ATSC Channel That Was Added To WMC(Win7) Disappears After EPG123 Updates

WGWeatherCenter

HTPC Specs: Show details

ATSC Channel That Was Added To WMC(Win7) Disappears After EPG123 Updates

Post by WGWeatherCenter » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Running Window Media Center WMC on Windows 7.
After manually adding two ATSC Digital channels to WMC, which happen to be two separate outputs from two ATSC RF Digital Modulators, which mean they will NOT be found in any database, seem to be DISABLED in WMC.
Every morning after an update, I have to manually go into WMC and re-ENABLE them which restores them until the next time EPG123 updates.
All the regular over-the-air channels are unaffected.
What do I need to do to correct this snafu ? :crazy: :crazy:
This problem did not exist prior to using EPG123 latest version downloaded Jan 1 2020.
Please only reply with a positive solution.
Thanx,
Willow Grove Weather Center

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:38 pm

I certainly can give you a solution, I'll let you determine positive or negative.

All you need to do is delete your current task, disable the 'Automatically match...' or 'Automatch' options, and create your task again. The automatch not only makes sure guide listings are attached to appropriate channels, but it will also disable any channels that does not have any listings. Disable the automatch, and you stop the disabling of channels that have no guide listings assigned to them.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

WGWeatherCenter

Post by WGWeatherCenter » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:56 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:38 pm I certainly can give you a solution, I'll let you determine positive or negative.

All you need to do is delete your current task, disable the 'Automatically match...' or 'Automatch' options, and create your task again. The automatch not only makes sure guide listings are attached to appropriate channels, but it will also disable any channels that does not have any listings. Disable the automatch, and you stop the disabling of channels that have no guide listings assigned to them.
Where is this AUTOMATCH option you are referring to.
I'm a new user and don't have the slightest idea what and where you are referring.
Please provide detailed steps to follow.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 pm

Take a look at this page for the Scheduled Task. It shows the option I am talking about. http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/finalstep/. The option is 'Automatically match stations to channels' in the configuration GUI, and simply 'Automatch' in the client GUI.
garyan2 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:38 pmAll you need to do is delete your current task, disable the 'Automatically match...' or 'Automatch' options, and create your task again.
1) In the Scheduled Task area, click the [Delete] button
2) Uncheck the option to 'Automatically match...' or 'Automatch'
3) Click the [Create] button
- Gary

WGWeatherCenter

Post by WGWeatherCenter » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:57 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 pm Take a look at this page for the Scheduled Task. It shows the option I am talking about. http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/finalstep/. The option is 'Automatically match stations to channels' in the configuration GUI, and simply 'Automatch' in the client GUI.
garyan2 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:38 pmAll you need to do is delete your current task, disable the 'Automatically match...' or 'Automatch' options, and create your task again.
THAT made it SO MUCH CLEARER.
Thank you so much and hopefully tomorrow morning all will be back to normal and will post either way.
:D :D :D

WGWeatherCenter

Post by WGWeatherCenter » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:52 pm

WGWeatherCenter wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:57 pm
garyan2 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:04 pm Take a look at this page for the Scheduled Task. It shows the option I am talking about. http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/finalstep/. The option is 'Automatically match stations to channels' in the configuration GUI, and simply 'Automatch' in the client GUI.
THAT made it SO MUCH CLEARER.
Thank you so much and hopefully tomorrow morning all will be back to normal and will post either way.
:D :D :D
I just realized that YOU are the head guru for EPG.
Excellent solution for WMC , wish we had known about your service MUCH earlier.
Can't believe we've been putting up with MSoft's monopoly all this time.
Is there a complete operating guide available that goes over ALL the operating field options ? :D

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 pm

jwk wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:33 pmSo, if the cause of this is what you're describing in this thread, it's really hard for me to understand why there is no guide data for the ABC affiliate in the US 6th Market!!!

Any thoughts?!?!?
Not what is being described, but we can solve it here. If you open the client, on the left side you should see your 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 and 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 channels you manually added. On the right side, do you see 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 and 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 that you added in the configuration GUI to be downloaded?
- Gary

jwk

Post by jwk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:22 pm

No, on the left pane there weren't any of the 7.1,7.s, 7.3 , 7.4, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3
On the right pane there wasn't any 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 but there was 9.1, 9.2, 9.2

I closed the EPG123 Client and re-opened.
Now all of them are showing on the left pane but only 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 have check marks
On the right pane 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 are showing, but not 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4

So now, I presume that the left pane is 'All Scanned Sources' PLUS Manually Added Sources
And the right pane is the EPG Local Over the Air Broadcast Lineup (20852) FILTERED BY The Checked of Guide Channels

And at this point I just need to check boxes for 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 and run an Update from the Client Guide Tool to populate the WMC Guide with Channel Numbers and Program Info.

Funny, I don't remember doing this for 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3, but I must have, otherwise they would have gotten dumped too when I ran the Scheduled update at 2AM this morning.

BTW, OT, I tried updating with the .bat file you described in another thread, but it didn't seem to work even though I carefully checked the paths , which were the same as mine, even though I saw a flash of the command window when I initiated it. I wonder if I have to 'Run as Administrator' ? I'll have to go back and look at it, I'm pretty familiar with .bat files... I should be seeing the date / time stamp on C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output\epg123.mxf change when the bat file is run, right? ...and that didn't happen.

