new MC Themer replaces MCS???

brantmacga

HTPC Specs: Show details

new MC Themer replaces MCS???

Post by brantmacga » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Read at TDL.com . . .
The excellent Media Center Themer has been updated to version 1.40, the new version adds things like string replacements, changing of menus and adding your own custom menu items. So with the app you can completely change the look of Windows Media Center including text and colours and menu items. The clever thing about this app is that it doesn’t permanently change anything in Media Center and best of all it’s free!

went to the media center themer site; looks like this is the replacement tool for media center studio, and found this comment interesting . . .
•Your installation of Media Center is not altered in any way: your changes will resist updates made to Media Center.
•Media Center Extenders are supported and can be properly themed as well (Xbox, etc…).

so has anyone tried it yet?

duncane

Post by duncane » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Yip. Takes a bit of work but I'm happy with it. I mentioned it in this post,

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =20#p12291

It's true it doesn't permanently change any DLLs etc as it's all in done memory. You can see this quite quickly when you make a mistake in the XML file that it uses and MC goes back to original theme when you start it.

There are a couple of regedit switches that will export the resources from MC for you (PNGs, WAVs etc) and you can copy these to edit if you wish and tell the XML to use them. However ONE change to a colour value in the supplied XML changes the colour of nearly all of it in one go!

Give it a go, the install will add a default theme for you that works straight away and you can edit this to test. The documentation needs a good read but you soon get the hang of it.

I actually asked the DEV a question about a change and he emailed the next day to say he had made a change and sent a special version just to me!!! This will of course be added to next version.

Cheers
Ewan

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Is it possible to change which item is selected in the strips? Haven't been able to solve that problem. Would also like to create a strip with the items I use most often. There's an example for adding a custom strip with external programs, but I would like a strip with my favorite addins.

duncane

Post by duncane » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:27 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:Is it possible to change which item is selected in the strips?
I asked the DEV this, he is looking at it for next version if possible.
SilverRubicon wrote:Would also like to create a strip with the items I use most often. There's an example for adding a custom strip with external programs, but I would like a strip with my favorite addins.
I also asked a similar question and again he'd said he'd look at it.

If you contact him via the form on his site he responds very quickly.
Cheers
Ewan

freetvee.com

Post by freetvee.com » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:12 pm

I asked him for something similar, so hopefully that helps get the ball rolling. MCT definately shows some promise, and the developer is very responsive as mentioned! It is a bit techy though...

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:14 pm

SilverRubicon wrote:Is it possible to change which item is selected in the strips? Haven't been able to solve that problem. Would also like to create a strip with the items I use most often. There's an example for adding a custom strip with external programs, but I would like a strip with my favorite addins.
I would also like to move plug-ins to a custom strip. Similar to the 'Internet TV' menu strip I created with Media Center Studio.

I couldn't find a way to move the iPlayer plug-in to a Media Center Themer custom menu although I could create the Hulu in the custom menu because that's just a link to the batch file which launches the Hulu Desktop.
Attachments
WMC Capture.PNG