Vista Media Center - Burning Issues

Talk about setting up your home network.
abidan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Vista Media Center - Burning Issues

Post by abidan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 pm

I have 2 laptops running vista ultimate. One is connected to my tv and is used solely as a media centre for live tv, video, pictures & music. I am trying to use my second laptop to control the media centre pc via remote desktop.
My question is: How do I enable the media centre ‘burn dvd’ program on my second laptop? I have enabled remote access to removable storage by changing the settings in gpedit.msc. and the burn dvd program is ticked in the program library options within media centre, but the option to burn dvd from within media centre is not visible.
Any advice would be appreciated

Geoff

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Are you certain the laptop has a DVD burner and not just a CD burner? Have used burned DVDs using other applications?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

abidan

Post by abidan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Yes, the drives of both laptops are dvd drives, Media centre and associated programs have always worked perfectly well as standalone laptops,
The problems occur when accessing media centre on the tv laptop via remote desktop. The 'burn' programme does not apprear in the program library, neither is it visible in the drop down list as an option when I right click on a recorded tv file.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:26 pm

While connected via Remote Desktop, right-click on Media Center and select "Run As Administrator". See if the burn option is there.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

abidan

Post by abidan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I shall try it tonight

abidan

abidan

Post by abidan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:33 am

Selecting 'run as administrator' and still no burn cd/dvd option is visible.
I downloaded & installed the free 'Logmein' application which did give me the burn cd/dvd option.
Can anyone explain why? and what modifications I might be able to do to enable this option in windows remote desktop?

Thanks
abidan

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:13 pm

I've always had problems with Vista (32) Media Center and remote desktop, some rather bizarre, such as the background/screen saver changing after I attempt. I've rdc'd from XP, 7 and Mac 0SX machines. I've never tried accessing dvd on the MC box remotely.