Changing out GPU

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
AnnasDaddy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Changing out GPU

Post by AnnasDaddy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:04 pm

In my current HTPC I am having problems with the GPU (gv-685oc-1gd) with it black screening. Apparently there is a problem with the memory controller on it, that overheats and causes the card to make the PC unusable until a hard reset occurs.

My question is this: if I change out the video card, will I lose all of my protected recordings? I ask because my daughter has become enamored with Beethoven (1992 movie about St. Bernard), and if I were to lose it I think she might have a nuclear meltdown. I am going to have to RMA the card back to Gigabyte (and hope the third one works, where the first 2 failed), and was going to pick up a cheap GPU to service us in the mean-time. I am concerned that if I use a different GPU, will PlayReady pick it up, and disable those recordings? Also, if I just leave it down for the 1-2 weeks a RMA will take, would the new card cause it to fail too?

Anyone have any experience with this? I don't mind losing the HBO recordings, as they are re-broadcast all of the time, but Beethoven might be a deal breaker...

Thanks,
AD

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:16 am

I have changed my video card several times without it breaking DRM.

I would definitely suggest creating a system image before starting, which will preserve your DRM keys.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

AnnasDaddy

Post by AnnasDaddy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:32 am

I thought that I had read somewhere that even an image wouldn't preserve the DRM keys as they are timestamped? I did create a clonezilla backup once I got everything working the way I wanted, but read somewhere that someone else had tried the same and failed. They had created a clone of the disc, but when they re-imaged the disc, PlayReady failed...

Have you tried to revert back to your image, and did it work? If so, what software did you use to create the backup?

Glad to hear the video card isn't tied to the DRM keys however! Now if I can just get Gigabyte to pay for shipping the RMA...

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:55 am

When you create a system image, it backs up the keys for all currently recorded shows. The keys for shows recorded after the backup would not be included.

I used the built-in Windows backup to make an image. I didn't have to use the image because DRM didn't break. I did break DRM once after replacing a faulty motherboard with the exact same model.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct