Upgraded AMD MB & CPU - DRM issues

mmatheny

HTPC Specs: Show details

Upgraded AMD MB & CPU - DRM issues

Post by mmatheny » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:44 pm

The old MB and CPU were AMD also. How can I get it to play previous recordings and live TV? Do I have to do the DRMReset thing? I understand this will probably fix live TV but what about the 2 TB of recordings I have?
Thanx
Mike

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:26 am

The point of PlayReady DRM is to only allow you to play back DRM recordings on the same system they were recorded on.

When you change major components like the CPU and/or motherboard, this changes the "signature" of the machine and makes it look like a different computer from the one you originally recorded the DRMed recordings.

So, most likely, the only way to be able to play back your old DRM recordings would be to put back your old motherboard and/or CPU and if you messed with DRM since you installed the new hardware, probably also restoring an old system image of your OS.

Note that you can make minor hardware changes to your system that won't cause a new signature, but usually major changes like the CPU and/or motherboard are too much and result in a new signature. There have been some people that stated they changed the motherboard with one of the same model and the signature did not change, but these things are purposely vague.

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:08 am

Fixed it. Hooked up a 1 into 2 HDMI splitter I got in an Amazon bin store for $2 that ignores HDCP & it now plays TV & recordings just fine! Been working this every day since Saturday. Cheap quick fix.
I’ve changed the MB before & no issues. Lucky I guess.
Mike

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:56 am

Well after shutting down WMC & firing back up now gives the files needed to display video are not installed or working correctly. All I want to do now is be able to record & watch live TV!! I’ve followed the guide on removing WMC & cleaning DRM & reinstalling WMC & reinstalling Playready. What’s strange is it played for 39 minutes on live tv until I shut it down to mess with another program. Seems like playready isn’t being installed correctly - unable to install it from inside WMC because it says it can’t connect to the internet & yes the internet is set to always on.
Last edited by mmatheny on Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:57 am

This is a Win7 SP1 Ultimate install.
Mike

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:29 am

So windows had hosed my video drivers up is why it quit playing videos. Removed & reinstalled & so far good for over an hour.
Mike

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:57 pm

So I still need help getting playready working. It won’t update playready because it says I have no internet connection but that’s BS because I’ve been searching & downloading every day on it. I even tried 2 other NICs!
Thanx
Mike

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:16 pm

mmatheny wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:57 pmIt won’t update playready because it says I have no internet connection but that’s BS...
Have you tried the standalone installer?

https://garyan2.github.io/drm.html