DVB-T Channels keep auto-adding

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Wheeker

HTPC Specs: Show details

DVB-T Channels keep auto-adding

Post by Wheeker » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:33 pm

My WMC keeps adding unwanted DVB-T channels to my guide, almost daily. I then have to use EPG123 to disable them. It's almost as if WMC auto-scans for excluded DVB-T channels & then automatically add them to the guide. Is there a way to "lock" the guide once set-up or am I missing a setting to stop this?

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:56 am

You can prevent Windows Media Center from scanning new channels. viewtopic.php?t=826 should put you on the right track.

There are also additional registry values of interest you can add under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\GLID:
  • DisableInbandSchedule = 1: prevent WMC from importing the EPG schedules from the DVB metadata.
  • DisableInbandService = 1: prevent WMC from importing the services/channels present in the DVB metadata.
  • DisableInbandLogo = 1: prevent WMC from importing the logos.
  • DisableInband = 1: disable everything.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:19 pm

Unfortunately, the registry settings aren’t enough to completely put a stop to this. If you watch live TV, Media Center will automatically add other channels on the same mux. This discovery method is a standard function of many DVB-T receivers. This issue only occurs with live TV, it doesn’t exhibit if you only watch recorded TV.

EPG123 can help with this though. If you configure EPG123 with just the channels you want and then enable the automatch feature it will cleanup these unwanted additions during the next scheduled run.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:29 am

IT Troll wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:19 pm Unfortunately, the registry settings aren’t enough to completely put a stop to this. If you watch live TV, Media Center will automatically add other channels on the same mux. This discovery method is a standard function of many DVB-T receivers. This issue only occurs with live TV, it doesn’t exhibit if you only watch recorded TV.
If for some reason, the global DisableInband registry switch doesn't work, you can still rename mcGlidHost.exe to mcGlidHost.exe.off to prevent these changes (it was the approach used by the GuideScanOff tool). Before moving to an IP/HDHRProxyIPTV-based model earlier this year, I used to do that on all my WMC machines and it worked absolutely fine: no added channel, no channel suddenly updated to use another mux/frequency because mcGlidHost thought the reception was better (and generally, it wasn't) and no bad-looking EPG :mrgreen:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:27 pm

Kevin Chalet wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:29 am If for some reason, the global DisableInband registry switch doesn't work, you can still rename mcGlidHost.exe to mcGlidHost.exe.off to prevent these changes
Interesting. I rarely watch live TV and so it is only a minor annoyance, which can be managed with EPG123.
Unfortunately, in the UK the channels do tend move around and so the ability to respond to change announcements is still required.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1