Feature Requests for Q / Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
epete

HTPC Specs: Show details

Feature Requests for Q / Echo

Post by epete » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:31 pm

My ReplayTV's have a feature that is very useful that I have always missed from Media Center. When setting up recordings, I am able to assign a category to the recordings. I am also able to create Category Names. Then when viewing the Recorded TV folder, I am able to view by Category and filter out all of the other programs.

The way I used this feature was to have each family members name as a category. When the shows recorded I could simply look under my name and only have to search through the shows that were recorded for me.

I would love it if Ceton could implement something like this in Q.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:25 pm

I, too, am a former ReplayTV user, and had the same request.

Apparently this solves the problem happily for many people:

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/

However, please let me jump on the bandwagon and ask that the Q have this basic functionality in some for or another.

In fact, I would be happy to ship a ReplayTV to Ceton so they can see how a high quality set of features has already been established in the world, so they don't have to reinvent the wheel wondering what people want.

epete

Post by epete » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:38 pm

My wife still uses ReplayTV and only switches to media center for the several digital channels that are no longer broadcasting in Analog over out cable network. Her major issue with Media Center is readability of the Guide and show description. While the resolution is 480P on ReplayTV, the font size is clearer.

I also liked how ReplayTV had Tabs in the Recorded TV folder that represented each Replay that it discovered on the network. It is an easy way to browse to the specific unit and look at the shows recorded on that specific device.

Than there was the feature where you could send a show on your device to a friend's ReplayTV over the internet. Probably a controversial feature.

As far as the ReplayTV feature Set/Functionality goes, I am not sure how much is patented and now owned by DirecTV.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:42 pm

adam1991 wrote:In fact, I would be happy to ship a ReplayTV to Ceton so they can see how a high quality set of features has already been established in the world, so they don't have to reinvent the wheel wondering what people want.
I'm quite familiar with the ReplayTV (in fact, I would personally argue that TiVo has only recently caught up to it's feature set, and TiVo should have been the company that went bankrupt) and I'm *still* trying to pry the ReplayTV units out of my parent's hands, something like 10 years after they bought them. Hopefully Q + Echo will do it :D
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:07 pm

Chances are, only the loss of NTSC will do that.

I speak from experience...

Not that I regret it. I wasn't going to change until I was forced, but fortunately, I wasn't forced until there was a solution of, overall, equal quality available to me.

In all seriousness, I was prepared simply to quit watching TV. Can't use my Replay? Gotta jury-rig--and PAY FOR, every month--multiple converter boxes, introducing multiple weaknesses into the system? Wasn't going to happen. Thank God for Ceton.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:23 pm

What are the hardware specs of the Q? Is it running Windows 8 in the background? Will their be a way to do non standard installs? (access to desktop etc?) I'd like to be able to install iTunes on this box if it's running regular windows in the background. (and control it via my iphone etc) The Q would be the perfect replacement of my HTPC if we can still some how use it in regular PC mode as well. (is that too far of a stretch to ask?) I know this is supposed to be a rock solid "appliance" but you know how power users are. I'd gladly sell my current system with USB tuners and switch to a Q if this is the case. Either way I'm getting the Echo and Companion apps for sure still. (but would love a Q as well) So basically I'm asking how closed vs customizable is the Q going to be? (even if we void warranty etc)

I'd also like to be able to install http://reflectionapp.com (for iPhone/iPad mirroring)

Edit: almost forgot to add thy I'd need MyMovies support as well (client mode connected to my WHS box running MM)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:25 am

You can do all of that today. Build your own MC7 machine.

Right now we don't know what, if anything, the Q adds to a standard MC7 box outside of "if you leave it alone, we can support it".

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:22 am

adam1991 wrote:You can do all of that today. Build your own MC7 machine.

Right now we don't know what, if anything, the Q adds to a standard MC7 box outside of "if you leave it alone, we can support it".
My current Shuttle PC has weird stability issues. I've tried replacing cables, video cards, you name it.

I just tested the Zotac ZBox ID82 but it had the pixalation issues with recorded HD channels unfortunatly. (it's a good price, quiet, and just the right size) the i3 is just enough horse power but the HD 3000 graphics is the issue I think.
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?product_ ... mid=100170

I'd gladly buy a pre-built system such as the Q if it's totally optimized meaning, tested to be more stable than your average pot luck home built machine. (and has extra bells/whistles)

I'm looking forward to hearing more specs and details on the final product. Maybe I won't even need My Movies plug-in if their own collector for movies/tv shows is as good or better.

I wanted to at least make sure my suggestion of keeping things "open" for power users is a possibility.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:29 am

The more you pile onto it, the weaker it becomes.

So you have to start out with something far stronger and more thought-out than "pot luck".

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:33 am

adam1991 wrote:The more you pile onto it, the weaker it becomes.

So you have to start out with something far stronger and more thought-out than "pot luck".
Maybe Windows 8 will be more stable, it's too bad they haven't released Media Center for MSDN RTM yet. (or else I'd give it a try)

My system is pretty well thought out, but since it's unique to what anyone else has, I still label it "Pot Luck"

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Jon,

If you read through some of the old threads about the Q, you will see that there was some conversation about being able to "break the glass" on the Q, and install your own OS. Ceton said they were considering it, but there was never a final decision posted here. The Q will come with W7 embedded. You won't be able to install your own apps... only apps that are approved and controlled by Ceton will be allowed unless you "break the glass" by installing your own OS. If Ceton allows a method to do this, they will no longer support you after you load your own OS. There was also talk of providing a means to re-install their software... and in that case, you would be supported again. All this is only speculation though... because Ceton never gave us their final decision on the subject.