I occasionally get a prompt "CableCARD detected"

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

I occasionally get a prompt "CableCARD detected"

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Does anyone else occasionally get a prompt to setup the cable CARD tuner after resuming from sleep? I have the Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe card. It works ok (except for the known-issue with macroblocking). However, I occasionally get a prompt in Media Center to setup a new card after waking the machine from standby. I always click "setup later", and then I don't see the message again for a while... maybe days, weeks, or months.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:45 am

I used to have that happen to me once in a while on my previous system. I'd just do the same as you and click later.

My current systems in kinda in limbo right now.. so I can't say if it still happens as I been redoing windows and changing motherboards, ect. I haven't seen it yet though.

WhatHappend

Post by WhatHappend » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:52 am

I get the exact same behavior as the OP. I think it happens after the Tuner crashes and then restarts itself. The ultimate fix is for Ceton for fix all the sources of tuner crashes. They're currently working on multiple crash fixes in the new betas. But for me the new betas crash more often, so I keep rolling back to the last released version.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:19 pm

That's an interesting idea, WhatHappend. How can I tell if the card crashed?

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

WhatHappend wrote:But for me the new betas crash more often, so I keep rolling back to the last released version.
Good point, I also rolled back just prior to changing all my hardware. So that's probably why I haven't seen it yet.

WhatHappend

Post by WhatHappend » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:33 am

barnabas1969 wrote:That's an interesting idea, WhatHappend. How can I tell if the card crashed?
If you don't sleep your HTPC, you can look at the up-time on the system tab of the tuner's web page. (This may also work with sleep mode if you catch the issue before your computers sleeps and check the tuner up-time)

Method that works even if you use sleep and don't catch the issue before the computer sleeps.

Use the Ceton diagnostics tool and capture a diag file. Inside the diag zip file look for crashlog.txt.

The first three lines are like this if the time is valid:
Wall Time: Sun Jan 22 03:52:41 2012 UTC
Up Time: 00053.033625:
Version: 1.1.2.4

Else it will show Jan 6,1980 as the time:
Wall Time: Sun Jan 6 00:00:17 1980 UTC
Up Time: 00009.478231:
Version: 1.0.2.2

The log line before the "Backtrace" tells you why it crashed "Fault whee upnp_ocur_serve":

[ 6102.250000] Fault whee upnp_ocur_serve [14375]: segfaults at 0155f000 pc=00192cfc
Backtrace:

PS - There is an undocumented quick way to quickly look at the last crash log using this url: http://192.168.200.1/log.txt (Note: this assumes your Ceton's IP address is 192.168.200.1)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks for the information. The "CableCARD detected" message always happens right after I wake the computer from sleep. I've never seen it happen any other time. I suppose I could write a little program that goes to the URL you provided, and scans for the pertinent info... then, if it is found, it could dump the log and e-mail it somewhere.

Would anyone be interested in something like that?

John Galt

Post by John Galt » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Latest beta firmware for Ceton fixes this issue for me. Go to their site and do a search for firmware beta. Its the first link. Fixes a TON of other issues as well especially with sleep mode.

kalex

Post by kalex » Sat May 26, 2012 3:23 am

I also get that. My firmware was old and drivers old as well. I installed them when i just got my tuner. Its been working fine except for dreaded "subscription required message" once a month where I had to call cablevision. I opened a ticket to Ceton and they suggested i update firmware and drivers. Turned into 3 day battle of me vs. WMC. WMC won and I had to wipe out all of my WMC settings other wise i kept getting "Serious error has occurred". So far i didn't get any error messages but its only been 2 days. I do get them popping up once in a while i just click later and move on

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:22 am

I haven't had this message once since I replaced my Ceton tuner with a HD Home Run Prime two months ago... And set it to a static IP.

dabronxkid

Post by dabronxkid » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:48 pm

Hello all

Long time Lurker first time poster...Please be gentle ;-)

Sorry to bring this Post from the Dead. However, googling my issue, this is the only Post that is similar to the issue that I'm having. I just installed the Ceton Tuner (6) and after a day of use I get the error message above. I'm on my second cablecard and I'm about to reinstall Windows 7 from Scratch. Any other suggestions before I do this.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:23 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I haven't had this message once since I replaced my Ceton tuner with a HD Home Run Prime two months ago... And set it to a static IP.
I have a pair of HDHR Primes - with static IPs - and I get this occasionally. I do have a wall timer turn the power off and back on to each Prime in the middle of the night for other reasons, which is why I assume I get this. But, because it only happens maybe 2-3 times a month, it doesn't really explain it. There is never a problem with tuners being dropped by the system, and if I check all six are available, even if I say "later".

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:45 am

Well, 20 months after my last post, this error message still hasn't happened. My tuners get powered off about every 6 months. I'm still running the firmware/drivers from May 2012, and have no reason to update them.

dabronxkid

Post by dabronxkid » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:06 pm

Thanks for the update. my WAF went way down yesterday after her show didn't record. I wiped the drive and started fresh. After 24 hours I haven't had an issue. Fingers crossed

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:41 am

Out of nowhere, just had my first occurrence of this prompt. It killed two recordings in progress. WMC history said "manually stopped for use by another component". Looked at the Ceton System page, does not say the ETH6 rebooted. Didn't restart WMC or the HTPC but able to use Live Tv, and manually resumed the two recordings that got squashed....

Edit: Tried live Tv again, didn't work right. Rebooted the HTPC just to be safe...

bandook

Post by bandook » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Well, 20 months after my last post, this error message still hasn't happened. My tuners get powered off about every 6 months. I'm still running the firmware/drivers from May 2012, and have no reason to update them.
I think this is the key here. No matter what device you use, once you find a driver/firmware that is stable/ish, rest content and stop hunting demons in your system. Its been 2 years since I've updated drivers for my video card or infinitv4. I've made a system image of my hard drive and just leave it alone. There will be occasional hickups every now then, but it is what it is.
Prior to my htpc, I clearly remember having issues including total lockups with my cc rented DVR. Think I went through 3 of their boxes before I built my htpc. Not trying to preach, just a friendly reminder that in order to be realistic you have to expect some instability now and then. Some have better luck than others, but there is such a mixture of hardware being used and every element of your system can cause issues. Then throw in different brands of TVs and avrs, signal levels, power line stability, and different providers, etc. The more I think about it the more I feel sorry for the support departments of ceton and silicondust.

To be more on topic though, I've had the cablecard message on several occasions. I've both dismissed it and reran the cablecard setup. Not sure it makes a difference because either way there is usually months before I see it again. The other one is the playready update pop-up. I either manually update it, which usually fails multiple times, or dismiss it. Then I won't see it again for months. I've only had this one maybe twice in two years but it was random and seemingly for no reason. I believe both these issues need to be fixed by Microsoft. Its probably as simple as increasing a timeout, but I'm certain they don't give a crap.