WMC infrared remote control issues

sjr56stn

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC infrared remote control issues

Post by sjr56stn » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:53 pm

The Moneual Moncaso 320 remote control for my media computer has stopped working, and no amount of fiddling or cleaning the contacts seems to have resurrected it. Replacements do not seem to be available anywhere, and when you have a failed remote you cannot ‘teach’ a new universal remote in its learning mode. The Moneual Moncaso 320 IR codes also seem unlikely to appear on any IR codes database.
So I got out the Hauppauge RC6 remote control that came with my HVR4400 tuner card, that I have never used. I plugged in its IR receiver, and immediately it worked. The annoying thing was that the green button on this remote started WinTV instead of (and sometimes as well as) WMC. I spent a lot of time trying to understand the irremote.ini file and editing it to fix this problem, but to no avail. Eventually I randomly hit on the idea of stopping Hauppauge’s IR.EXE process, and removing it from the PC startup programs, and hey presto the green button on the remote now starts WMC, and the on/off button puts the PC to sleep. The other buttons also seem to do all the right things in WMC.
I haven’t yet found a way of exiting WMC, or waking the PC from sleep using this remote.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:27 pm

is the remote a standard Media Center remote? Lots of them on Ebay ( in the UK)

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:38 pm

At a minimum you will need to disable all usb sleep options (power profile) and enable wake on usb and/or the specific device, if listed, in device manager. It's possible you may need to also make bios changes.

I have one win11 laptop that, so far, I've not had luck getting to wake on usb devices. The same device and receiver worked on the previous win10 pc.

sjr56stn

Post by sjr56stn » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:00 am

I found an original Moncaso IR remote on Ebay that arrived yesterday, and very pleased to say that it works perfectly.