPlayIt much?