Running with low specs

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
devmorgan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Running with low specs

Post by devmorgan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Been trolling for a while, but time to make my first post!

I've been running with this guy ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856158009 ) for a while (Ion, Atom 330 [Dual Core 1.6ghz], currently 2gb RAM, upgrading to 4 soon). I've finally decided to buy an actual CableCARD tuner and start watching TV through the media pc. I prefer to go with a USB device because of the small form factor of the PC as well as less dependency on my network. I hope to upgrade to a whole new system in the future, but still want to hold off on that a little longer.

I've been basically looking at the Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB and Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650. The Ceton looks nice, and offers me the most expansion capability in the future, and I tend to lean towards it. However, the minimum specs are 2.0 GHz dual core and 3 (4 rec) GB of RAM. The question I have is, can I still get away with using it with my current box if I only utilize one or two tuners at a time. Is the min. spec for total usage? That said, general thoughts on going with the Hauppauge - is it worth saving the money and going with that?

Any insight would be fantastic.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:08 pm

I have used 2 tuners with Atom N330, and it was fine. I think 4 tuners may be pushing it.

So, if you get the quad tuner then you will be paying for 2 tuners that you can't use. However, as you said, you plan to upgrade in the future, so, I think you can try and use the quad tuner, and actually see if the system will run with it.

I can tell you that these Atoms are great for a single TV DVR replacement, but if you are planning on connecting extenders, they can either send the signal to the extender, or the TV attached to the unit, not both at the same time. System starts to freeze up and you start to lose frames.

I have upgraded from the N330 to quad core Athlon II that I got on sale for $50. It is by far the best bang for the buck. Socket AM2+/AM3 motherboards are cheap, about $40-$50. You can re-use everything else you have in the Atom system (memory, HD, remote, OS...)

And if you are not planning to connect other TV's to the system, get an Athlon II X3 or X2m they are cheap too, and will work fine for what you want them to do.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:10 am

blueiedgod wrote:So, if you get the quad tuner then you will be paying for 2 tuners that you can't use.
What?!? I'm not sure where you got that idea, but you need to give it back. If 1 tuner works, 4 tuners will work without any problem. The CPU doesn't matter...it's not really doing anything. All you are doing is writing data to disk. That requires very little CPU (certainly nowhere close to 1.6 GHz worth of CPU).

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 am

devmorgan wrote:
I've been basically looking at the Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB and Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650.
Have you considered the SiliconDust HDHR Prime as well? You wouldn't have to connect anything directly to your system.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

devmorgan

Post by devmorgan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Scallica wrote:Have you considered the SiliconDust HDHR Prime as well? You wouldn't have to connect anything directly to your system.
I have not. I was initially thinking just the USB solutions. Do you think the network based solutions are as good or superior? What kind of specs do they require of the network and the machines linking up to them?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:04 pm

richard1980 wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:So, if you get the quad tuner then you will be paying for 2 tuners that you can't use.
What?!? I'm not sure where you got that idea, but you need to give it back. If 1 tuner works, 4 tuners will work without any problem. The CPU doesn't matter...it's not really doing anything. All you are doing is writing data to disk. That requires very little CPU (certainly nowhere close to 1.6 GHz worth of CPU).
I could not get 3x ATI DCT's to work at the same time with Atom/Ion. Only 2 would work reliably. Starting 3rd recording caused all 3 to get choppy. I ruled out hard drive access, as I could reliably record 2 shows and watch a previously recorded show at the same time. I know, in theory it should work, but it didn't.

I admit I have not tried Ceton on the Atom/Ion (no PCI-e on that board).

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 pm

devmorgan wrote: I have not. I was initially thinking just the USB solutions. Do you think the network based solutions are as good or superior? What kind of specs do they require of the network and the machines linking up to them?
I think the HDHR Prime is as good as any other tuner. However, I think your end results will be better if you manually assign tuners rather than using dynamic tuner assignment (which is problematic).

The requirements are listed on the product website:

http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-cc/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:23 pm

Scallica wrote:I think the HDHR Prime is as good as any other tuner. However, I think your end results will be better if you manually assign tuners rather than using dynamic tuner assignment (which is problematic).
I've never gotten around to doing this, but have had problems with the tuner going out until I close and open up WMC again. Wonder if this would help.