Getting RC6 remote to work on Win 11 WMC with Dell RC260 remote

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
n4mwd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Getting RC6 remote to work on Win 11 WMC with Dell RC260 remote

Post by n4mwd » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:44 pm

I was using an RC6 IR WMC remote with an RC6 IR USB receiver on my old Win7 WMC system. The RC6 remote died and I bought a learning remote that I was able to train before the RC6 remote completely died. Then the Win7 machine died and I switched to a Win11 mini system. The learning remote also had an RF adapter so I plugged that into the win11 mini and it worked fairly well for a while.

Now the learning remote is failing and I bought a DELL WMC RC260 IR remote. My intent was to use the original RC6 USB IR receiver with the new remote, but its not working. The RC6 receiver has a light that shows when an IR signal is hitting it. Its not lighting up.

I confirmed the RC260 is sending an IR signal with my cell phone, and the Win11 device manager is showing several new HID devices with no errors. But its not working.

Anybody have a clue what is going on and how to fix it?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:40 pm

Is the Dell RC260 a Microsoft/Philips RC-6 IR protocol remote? If it is, it will carry an RC6 logo on the rear or in the battery compartment. If it doesn't have the logo it may be using the Microsoft/SMK Quatro Pulse IR protocol. This different protocol is not compatible with the RC6 receiver.

I have quite a collection of RC6 remotes, the Sony ones are my favourite. I'm not sure how available these are now though.

MCE RC6 IR Remotes.JPG
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:14 pm

I don't see anything other than the RC260 on the new one. I was able to play with the old RC6 and get it to generate a few pulses to the receiver. I can confirm that the old USB RC6 receiver works fine on win11. The old remote itself has issues with the battery compartment and the keyboard. Mine is not shaped like any of yours. It is curvy with the center a smaller diameter. The new Dell remote is definitely a WMC remote because it has the big green button.

The DELL might make a good one if I got a good receiver for it, but I'm not happy with the fact that it uses expensive CR2032 batteries instead of AA or AAA batteries. So it might be better just to buy the right one.

I guess I need to buy a new remote that specifically supports RC-6 or a set with both receiver and remote. The problem is that they are getting hard to find.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:27 pm

n4mwd wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:14 pmI guess I need to buy a new remote...
I use one of my old Android phones with this...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14142&p=150042#p150042

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:01 pm

The other option is a Logitech Harmony which will control Media Center and your other equipment.
The trouble is Logitech discontinued the Harmony and so these may also be tricky to find now.

I use a Harmony for convenience, but it is not a snappy and responsive and an original RC6 remote.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:47 am

Another option is to make a homemade one out of an arduino or something similar to go along with the RC-6
USB receiver. If I can't find a good RC-6somewhere, then that is an option.

If I could get the proper receiver for the Dell, it is still pretty small which makes me think that it would be cumbersome to use.

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:05 am

n4mwd wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:14 pm I guess I need to buy a new remote that specifically supports RC-6 or a set with both receiver and remote. The problem is that they are getting hard to find.
FWIW, they're still relatively easy to find on eBay, specially the HP ones you can see on IT Troll's photo (by far my favorite WMC remotes, BTW :mrgreen:).
You can also find perfect clones on Aliexpress that are indistinguishable from the originals :silent:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:38 am

If you do go remote shopping be very careful with model numbers. The big name manufacturers produced both RC6 and non-RC6 variants of their remote controls. Sometimes they look identical but just have a slightly different model number.