How to get Dolby Digital Plus audio output?

Paul Anderegg

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to get Dolby Digital Plus audio output?

Post by Paul Anderegg » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:28 am

My cable company changed it's audio format from AC3 (A52), to EAC3 (A52B) Dolby Digital Plus. I still get "DD" and not "DD+" displayed on my AVR. I have messed with settings on my TV (ARC), and I can get the TV to display DD or DD+ for everything, but it seems those are just conversions of DD to DD+, as AC3 is also showing up then as DD+. I am not completely clear on if WMC actually can output Dolby Digital Plus, or if the DD+ branding was just a lie. I am using Win 7 PC, GT1030 HDMI 2.0b graphics card, HDMI to Sony X950H TV, and out of that ARC to Sony DH590 Dolby Vision receiver. Windows sound is set to 16 bit 48Hz stereo for bitstream passthrough, and disable all enhancements has been left unchecked. Dolby True HD and DTS HD passthrough another HDMI output to the AVR no problem using these settings.

Paul
Last edited by Paul Anderegg on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Anderegg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Paul Anderegg » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:34 am

I saw this in Wikipedia, maybe the DD+ stream containing only DD will decode and display as DD and not DD+? Cox is all about reducing bandwidth, I can't see them changing 1080 to 720 and upgrading the audio, but if they can compress AC3 in a DD+ stream, they would do that.

Structure (from Wikipedia)
A Dolby Digital Plus service consists of one or more substreams. There are three types of substreams:
3: Legacy substreams, which contain a single 5.1 program, and which correspond directly to Dolby Digital content. At most a single legacy substream may be present in a DD+ stream.