Reliable HTPC down

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
sgbroimp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Reliable HTPC down

Post by sgbroimp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Got something weird here. Running WMC Win 7 HP with the OS on a 60 gb SSD, running close to storage capacity. Storage is 2 Seagate HDD’s, 2 TB each in Raid 1 configuration, Motherboard is Asrock H67M. Unit running fine until I did a shutdown, then re-started. Unit failed to boot and showed one of the HDD’s as having only 3.8 gb of capacity. The SSD and other HDD showing their correct values. Ran the onboard repair protocol but no joy. The tech seems surprised about the drive showing like that, says the OS has gotten corrupted. He is fearful of removing an HDD for fear of losing the files. Thoughts?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:35 pm

Topic moved. We need more information. What does "failed to boot" mean? What error was displayed on the screen?

Start by disconnecting the power and data cable of both 2TB drives to isolate the issue. What happens when you turn on the computer with only the SSD connected?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:58 pm

Scallica wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:35 pm Topic moved. We need more information. What does "failed to boot" mean? What error was displayed on the screen?

Start by disconnecting the power and data cable of both 2TB drives to isolate the issue. What happens when you turn on the computer with only the SSD connected?
Thank you! Two screens came up: Screen 1.) Your computer was unable to start. Startup repair initiated., then after a while Screen 2.) Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically. Is there not a risk by disconnecting the two HDD's that date will be lost? By the way noteworthy is that in addition to showing that one drive as having only 3.8 gb, it also shows the model number incorrectly, using an MB number instead of an ST number which it should be. Serial looks to be right, however.

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:36 pm

Got the SSD (replaced the 60 with a 256 to gain more headroom, reinstalled OS from an Acronis Image we took a while back) to boot ok, now to see if the HDD's can both restore.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:24 pm

sgbroimp wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:58 pm Is there not a risk by disconnecting the two HDD's that date will be lost?
There is no risk of losing data by disconnecting the hard drive, as long as the computer is powered off.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:27 pm

sgbroimp wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:58 pm By the way noteworthy is that in addition to showing that one drive as having only 3.8 gb, it also shows the model number incorrectly, using an MB number instead of an ST number which it should be.
The drive has likely failed or is failing; it happens. Replace the drive.

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:44 pm

That does seem likely and I have a couple of spares for the "occasion". I think it might be smart to try and find a used or refurbed H67M Motherboard in case I lose mine. Not sure how to find a reliable source but worth the effort I think as I don't like to have this system down for long.

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:24 pm

Scallica wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:27 pm
sgbroimp wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:58 pm By the way noteworthy is that in addition to showing that one drive as having only 3.8 gb, it also shows the model number incorrectly, using an MB number instead of an ST number which it should be.
The drive has likely failed or is failing; it happens. Replace the drive.
I think that one of the HDD's will prove bad so yes, will replace. That leaves all the files on the old drive, does not move them to the other drive for RAID, right? What is best procedure? Take an external drive, copy all the files from the old drive, then back onto the RAID1 setup, checking "yes" when it asks if I want to replace the files with the "new" ones? Will I lose copyrighted files doing that is another question I have, but maybe with new SSD and re-install of Win7 those files are already gone? (Not many I think, but some movies)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:09 pm

sgbroimp wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:24 pm I think that one of the HDD's will prove bad so yes, will replace. That leaves all the files on the old drive, does not move them to the other drive for RAID, right? What is best procedure? Take an external drive, copy all the files from the old drive, then back onto the RAID1 setup, checking "yes" when it asks if I want to replace the files with the "new" ones? Will I lose copyrighted files doing that is another question I have, but maybe with new SSD and re-install of Win7 those files are already gone? (Not many I think, but some movies)
Replace the failed drive with a new or used drive of the same size. The RAID controller will rebuild the RAID1 array by copying all of the data from the good drive to the new drive; it will not prompt you; it will rebuild automatically. If you restored Windows 7 from an image, your DRM keys are included in the image, so your recordings should play without issue.

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks very much. Yes, restore of the OS was done from an image, which I thankfully made last year. So I get all the Ceton and other software I guess, right? By the way you were absolutely right, one drive was bad, happily I have new spares, but this is the second Seagate ST2000NM0033 I have lost in a year and I thought these were decent drives. Apparently the one drive failed a while back, then this recent event was an OS corruption. Now I have to wait for at least 24 hours for the ghosting over to the new drive to take place as very slow copying process.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:54 pm

sgbroimp wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:05 pm this is the second Seagate ST2000NM0033 I have lost in a year and I thought these were decent drives.
Seagate is a good company, but a few years ago, there were allegations of "bad batches" of drives pushed to market. A class action lawsuit was filed.

https://petapixel.com/2016/02/02/photog ... rd-drives/

However, the new Seagate Ironwolf hard drives are highly regarded and provide additional diagnostic info beyond the standard S.M.A.R.T. data.

https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-d ... lf/health/

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 pm

Wow, did not know that. Much appreciate your tip. Will look into that. Many thanks! Guess it's a good thing I have a RAID setup