Harmony remote refresh 'in the coming months'

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Harmony remote refresh 'in the coming months'

Post by newfiend » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:21 am

Looks like we are in for some new Harmony Remotes in a few months... more info here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/26/logi ... armony-re/

newfiend~

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:49 am

newfiend wrote:Looks like we are in for some new Harmony Remotes in a few months... more info here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/26/logi ... armony-re/

newfiend~
I hope they come out with a lower end model better than the 300. The 300 in my bedroom was too much of a PITA to work how I wanted with my x280n. I use the HP remote, and have to flip between devices. I need some a little easier so the wife can pick it up.

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:01 am

My main wish of a harmony remote would be one that communicates via RF with the PC... just like their other keyboards and mice. Right now, RF can be used to communicate with an IR remote, but everything is still IR based.

I don't have a harmony remote myself, but maybe someone can answer this: it sounds like certain "actions" of the remote turn on multiple devices at once... I wonder- is the harmony smart enough to know which device is already on and which is not? If you accidentally already had the tv on, will pressing the "on" on the remote turn off the tv?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 am

Some Harmony units can keep track of things, but they will lose track if you do something outside the remote.

What Logitech needs to fix first is their idiotic programming system. Really, Logitech--only one remote per email address?

gcw07

Post by gcw07 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:46 am

makryger wrote:I don't have a harmony remote myself, but maybe someone can answer this: it sounds like certain "actions" of the remote turn on multiple devices at once... I wonder- is the harmony smart enough to know which device is already on and which is not? If you accidentally already had the tv on, will pressing the "on" on the remote turn off the tv?
You can setup some of them to send discrete signals. So you can have it send the "on" signal instead of the "on/off toggle" signal. That usually fixes any outside issues with other remotes or manually turning on the tv or device.

I'm glad they are finally updating them. The Harmony One has been missing buttons that are on the Harmony 900. They at least need to make them have the same buttons.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:35 am

Hopefully they will release something awesome. I am still rocking my Harmony for Xbox 360 and I love it.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:14 pm

I hope they fix the sucky button action on the Harmony One. There are times I press the same button repeatedly to get no response only to hold the button down and pass up my destination. tick't-tick't-tick't...I hope they make the buttons quiter as well, the more I use it the more I'm beginning to dislike it.

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:41 am

Motz wrote:Hopefully they will release something awesome. I am still rocking my Harmony for Xbox 360 and I love it.
+1 for loving my xbox360 harmony. I hope they have some software that will add some functionality for keyboard commands, like a minor version of eventghost.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:53 am

gcw07 wrote:
makryger wrote:I'm glad they are finally updating them. The Harmony One has been missing buttons that are on the Harmony 900. They at least need to make them have the same buttons.
The Harmony 900 is nominally more advanced than the Harmony One (RF, colour buttons, more expensive), but as I understand it the 900 is inferior to the One in the area of macros. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the 900 supports macros ("sequences") only on the activity buttons, whereas the One supports macros on any button? I realise that people's needs vary, but I was wondering whether you found the lack of general-purpose macros inconvenient? Thanks.

I have played with the demo Harmony remotes in PC World and the now defunct Best Buy, and one of the things that disappoints me about the 600/650/700/One/900 is the direction buttons being integrated with the OK button. Interestingly, the 300 (the cheapest Harmony remote) has the direction buttons separated from the OK button, which (in my view) gives clean and precise operation. I hope that Logitech introduce that style on any new remotes that they introduce!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:18 pm

maybe they'll work a deal with gyration and get a gyroscope in there for mouse functions...not that I'm holding my breath.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:34 pm

EmirOfGroofunkistan wrote:maybe they'll work a deal with gyration and get a gyroscope in there for mouse functions...not that I'm holding my breath.
As much as I would love this.. I doubt it also. I really do like th e Gyroscope Mouse function of my Dell Branded Gyration remote. It works really good for the mouse function. If that was built into my Harmony One I would ditch the Gyration remote entirely.
I think I have tried just about every MC remote I could get my hands on. So far the best ones I have found have been the Harmony One, Lenovo N5902 and the Gyration MC remotes..( i hear the Peanut MS remote works great also ..Haven't tried that one yet..)
Everones needs are differnt.. It depends a lot on your equipment and it's/your specific needs. There are some things on the Harmony that could use improvement. Including the software to set up the remote. It needs to be a little more straight forward. But It's still one of the best options when you have multipe pieces of equipment you need to control. I am curious on what changes they are going to implement. Hopefully they are good ones.
newfiend~