Windows Media Center Monitor Setup videos missing

jwk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Media Center Monitor Setup videos missing

Post by jwk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:43 pm

I decided to build a clean installation of Windows Media Center (on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1) because so much chaff had built up over the years I've had it installed (such as the PowerDVD plugin, Ceton Remote, and other things just Win 7 related that either no longer work or are near impossible to cleanly uninstall (Power DVD) and do it all on a SSD.

I have all the WMC Updates and related security updates available, so I thought it shouldn't be a problem, except for the program guide and I'm already using EPG123 for that... so, no problem. In going through the WMC setup for the monitor, when the short movies for making monitor (tv) size, borders, color saturation, brightness and contrast are to be done, the videos are all black, or missing, no errors to explain why, I don't remember what they all are, but one was people playing pool in a dark room... I always thought those were self-contained, and part of the WMC installation, not something that was downloaded...

Has anyone run into this before??

jwk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jwk » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm

I had an installed version of WMC on an old computer I don't use anymore and did some testing. The monitor setup movies are not part of the WMC installation, they are either served or downloaded from the MS servers when setup is running. Since support for Win 7 has ended, I suppose the the videos are no longer being served either. They might be stored in cache somewhere, but no big deal, probably didn't need them once ATSC commenced.

Moderator, please close this thread, no longer relevant.