Effect of changing mobo or Ceton on copy-protected recordings?

Joram

HTPC Specs: Show details

Effect of changing mobo or Ceton on copy-protected recordings?

Post by Joram » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:15 am

Weighing future options, I have two quick questions that are related but separate:
  • Will switching the Ceton InfiniTV4 (PCIe) in a WMC box for a different InfiniTV4 (PCIe) make it impossible to view copy-protected recordings (HBO, etc.) that were made using the previous InfiniTV4? Let's assume that everything else stays the same -- motherboard, hard drive, CableCARD, and so on.
    Will changing the motherboard (same model) in a WMC box make it impossible to view copy-protected recordings that were made using the previous mobo on that system? Let's assume that everything else stays the same -- CPU, Windows installation, Ceton, and so on..
Thanks very much in advance. Your answers will help to uide my decision.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:16 am

I don't think that replacing the Ceton will have any effect on being able to play previously recorded copy-once recordings.

I have seen people post here that they replaced their motherboards with the same exact model motherboard and it also did not affect the ability to play back copy-once recordings, but I think this one is hit-or-miss.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone post that they replaced their motherboard with another model motherboard and have had their previously recorded copy-once recordings play back successfully.

How PlayReady copy protection works is (by design) nebulous, so we mostly go by prior experience of other users.

Joram

Post by Joram » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:42 am

Thanks, this helps a lot.

Our main WMC PC has been going strong for almost nine years now and I figure the Ceton is bound to conk out sooner or later. So I stocked up with some used models from eBay. Good to know we can probably switch it out when the time comes, without risking the copy-once recordings.

And then we have a secondary WMC PC where it looks like the motherboard is shot (it won't POST), so I'm thinking if I can find an identical replacement mobo, we might have a chance to save the protected recordings. It could still turn out to be the PSU but I have to be prepared for the worst.