Client HTTP link setup

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
EdJ

HTPC Specs: Show details

Client HTTP link setup

Post by EdJ » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:23 pm

Hi all,

I've been using epg123 for several years (thanks Gary!) and have run into an issue that I've not been able to figure out. I have a new Win11 HTPC with WMC that runs epg123 in "Full Mode." Additionally, I have a laptop with WMC running on a Win10 and only the epg123 Client installed. Prior to the new HTPC build, I had Win10 server running epg123 in Full Mode, and I was able to set up the laptop via the config GUI that created the HTTP connection to the MXF file. With the new HTPC, I am no longer finding it published in the config GUI, so I have to point the client at a mapped drive locally or the original network shared file on the HTPC. (Which has known issues due to permissions that I still haven't figured out either...)

My question - is there a way to force the HTPC to "publish" itself as the epg123 server?

I know that it can work (it did on the old server), and I'm guessing that it's something relatively easy that I've not properly configured or that I'm just missing. Any and all suggestions and pointers welcome!

Thanks,
Last edited by EdJ on Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EJ
Early adopter of WMC with Windows XP and MCE

EdJ

Post by EdJ » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:56 pm

Additional info...

- HTPC: Win11 Pro
- Laptop: Win10 Home
- epg123: 1.8.2.9
EJ

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:09 am

It is not in the config GUI. With the client, delete your current task and then click the textbox next to the Automatch checkbox. It will then search for the new epg123 server (make sure it is on) and then create the task once it is found.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

EdJ

Post by EdJ » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:25 am

Thanks Gary...

Correct - it's in the Scheduled Task setup that the epg123 server is not showing up in the list of Available Servers. (Not the Config GUI, as initially stated - see attached...) I've tried deleting and resetting the Scheduled Task several times, using the Refresh button repeatedly, cycling the epg123 Server Service, etc. - but haven't found anything that works.

BTW - on the Win11 HTPC machine that running the epg123 Server Service, it's running in Full Mode and continues to run both the server and client components as expected.
Attachments
ClientConfig_snip.jpg
EJ

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:24 am

On the Win11 machine, did you use the installer or the portable version? If portable, then it did not install the server service. Another option is that the firewall is blocking the server service from accessing the network. In Task Manager, you should see "epg123Server.exe" running.
- Gary

EdJ

Post by EdJ » Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:33 pm

On the Win11 HTPC - I checked the install package that I downloaded, and it's the full installer package that's currently available on the web site. The epg123 server service is running, and shows up in the Task Manager (epg123Server.exe) and the MMC Services list. (Automatic, Delayed Start) The Scheduled Tasks are there, and it pulled the latest SD updates, created the mxf, and updated WMC overnight. I also checked Windows Defender Firewall, and epg123 has two entries in the Allowed Apps list, one for TCP and one for UDP. (Both using port 9009...) I turned the firewall off, and the server still did not show up on the laptop/client after several attempts to delete/create a new task.

On the Win10 laptop/client machine - I checked the firewall and there are two entries in the allowed list there as well. One is listed for the private network, and one is for the public network, and there is no specific port association shown. (I think that this is normal/correct.) I double-checked the Task Scheduler and looked at all of the settings there, and they all looked to be appropriate as well. I tried getting the server to show up after each change or tweak, and still have had no success.

Are there any other settings to check or things to try? While it's a bit painful, maybe it's time to just fully uninstall epg123 and start fresh? I think I'd start by doing it on the laptop/client, and then if that didn't get things running properly move on to the HTPC server. For the laptop/client, I usually use the full installer and just select the client install - is it better to use the portable version on the client?
EJ

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:39 pm

So there are a couple things to also consider.

Do both machines have network discovery enabled?

Do both machines identify your network as Private?

Are both machines on the same network subnet, and the wireless connection allows seeing other devices on the network? (i.e. not a guest wireless connection)

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

- Gary

EdJ

Post by EdJ » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:09 pm

- Do both machines have network discovery enabled? {Yes, normally it's just the Private network enabled, but both Private and Public are enabled right now.]
- Do both machines identify your network as Private? [Yes]
- Are both machines on the same network subnet {Yes], and the wireless connection allows seeing other devices on the network? (i.e. not a guest wireless connection)
[Yes - both of the machines are hard wired on the network, I can see shared folders on other machines, map network drives from both, etc.]
EJ

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:37 am

Okay, just to make sure your server service is running okay, open a browser and go to http://<ip_address>:9009/epg123/epg123.cfg. It should download your configuration file from the server.

EDIT: that would be calling the IP address of your Win11 server from the laptop.
- Gary

EdJ

Post by EdJ » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:39 am

Yep, that did indeed work from the laptop... (Config file showed up as unformatted XML in the browser frame...) It also returns the same from my workstation, another laptop, my Android tablet, etc.
EJ

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:44 pm

So it is UDP being blocked somewhere. The client sends out a broadcast on UDP 9009 and looks for responses from the server(s). TCP 9009 is obviously working. You can install the server part on another computer on the network and see if the laptop sees that one, maybe isolate to the new HTPC.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:06 pm

I think I may have found a path to this. Is your server using Schedules Direct, or is it strictly SiliconDust HDHR DVR Service?

EDIT: nvm. I was looking at the wrong part of the code. It should still work with a HDHR2MXF server component install.
- Gary

EdJ

Post by EdJ » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:07 pm

Okay - that's beginning to at least narrow it down. I'll take a look at my router and see if perhaps it's blocking UDP packets for some reason, and I can install the server software on my workstation to test it as well. While I use Silicone Dust OTA tuners, I am using Schedules Direct for program data.

BTW - this is certainly not a big issue as everything is working as far as WMC and epg123 goes, I just have to remember to manually update the guide on the laptop once in a while. It's just an irritant when something that I know works, I have seen it work, and right now - it's not working. :problem: I'll let you know what I find...
EJ

EdJ

Post by EdJ » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:29 am

Update...

- Installed EPG123 Server on my Win11 Pro Workstation. Win10 laptop/client still did not see either server instance. (HTPC/Workstation)
-- This outcome made me suspect the laptop/client.
- Revived an old HTPC "Lab" machine that had WMC and EPG123 installed, started EPG123 running in Full Mode. Laptop did not recognize any of the server instances.
- On the Lab machine, moved EPG123 from Full Mode to Client Mode. Clicked to configure path, and both the HTPC and the Workstation EPG123 servers showed up.
- Re-confirmed that there were no EPG123 Servers showing up on the laptop - reaffirming that laptop config seemed to be the issue.
- Downloaded "fresh bits" (1.8.2.9 - full installer package) and reinstalled fresh Client bits on top of existing. (As I would do with an upgrade install...)
- Brought up EPG123 Client, deleted the existing Scheduled Task, and when I clicked in to set the MXF path, all three of the server instances showed up. (HTPC, Workstation, Lab)

At this point, I suspect that I either had a bad/corrupted download (less likely?) or somehow just a bad Client install that somehow didn't get the UDP connection properly configured (more probable?). (Although I can't prove either...) I have removed the two EPG123 test instances and have set up the Scheduled Task on the laptop to run on the HTPC via the http connection. The log shows that initial testing of a Scheduled Task was successful, and I have reset the Scheduled Task to it's normal time and will let it run for a couple of days to see how things go. :thumbup:
EJ

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:37 am

Yah, it sounds like the first install didn't setup the firewall successfully. Glad you found it and reported back! Thanks!
- Gary

EdJ

Post by EdJ » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:07 pm

Follow up to close out...

EPG123 Client has successfully updated on the laptop for the past 3 days, no issues reported in the log so all seems to be back on track.

Thanks, Gary, for engaging here as well as all your efforts to keep WMC and EPG123 alive and well! :thumbup: :clap:
EJ

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:10 am

The UDP connection is only used with a client only setup to search for the server when creating the scheduled task or linking the configuration GUI to the server. It is not used for any other operation.
- Gary