Stuck on Examining Signals

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
straphanger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Stuck on Examining Signals

Post by straphanger » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:30 pm

I'm setting up WMC on a new machine with a Happauge HVR-1800 I had in storage. I did a fresh install of v8.8.4 and then went through the EPG123 setup process with a clean start. However, every time I try setting up live TV, it keeps getting stuck on examining TV signals. The bar progresses about 60% and then just sits there. I've waited around 2 hours with no appreciable progress. I went through some other steps, such as the pulling the network plug trick but so far, it's still stuck.

Anyone know how else to get out of this or should I just let it sit and examine signals for as long as it needs to?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Just [Cancel] it and manually select the type of tuners you are using. That is all it is doing at that stage is trying to determine if you are OTA/QAM, STB, Analog/Digital Cable, ....
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

straphanger

Post by straphanger » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:55 pm

I tried that now after a fresh restart. Canceled at the examining signal stage and it's just stuck on a spinning circle instead. Any more thoughts? I tried leaving it examining signals for 8 hours but it hung there.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:24 am

Hmm... that's a new one then. Are you sure the HVR is installed and the service is running? WMC will try and talk with the tuner.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

straphanger

Post by straphanger » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:19 am

I did some troubleshooting by pulling a HVR1250 out of a working PC that's set up for Media Center. Popped that into the computer I was trying to set up and low and behold...it works. Was able to fully set up with the 1250. Put the 1800 back in and it says no tuner found. I think the 1800 I have is busted. Time to go hunt for a used one off eBay...

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:40 am

Which drivers did you install?

Windows sometimes installs basic drivers that don't support BDA and because that is what WMC requires it can't see the device.

Might be worth trying the official Hauppauge ones if you haven't already.

straphanger

Post by straphanger » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:32 pm

technodevotee wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:40 am Which drivers did you install?

Windows sometimes installs basic drivers that don't support BDA and because that is what WMC requires it can't see the device.

Might be worth trying the official Hauppauge ones if you haven't already.
I used the default Windows ones and the official ones off the Hauppauge website.

Even stranger is that when I brought in a known good HVR-1250 from an existing computer, it works perfectly fine on this one. Is this bad hardware? Is the tuner shot?