WMC Reinstall - Missing Channels

Jim S

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Reinstall - Missing Channels

Post by Jim S » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:23 pm

I had WMC set up on my computer and hooked to Spectrum cable with digital converter and cable card. Everything was working great. Running Win 7 64 bit. Then the hard drive crashed on the computer. We replaced the hard drive with a new larger hard drive. Then reloaded Win 7 from my original disks and got that to run. Then we had trouble getting WMC to work properly. After 4 Spectrum tecs visit they determined I needed a new box and card.
That helped in that I now received channels up to 22 but no higher. Tech # 6, very nice guy, checked all their stuff and felt it might be a software issue. He felt I needed to load digital cable app as it appears this is missing from my WMC.
Help! Where can a get a safe copy of this file or any suggestions what else I might do to get the rest of my channels 22 -99

Jim

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:51 pm

You need to install the Digital Cable Advisor (DCA). The DCA icon (a picture of a coaxial cable/connector) usually appears in WMC after you install the driver/software for your tuner. What tuner do you have?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Space

Post by Space » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:53 pm

And for future reference, once you have your system up and working, make an image of the system drive. This way you just replace the drive and restore the image, need to reinstall windows or configure anything. In most cases even your existing copy protected videos will continue to work (as long as you are able to rescue the licenses file from the bad disk, or make an image on a regular basis). I use Macrium Reflect (free) but there are other options.