Thanks Gary, this is really a nice piece of software, and I really appreciate your contribution of it, and your support.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:34 pm

jwk wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:22 pm No, on the left pane there weren't any of the 7.1,7.s, 7.3 , 7.4, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3
On the right pane there wasn't any 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 but there was 9.1, 9.2, 9.2

I closed the EPG123 Client and re-opened.
Now all of them are showing on the left pane but only 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 have check marks
On the right pane 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 are showing, but not 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4

So now, I presume that the left pane is 'All Scanned Sources' PLUS Manually Added Sources
And the right pane is the EPG Local Over the Air Broadcast Lineup (20852) FILTERED BY The Checked of Guide Channels

And at this point I just need to check boxes for 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 and run an Update from the Client Guide Tool to populate the WMC Guide with Channel Numbers and Program Info.

Funny, I don't remember doing this for 9.1, 9.2, and 9.3, but I must have, otherwise they would have gotten dumped too when I ran the Scheduled update at 2AM this morning.

BTW, OT, I tried updating with the .bat file you described in another thread, but it didn't seem to work even though I carefully checked the paths , which were the same as mine, even though I saw a flash of the command window when I initiated it. I wonder if I have to 'Run as Administrator' ? I'll have to go back and look at it, I'm pretty familiar with .bat files... I should be seeing the date / time stamp on C:\ProgramData\GaRyan2\epg123\output\epg123.mxf change when the bat file is run, right? ...and that didn't happen.

Thanks Gary, this is really a nice piece of software, and I really appreciate your contribution of it, and your support.
The client doesn't do live updates, so if you added the channels in WMC while the client was open, they won't show until you restart the client.

To get the 7.x's on the right side, you need to select them for download in the EPG123 Configuration GUI. What you see on the right is only what you have downloaded and imported into the guide. The rights side list has no idea if the any of the listings listed are being used in the guide. You could add a lineup for Cleveland, and it will show all the channels you selected to download from the Cleveland lineup.
- Gary

jwk

Post by jwk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:30 pm

Ok, so add new VHF Channels to Guide using the WMC i/face, check-mark those channels in the EPG123 Configuration program.
Do I 'Save' or do I 'Save and Execute" - I don't know what the distinction is.

Thank you for confirming what I thought- that the Client Guide Tool doesn't live Update. Restart for updated status.

And the Client Tool Scheduled Task is only for the purpose of transferring the latest updated Guide information to WMC (Of course there are other Client Configuration & Actions that are part of the Tool, but in this conversation I'm only referring to the Scheduled Task section).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:41 pm

The Save button just saves your updated configuration to file to be used the next time the guide listings is downloaded. The Save and Execute goes ahead and performs a download immediately.

The Scheduled Task, for both the client and the server, is the same task. The Scheduled Task is strictly for the download and importing of guide listings.
- Gary

jwk

Post by jwk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:29 pm

Okay, I checked the four 7.x channels in the EPG123 Configuration program and Save & Executed.
Then I set the EPG123 Client Guide Tool to do a Scheduled update a few minutes from the current time.
About 5 minutes after the scheduled run time I restarted the Client Guide Tool, it siill showed no Service Name in the Left pane and no Channel 7.x entries in the right pane,.
A few minutes after that I restarted the EPG123 Client Tool again. This time the Left pane Service Names were populated and the Right panel Ch 7.x entries had populated the list, the WMC Channel Guide 7.x listings are populated and channel logos are installed.

Apparently takes longer than I expected to complete the scheduled updates.
I just noticed I've been running the Client Guide Tool in "Full Mode", and that there's a "Client Mode" as well... what's the difference?

Thanks for guiding me through this Gary, greatly appreciate your guidance.
I'm assuming that Client Scheduled updates occur in the background and it isn't necessary for the client to be open.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:48 pm

When you did a save and execute, there should have been a window showing that progress. The new file isn't created until that process is done. There would have been another window showing the progress of the import, so the results wouldn't be in your guide until that was done.

The 'Full Mode' and 'Client Mode' are for the Scheduled Task. Reference http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/finalstep.

Once you setup the Schedules Task, and you set it up for Full Mode, then the guide listings will be downloaded and then imported daily at the time you specified. EPG123/EPG123 Client do not reside in memory and do not need to be open. In fact, the update will fail if the EPG123 Configuration window is open.
- Gary

jwk

Post by jwk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:00 am

There was a progress indicator during the save and execute, but I don't remember a second window... but I was planning to mention in a separate post when I got a chance, that when I did the initial install, I had several issues, one of which was that I had the installer window open and a dialogue window open, and was logged in to my Schedules Direct account, and I reached a point where I couldn't do anything the EPG123 window and it's dialogue box seemed to be saying that I had to close the other before I could continue, so I could go no further. When I opened Task Manager to close out the installation and try to start over, I discovered that unbeknownst to me, EPG123 had opened a third window, but opened it under the Schedules Direct window, and that was the window that EPG123 was requesting to close.

"In fact, the update will fail if the EPG123 Configuration window is open."- Haven't made that mistake yet, I probably would have eventually had you not mentioned it- good to know!