All has been working great for years until I went to check signal strength

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
nanat

HTPC Specs: Show details

All has been working great for years until I went to check signal strength

Post by nanat » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:00 pm

I'm quite sure I touched something I shouldn't have and things have worked so well for so long I have no recollection of how I got it that way, let alone how to get back to where I was a few hours ago!
Have been using epg123 w/schedules direct for years on Win7. Have two Hauppage dual tuner cards (so tuner 1 & 2 are on one card, 3 & 4 on the other).
We have been having pixelation issues on a couple of channels and since I knew one of the tuner cards always had a weaker signal for these channels than the other and thus priorities had been set for the channels so I wanted to confirm things were as they should. I should have left well enough alone but this am I went into WMC to check signal strength. I obviously did something I shouldn't have. I now am missing channels, have no guide, seem to have lost all scheduled recordings, and am so baffled not sure where to start. Found my old notes (actually an old post) that I had missing channels when first starting with epg123 and I had manually added them in.
I opened epg123client and can see all the channels "selected" but that's not what I see in the WMC guide. What am I missing?
1. is there a way to get my previous settings back without starting over?
2. if files are saved/stored then I could possibly restore WMC if I knew where to find them and what all to restore.
3. I do how seem to have recent files/folders in the programdata/microsoft/ehome folder (i.e., dated today; e.g., mcepg2-0 and its subfolders/contents). Are these the problem?
Any/all help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Tara

Space

Post by Space » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:03 pm

What do you mean by "seem to have lost all scheduled recordings"? Do you not see any programs scheduled to record in "view scheduled"?

Are you sure you haven't switched to a "Favorite lineup" (or one of the dynamic ones) so that only a subset of channels are displayed in the guide? You can tell if this is the case if while on the channel guide, the upper right of the screen indicates the name of a favorite instead of saying "guide".

I believe epg123client just loads all its channel information from WMC, so what you see in the client should be what is in WMC. I wouldn't do anything drastic until you rule out the simple, such as having switched to a "Favorite lineup".

nanat

Post by nanat » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:32 am

yup I haven't switched to "Favorite" but I agree about not doing anything drastic until I can rule out the simple! Had to walk away for a couple of hours (or risk doing more damage). Hoped that perhaps something had updated while gone but no.
Going to "Scheduled Recordings" it says "No recordings have been scheduled". There were quite a number scheduled earlier today.
Guide shows "no data available" (and isn't the guide I had previously showing channels checked in epg123client along with data).
I just used the epg icon in the notification tray to "update guide now". It did not work. "EPG123 v1.7.08 There is a warning during last update" is the message.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:02 am

Open the client and click the Match by: [# Number] button.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

nanat

Post by nanat » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:16 am

Okay I am back up and running. Thanks Space for your comments! Gary - thanks, just got your note but since I was back up and running (and had added all the missing channels) didn't try your suggestion.
Not sure what happened or exactly how but here's what I did...
Closed WMC. Opened EPG123 configuration (right clicked on the notification icon), made no changes to what was there as it seemed to be as I remembered, and selected "Save&Execute" then Exit. Updated guide manually using icon in notification tray. Opened WMC and guide was better and it had data! None of our local channels <13 (i.e. VHF) were listed but... Checked Scheduled recordings and looked like all were listed but the ones that were to be recorded on those missing VHF channels had no channel assigned. Went back to review the epg123 installation instructions and found (was reminded) that "This is due to Windows Media Center not scanning the VHF frequencies during setup which are the physical channels 2 - 13. For those missing channels, it will be necessary to manually add them in WMC." So quickly added a couple and then checked the scheduled recordings list and it was now better. Yahoo! Now to finish adding the VHF channels and then update the guide. Still don't know what exactly I did to mess it up but its better now!