Miserable mp4 streaming with dma2100

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
jamawass

HTPC Specs: Show details

Miserable mp4 streaming with dma2100

Post by jamawass » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:00 am

Is there anyway to improve streaming of movies that I've encoded into mp4 with handbrake? These movies play flawlessly when streamed to my touchpad. The dma2100 is hardwired however to Cat5e with a gigabit switch. I've adjusted my network configuratiion on the htpc as recommended by Microsoft/ linksys. Netflix via playon streams well so it seems to be limited to mp4. Thanks for any input.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:44 am

jamawass wrote:Is there anyway to improve streaming of movies that I've encoded into mp4 with handbrake? These movies play flawlessly when streamed to my touchpad. The dma2100 is hardwired however to Cat5e with a gigabit switch. I've adjusted my network configuratiion on the htpc as recommended by Microsoft/ linksys. Netflix via playon streams well so it seems to be limited to mp4. Thanks for any input.
I don't seem to have any issues playing .mp4 via my DMA-2100 In fact I have a bunch of shows in this format that my son watches via the 2100 in .mp4.. Have you tried updating DirectX 9.0c end user runtime? http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
see if it makes any difference...If not post back..
newfiend~

jamawass

Post by jamawass » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 pm

newfiend wrote:
jamawass wrote:Is there anyway to improve streaming of movies that I've encoded into mp4 with handbrake? These movies play flawlessly when streamed to my touchpad. The dma2100 is hardwired however to Cat5e with a gigabit switch. I've adjusted my network configuratiion on the htpc as recommended by Microsoft/ linksys. Netflix via playon streams well so it seems to be limited to mp4. Thanks for any input.
I don't seem to have any issues playing .mp4 via my DMA-2100 In fact I have a bunch of shows in this format that my son watches via the 2100 in .mp4.. Have you tried updating DirectX 9.0c end user runtime? http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
newfiend~
I have a radeon 5450 so I would think I have directx 11 installed but will check. I have most of these files in m2ts format and have been streaming them flawlessly over the last day. The only limitation is that I can only skip not fast forward or rewind.
Edit: What settings do you use to encode your mp4?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 pm

jamawass wrote:
newfiend wrote:
newfiend~
I have a radeon 5450 so I would think I have directx 11 installed but will check. I have most of these files in m2ts format and have been streaming them flawlessly over the last day. The only limitation is that I can only skip not fast forward or rewind.
Edit: What settings do you use to encode your mp4?
I know Windows 7 has DirectX 11 built in, however some multimedia applications still rely on some of 9.0c.. I would still run the Web Installer and update it. It has helped some others and won't harm your system.
I encode most of my "shows" for mobile so I can take them on my WP7.. I use Handbrake and the iphone/ipod touch profile. I can watch them in decent form on my DMA-2100 on a smaller 720p TV in a bedroom and even though its compressed WAY down it still looks pretty good from across the room IMO.
newfiend~

jamawass

Post by jamawass » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:47 am

I was using the "normal" profile in handbrake. I'll try the ipod/touch profile and it's also for a secondary TV so that may be adequate. I'll try that and the DirectX 9c runtime, thanks.

jamawass

Post by jamawass » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:44 pm

I tried the ipod setting in handbrake and it did work but I wasn't impressed with the quality plus I can't rewind or fast forward similar to m2ts. I switched to format factory and encoded to wmv 720p. This gave me great quality plus a file that I ( and more importantly my wife) can actually rewind and fast forward.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:07 pm

jamawass wrote:I tried the ipod setting in handbrake and it did work but I wasn't impressed with the quality plus I can't rewind or fast forward similar to m2ts. I switched to format factory and encoded to wmv 720p. This gave me great quality plus a file that I ( and more importantly my wife) can actually rewind and fast forward.
Yes the iphone setting really smashes down the picture quality, however it works perfect for a WP7 or ipod touch etc. The files i have in that format are cartoons for my kid. The picture quality wasn't bad but not great. I was actually suprised it looked as good as it did on a 720p TV. If you can encode to .WMV or .WTV you will get full FF and REW capability. Windows MC doesn't support FF and REW in .mp4..I am hoping this is a fix coming in Windows 8 but I am not holding my breath. Glad that you found a format that works for you.
Take Care,
newfiend~