williaml99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recording goes black protected content

Post by williaml99 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:24 am

On Mediacom
Intel Nuc
Hd Homerun prime two cable cards
Windows 7

Recording channel 832 in the last case a 2019 Cardinals game at about 5th inning nothing but blank black recording. Can FF to end but all black. Searched the Web no luck. Looked in event viewer and only thing I saw was some audio end point error, no idea if related. Updated all Intel drivers. I had this years ago but don't remember what fixed it.

Noticed this about a half a dozen times of late.

If you have any ideas please share.

Thanks
Bill

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:24 am

Sounds like it may be the 47 hour bug, one of the strangest WMC/HDHomerun Prime bugs in existence.

In a nutshell, unless you reboot (or put to sleep) your PC or reboot the Prime at least once every 47 hours, when that 47 hour mark hits, if you happen to be recording a DRM (CopyOnce) recording, it will just go black.

The above linked thread includes a tool to alleviate this problem by automatically rebooting the Prime or the PC at least once per day (be sure to go to the end of the thread to get the most up-to-date version).

Personally, my HTPC goes to sleep whenever it's not in use, so I don't normally run in to this problem and don't use the above tool, however I did run in to this problem when I was recording the Olympics and the PC was awake 24/7.

williaml99

Post by williaml99 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:24 am

I had been busy and had not noticed your thoughtful reply. Thank you very much. I had no clue. Baseball season is starting and now I have something to try.

best wishes
Bill

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:26 pm

I set all my Windows HTPCs to reboot at around 3-4am EVERY day.
This helps with a lot of little bugs and nits, including probably this one mentioned.