How many PCs on one SD sub?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Joram

HTPC Specs: Show details

How many PCs on one SD sub?

Post by Joram » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 am

This past summer we set up a secondary 7MC system and, like many others, are now looking into switching the program guide to Schedules Direct by way of EPG123.

Since we already have a subscription to SD, I'm wondering if we need to buy a second SD subscription for the new machine (2 PCs, 2 subs), or if we can use the same subscription for it (2 PCs, 1 sub). I couldn't find anything on the SD website that addressed this question directly.

EDIT: Reading around TGB, and in case this affects your answer, I should specify that, although they're in the same house, for security reasons the two 7MC PCs are not visible to each other on the network.

Thanks.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:05 am

HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Space

Post by Space » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:13 am

Note that you can have several machines "per household" but they cannot both be accessing Schedules Direct at the same time. So you need to schedule different times for the updates for the two systems. Also, please see this thread regarding how to pick the time to schedule.

Joram

Post by Joram » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:22 am

Scallica wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:05 am viewtopic.php?f=99&t=11233&p=122022&hil ... ld#p122022

Search before posting ;)
Umm, I did search before posting. Obviously not with terms that called up your results, but I did search.

Joram

Post by Joram » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:24 am

Space wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:13 am Note that you can have several machines "per household" but they cannot both be accessing Schedules Direct at the same time. So you need to schedule different times for the updates for the two systems. Also, please see this thread regarding how to pick the time to schedule.
Thanks for the info! :thumbup: I'll make sure that the machines update at different times.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:21 am

Joram wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:24 am
Space wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:13 am Note that you can have several machines "per household" but they cannot both be accessing Schedules Direct at the same time. So you need to schedule different times for the updates for the two systems. Also, please see this thread regarding how to pick the time to schedule.
Thanks for the info! :thumbup: I'll make sure that the machines update at different times.
Wait -- shouldn't you just have 1 machine doing the update (server), and sharing with any other machine that needs it too (client)?

Unless your machines need different lineups, I suppose?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:50 am

That is the ideal method, but not required. Also, even if you have different lineups, you can still have 1 machine creating the file to be shared. The MXF file will have all your lineups, but each machine can only use the lineups they need.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Joram

Post by Joram » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 am

tonywagner wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:21 am
Joram wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:24 am
Wait -- shouldn't you just have 1 machine doing the update (server), and sharing with any other machine that needs it too (client)?

Unless your machines need different lineups, I suppose?
Thing is, we have the two WMC computers on different routers, so they can't talk to each other.

In any case, having each one fetch its own data sounds like less setup work for me. :)

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:06 am

Joram wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 am Thing is, we have the two WMC computers on different routers, so they can't talk to each other.

In any case, having each one fetch its own data sounds like less setup work for me. :)
I'm thinking, less traffic for Schedules Direct would be a good thing too! If both machines are downloading the same data anyway. EPG123 is all ready to go for a server-client model.

Are the two routers both behind the same modem? You should be able to set them up to talk to each other without too much trouble (port forwarding?). Or even share the file in "the cloud" -- one machine could upload it to a drop box, and the other download it.