Assassin's Guides?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
mattiedread

HTPC Specs: Show details

Assassin's Guides?

Post by mattiedread » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm in the early stages of a build, probably an i5. I'm curious as to how many people have used Assassin's guides and how helpful they are? I've read most of the free build guide and from what I've seen I would think the paid guides are more informative/greater detail. I know I'm going to need some insight from hard ware build to software config... post build hardware configs (BIOS, Networking etc.)

I'd like to build a comprehensive media server for my house, ideally Cable TV/HD DVR for multiple TV's (4-10 tuners in the long run, via extenders, hence the i5), music, perhaps personal photo's and Video (although that can be done a different machine, and, might be).

Are the paid guides pretty comprehensive?

If you've used them any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

If you did not use them a brief explanation of why not would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
mattiedread

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Well, there are lots of satisfied customers on AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1392048
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

assassin

Post by assassin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 am

mattiedread wrote:I'm in the early stages of a build, probably an i5. I'm curious as to how many people have used Assassin's guides and how helpful they are? I've read most of the free build guide and from what I've seen I would think the paid guides are more informative/greater detail. I know I'm going to need some insight from hard ware build to software config... post build hardware configs (BIOS, Networking etc.)

I'd like to build a comprehensive media server for my house, ideally Cable TV/HD DVR for multiple TV's (4-10 tuners in the long run, via extenders, hence the i5), music, perhaps personal photo's and Video (although that can be done a different machine, and, might be).

Are the paid guides pretty comprehensive?

If you've used them any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

If you did not use them a brief explanation of why not would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
mattiedread
Proposal for you.

How about I let you try them out for free. In return you can post your opinion on them here at The Green Button.

You'll see why many people think its the best money you will spend on your HTPC.

I will send you a PM with my contact information.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Thank you very much for the offer....

I purchased a platinum membership two days ago for $25; I've only had the time to read paid guides 1 and 2. I paid the extra $5 because I had already pilfered a lot of information from your AVS threads; and am greatly appreciative.

Are they worth the $20 or $25? Absolutely, if you value your time at $5/hour (perhaps $1... maybe even .50) the BIOS walk through in guide 1 would have saved me several hours on my last 'build' as I attempted many combinations before getting it 'almost right'. (Dell XPS 420 back in the day where a DCT meant an OEM had to build).

I also tweaked a sound setting on that machine from your guide and it fixed a volume 'annoyance' I was having on a handful of channels. That problem has been since day 1, and fixing it was worth at least a buck :)

I hope to delve deeper and fix a few other problems/annoyances... the network problem (Network issue - DMA extender on a CAT6 wired network. MCE network tuner always shows maximum bandwidth available, however I frequently get the dreaded 'network error'). I know I have sufficient bandwidth.

Hopefully I can learn a few more tricks from the guides which will benefit my current setup and get me in the frame of mind for a new build. Although my current HTPC is 'good enough' it has a number of deficiencies, many probably related to configuration. I googled several of them the other day for the first time since 08 and found posts related to many of them, so, I'm not the only person with these problems. It was nice to find that other people have had the same problems, just not posted until 2009 or 2010, after I had given up because the machine was 'good enough'.

I've always wanted a machine to do what I had originally planned which your guides show how to configure. The 420's form factor doesn't work in the main TV room so the end game will be a new build, just not sure when or what. But, looking back on the time I spent attempting to configure the 420, being about 40% successful, I certainly wish I had your guides in 2008. If/when I build I am confident your guides will save me a lot of headaches and time.

I still have a lot of pre-build questions to answer and continue to research. When I finally get the machine up and running I will post a more informed critique of the guides. I'm not sure when I'm pulling that trigger.

I do cast a vote for your next build to be a i5/Z68 with a QAM multi-tuner!

Thanks again for the generous offer.
mattiedread

assassin

Post by assassin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:29 am

I have added a bunch of new guides lately.

I also completely redid my table of contents to hopefully make it easier to see what's included. All of the table of contents are now hyperlinked as well to their respective guide.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Well, I've almost finished building my HTPC, still waiting on the optical drive. But, I'm through guides 1-5 and I have to say the HTPC is better than I had hoped... and I still have other functionality (explained in the guides) I plan on adding... perhaps a lot more.

I don't want to post a long critique of The Guides but suffice it to say:

1. Of the $900 I spent on my parts the $25 on The Guides was without a close second the best and most important.

2. I can't think of anything I've recently purchased for under $50 of such value.

3. I completely understand why many subscribers make an extra donation. I'm too cheap, but I am working on a song, 'The Assassin Guides'.

What I'm building:
i5 2500t (over kill, i3 is sufficient, someone posted a test with 3 extenders + the HTPC running and 1/3 of system resources were consumed, temps with stock cooling were fine).
ASRock Z68 Pro3 M
2x4 GB @1600 (probably overkill, but $35 at Micro Center, Kingston)
PC Power and Cooling 400W Silencer (worthy of the name - made by Seasonic)
Crucial 64GB + a recycled 500GB drive (will add a larger when hdd prices retreat)
Ceton IV (not yet installed, still playing around with the software installs.. The Guides actually make it fun because you learn and it works the first time.
Silverstone GD 04 case
Logitech USB keyboard and mouse
Asus DVD R/W (not yet arrived) In hindsight I'll probably regret not putting the Lite Scribe BD burner in, on sale now.
Standard Cheap Windows IR Remote ($14 - not yet arrived)

assassin

Post by assassin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:03 am

mattiedread wrote:Well, I've almost finished building my HTPC, still waiting on the optical drive. But, I'm through guides 1-5 and I have to say the HTPC is better than I had hoped... and I still have other functionality (explained in the guides) I plan on adding... perhaps a lot more.

I don't want to post a long critique of The Guides but suffice it to say:

1. Of the $900 I spent on my parts the $25 on The Guides was without a close second the best and most important.

2. I can't think of anything I've recently purchased for under $50 of such value.

3. I completely understand why many subscribers make an extra donation. I'm too cheap, but I am working on a song, 'The Assassin Guides'.
Thanks for the feedback. I often tell people that the $25 they will spend on the guides is by far the most important money spent on the entire project. I think your endorsement is further testament to this fact.

I am up to 90 guides and over 50,000 words now. To put that in perspective a novel is 40,000 words.

I hope others' read this and use what I have created for the HTPC community. Enjoy the guides.

assassin

Post by assassin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Just wanted to announce that I am now up to 123 guides.

Have some pretty great stuff for HTPC.

epete

Post by epete » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:07 am

I subscribe to Assassin's Guide. It is a very good resource and would highly recommend. I also subscribe to renethx's guide. I am happy to support both as we need experts like these guys out there to continue doing this. It helped me build two systems so far.

hakamarob

Post by hakamarob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:35 am

So after I pay, what's the next step?

epete

Post by epete » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:24 am

I believe you are emailed a URL where you register your login credentials that will allow you to access the paid content. Than simply read and enjoy.

hakamarob

Post by hakamarob » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:08 pm

weird, I haven't seen anything. I'll shoot him an email.

assassin

Post by assassin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:27 pm

hakamarob wrote:weird, I haven't seen anything. I'll shoot him an email.
Should be fixed now. I sent you a PM.

hakamarob

Post by hakamarob » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:11 am

assassin wrote:Should be fixed now. I sent you a PM.

Got it. Thanks very much

assassin

Post by assassin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:08 am

You're welcome!

assassin

Post by assassin » Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 am

I have started a second set of guides.

www.assassinserver.com

This is how I use servers in the HTPC environment. Enjoy.

hakamarob

Post by hakamarob » Thu May 24, 2012 7:13 am

BTW if anyone is still wondering if they are worth it, the answer is yes. Even thought I have already built and setup my HTPC, the section on the Harmony alone was worth the cost. Great resource.

sflier

Post by sflier » Fri May 25, 2012 12:45 pm

I second that. As an HTPC newb, and wanting to setup a Ceton PCIe based DVR, I scoured the web for information. Then I stumbled on the assassin guide, read the free resources and decided to pay for the rest. I couldn't be happier. Highly recommend it as a one stop resource for setting up a stable and usable HTPC. Well worth it.

assassin

Post by assassin » Sun May 27, 2012 2:23 am

hakamarob wrote:BTW if anyone is still wondering if they are worth it, the answer is yes. Even thought I have already built and setup my HTPC, the section on the Harmony alone was worth the cost. Great resource.
sflier wrote:I second that. As an HTPC newb, and wanting to setup a Ceton PCIe based DVR, I scoured the web for information. Then I stumbled on the assassin guide, read the free resources and decided to pay for the rest. I couldn't be happier. Highly recommend it as a one stop resource for setting up a stable and usable HTPC. Well worth it.
Thanks guys. Glad you appreciate what I bring to HTPC.

assassin

Post by assassin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:06 am

My server guides now include the following...

Hardware Guide
BIOS
WHS2011
FlexRaid
UnRaid
SnapRaid

Enjoy.