The next generation of TVs: 0 Bezel, ultra thin

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

The next generation of TVs: 0 Bezel, ultra thin

Post by makryger » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:27 am

Not sure how excited people get about the look of their televisions, but for someone who can't tell the difference between 120 hz and 240 hz tvs, and doesn't particularly care for 3D, I get excited about the technologies that move TV ever closer to blending into our walls.

Here's one TV from LG that is a mere 5 mm thick! It's an OLED display, which can typically be made thinner, but it means it will also be more expensive.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology ... -tv-panel/

But here's another interesting one- a "Zero bezel" display from Samsung. That, along with a thin display would certainly look amazing on a wall... but would people actually want zero bezel? I actually kind of like the frame around my tv.
http://www.stuff.tv/news/tv-and-hi-fi/r ... vs-in-2012
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:56 am

I'm more concerned with performance than I am with aesthetics. Unfortunately, TV manufacturers and most other consumers seem more concerned with aesthetics and features than with performance. Maybe one day they'll get it right, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:28 am

The closer the image hugs the wall the better it looks at first glance. That's what will sell them. Look through a window and get back to me.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:33 am

Even with today's panels I've always strived to get the tightest bezel and thinnest wall mount. Think projector on to wall and never quite get there :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:53 pm

richard1980 wrote:I'm more concerned with performance than I am with aesthetics. Unfortunately, TV manufacturers and most other consumers seem more concerned with aesthetics and features than with performance. Maybe one day they'll get it right, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Exactly my thoughts and experience. I have a Samsung 55D7000 - it's a side lid ultra thin led panel... oh and did I mention it's a POS??!! The banding, both H and V is appalling! I am going though the motions of trying to get a full refund. I have had 3 panel replacements and a full tv replacement!

The image attached is a pic of my set supposedly displaying a pure solid grey image!! Did I mention it's POS??!!!

In case you aren't sure what I am getting at, it's a POS!! :/
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326041549.445723.jpg
Rich

dduk

Post by dduk » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:38 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:
richard1980 wrote:I'm more concerned with performance than I am with aesthetics. Unfortunately, TV manufacturers and most other consumers seem more concerned with aesthetics and features than with performance. Maybe one day they'll get it right, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Exactly my thoughts and experience. I have a Samsung 55D7000 - it's a side lid ultra thin led panel... oh and did I mention it's a POS??!! The banding, both H and V is appalling! I am going though the motions of trying to get a full refund. I have had 3 panel replacements and a full tv replacement!

The image attached is a pic of my set supposedly displaying a pure solid grey image!! Did I mention it's POS??!!!

Too much smut will do that to a LED panel - scientific fact.

NWW

Post by NWW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:57 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:

Do you mind sending over your test file? I'd like to try that with the D8000 we have at home. It is the same LCD panel, so I should be seeing the same problem as you are.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:25 pm

dduk wrote:
StumpyBloke wrote:

Too much smut will do that to a LED panel - scientific fact.
How dare you, I'm a good Christian boy!! Actually, thankfully, I'm none of the above!! :D
Rich

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:25 pm

NWW wrote:
StumpyBloke wrote:

Do you mind sending over your test file? I'd like to try that with the D8000 we have at home. It is the same LCD panel, so I should be seeing the same problem as you are.
Enjoy
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326050738.051840.jpg
Rich

dduk

Post by dduk » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:31 pm

StumpyBloke wrote: How dare you, I'm a good Christian boy!! Actually, thankfully, I'm none of the above!! :D
That'll make you an ill-behaved atheist girl. I knew it!

NWW

Post by NWW » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Just tested it, and I may be wrong, but that looks more like the fact that it is an Edge-lit screen... What I see (I don't have a good enough DSLR or point and shoot to show you) looks more like the center of the screen is darker than the rest. Now, I may be mistaken, I'm not that experienced in this domain, and in the 9 months we had it, I have never noticed it...

Anyway, back at the topic at hand :)

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I ain't a boy, I'm a maaaaaaan!!! :p

But a very proud atheist so you are right on that one Aaron!! ;)

Anyway... Back to it..
Rich

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:10 am

StumpyBloke wrote:

Dude.. Don't take this the wrong way .. and I am sorry your TV is a POS.. but I kinda had to giggle at your post.. :D

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:38 am

I'll take 3 of those 0 bezel machines in a 27 inch form factor. Finally no big lines in my triple screen racing sim rig.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:43 pm

newfiend wrote:
StumpyBloke wrote:

Dude.. Don't take this the wrong way .. and I am sorry your TV is a POS.. but I kinda had to giggle at your post.. :D
Lol

I have to laugh at the POS otherwise I'd cry!! :)
Rich

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm

I have to agree that I like having some sort of frame around my TV. The Samsung PN64D8000 plasma I just bought has about a 1 inch bezel, and that's fine with me.

The TV is only about 1 inch thick also, which is pretty cool. That's not as thin as some of the LCD TV's that are coming out, but thin enough for me. I mounted it on a wall mount that is only about 3/4 of an inch thick.

As for the comment about about a projector on a wall... you would still want a black mask around the screen. Without a mask, the projected image doesn't "pop" like it should.