The case of all cases

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
tommo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by tommo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:07 pm

jerryt

Post by jerryt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:48 pm

My best case for a build to date has been the CFI-a7879
http://www.e-itx.com/cfi-a7879.html

I modified the front for a slot loading Blu-ray drive and a 2.5 front loading hard drive tray. Also added a 120mm radiator to the back with one internal 120mm fan and one external 120mm fan. Four internal hot swap drives and a SSD 2.5 OS drive with a water cooled CPU. The four drives stay cool during heavy writing. Currently the box is a SageTV server.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:32 pm

UCBearcat wrote:Can anyone here comment on Lian Li cases? I've heard a lot of buzz about them, but I'm curious to know if anyone has any dealings with them.
I found the PC-C33B on newegg, and it looks pretty slick with a mid-mount fan behind the HDD caddy... which would also blow directly on the video card and the infiniTV4.
bump...

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:22 pm

UCBearcat wrote: bump...
I have the Lian Li PC-C33B Case. The case itself is super light, however it feels sturdy.

From what i can remember from the build, the case was a breeze to work with. There was plenty of room for my fat hands to get in there and route cables. Granted, I was using a Asus F1A75-M Pro motherboard so it wasn't like it was a full ATX. I don't remember having any blood spilled. :)

I was just in there this week to remove a faulty drive and replace it with a 2TB drive (so now I have 5TB of space). It was easy to access the drive cage to swap the drive. The only slight issue I have was that the screw holes on the bottom of the drive cage didn't match up with my SSD (although I wonder if it is even designed for a 2.5" drive - could be user error).

The spot for the 5th internal drive is actually located in between the 2 5.25" slots.

The fans are tough to hear, even when you use a stock AMD fan.

My choices on a case were limited, since I REQUIRED a case that was less that 16.9" wide. Anything that was 16.9" (425mm) would rub against my AVR.

The case doesn't look like a computer case.
Last edited by carljanderson on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

duncane

Post by duncane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Not a HTPC case but I've got a Lian Li PC-B10 http://www.lian-li.com.tw/v2/en/product ... dex=62&g=f

They are very well built and this one is very quiet even with 2 fans on front and 1 on rear. Noise reducing foam and front door help this. I am actually using this for my HTPC and a very low murmur can just be heard when sound is off on telly.

Looks great and sounds great!

Cheers

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:54 pm

I have a V2120-B that is my choice for most awesome case of all time. http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pr ... ex=138&g=f

Biggest drawback is price, but at my age having this much room to work with and effective dust filtration and noise suppression are luxuries I can afford. Fit and finish are unmatched by anyone in the industry.

I like the tool-less mounting schemes for peripherals and that all drives and fans have isolated mounts. Comes with five fans already mounted and spaces for four more. Also comes with a fan controller. But...more than anything else...Lian-Li does something I've never seen on any other case...figured out a way to locate the system reset switch in a convenient location and make it impossible to trigger accidentally.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks for the info! The price is what is what has been keeping me from pulling the trigger. I like the finish and features on the ones that I've looked at.
When I started my build, I started with a Full ATX, so I have to go with a large format case. Currently, i have my stuff mounted in an old Antec case. I just need something a little more "living room friendly."

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:05 am

I'm currently in the process of building a new HTPC around the DH61AG. Parts are on the way :) I'm obsessing over this case right now http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/ ... 5-OD-B.htm and thinking about getting one in the future when they come with longer heatpipes making it more compatible with the motherboard. The owner of that site said the current heatpipes don't mount all the way correctly for the DH61AG, but that it would be good enough to handle the 35W CPU that I picked out, but I think I'd rather wait for the longer heatpipes he said they'd have in 2-3 months.

what is sad is I bought one of these a little over a year ago ( http://www.shop.perfecthometheater.com/ ... D310-B.htm), and it will probably go into my parts closet. I need help :crazy: