Still 7MC has features others don't

adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Still 7MC has features others don't

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:58 pm

I was reading up on Silicon Dust's new, not-yet-released Servio DVR:

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/201 ... alone-dvr/

and this caught my eye:
If you decide to replace an existing HDHomeRun DVR setup, you’ll unfortunately need to handle file migration yourself. While SiliconDust is considering building a file transfer experience into the software, it won’t be available when the Servio launches. Fortunately, all of your existing recordings are just stored as simple TS files, and if you want to move them manually yourself, that will be an option. Adding this device as secondary storage hasn’t been fully fleshed out yet. They envision supporting a “master” recording location with the ability to specify secondary locations, but that isn’t ready yet.
How long has Media Center had this ability?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:48 pm

How many years now waiting on their 6 channel tuner. It's been maybe a year since they've even mentioned it. And the 4 channel tuner was discontinued.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 pm

I don't think Silicon Dust ever had a 4 stream tuner. They always had a 3 stream unit.

But the 6 stream tuner is coming soon:

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime-6/

So there's that.

So with SD, you have the choice of buying your pay TV from your cable provider OR from them. If you buy pay TV from them, you can integrate it with your antenna TV and make it look like what your cable company provides. One guide, one set of channels, and all recordable in one place.

Options are nice.

I have had Tablo on my radar for a few years now; however, they were clearly not a player for people who come from and expect ReplayTV and WMC features. But within the last year they added some sorely needed features:

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/advanced-r ... -ota-dvrs/

It's hard to imagine using a DVR without these features, but people did. Imagine having it record EVERY SHOWING of a series, and the only mechanism to delete them is either (a) entirely manual, or (b) when it runs out of space it goes to the oldest shows and just deletes what it wants. Imagine no choice for setting a limit per series on how many to keep.

They also struggled with how to present shows. At first it they were listed by recorded date, then they changed it to being listed by show number in the series. And because it kept every show in a series no matter what (reruns, everything), one could find one's self scrolling to the bottom of a long list just to find last night's show.

It *looks* like they're now presenting much more like WMC, which is a good thing. But, there's no cableCARD ability; Tablo is an OTA solution. And its only integration with other streaming services is the fact that the Tablo app resides on the same Roku or FireTV (for example) that has your other streaming apps.

The world is coming together to do what WMC did long ago, but even then it's not all there.

However, as an OTA user, what excites me is the upcoming Tablo commercial skip feature. I may throw some coin at one of their tuners just to check it out. The question always comes up here: "what's my next move after WMC?" We're always looking for it, right? Tablo *may* be it. I think I'd rather do Silicon Dust--but I'll make the permanent move only after some evaluation, and to Silicon Dust only if they figure out commercial skip (which they've sworn in the past they'll never do).

This whole process reminds me of years ago when ReplayTV began to die--first the company, then the TV technology that fed it (analog). I spent several years looking at what's next, and waiting for a cableCARD tuner that would give me my desired goal of a recording tank with remote streamers. When Ceton came out with their first one, the 4 tuner PCI unit, I was there. $433 plus a few weeks for shipping (inventory was very slowly creeping out of the factory), and that was after a few years of hearing the news dribble out--"coming soon!". Does anyone remember the thread about tracking your order and who got what when? And then I had to build a PC to host it all.

And now we're waiting for the rest of the world to slowly get back to where we were--how many years ago?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:29 pm

3 tuner it was. I'm still on CableCards. In my area OTA is slim.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm

adam1991 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:58 pm I was reading up on Silicon Dust's new, not-yet-released Servio DVR:

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/201 ... alone-dvr/

and this caught my eye:
If you decide to replace an existing HDHomeRun DVR setup, you’ll unfortunately need to handle file migration yourself. While SiliconDust is considering building a file transfer experience into the software, it won’t be available when the Servio launches. Fortunately, all of your existing recordings are just stored as simple TS files, and if you want to move them manually yourself, that will be an option. Adding this device as secondary storage hasn’t been fully fleshed out yet. They envision supporting a “master” recording location with the ability to specify secondary locations, but that isn’t ready yet.
How long has Media Center had this ability?
You can add another location manually. The instructions in the link are from 2015 so hopefully still applicable. They are moving awfully slow adding some basic user settings and UI improvements overall.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... 92&t=20619

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:43 pm

To follow up on this thread some, I just found out that while Tablo now has many features that 7MC has had forever, priority list isn't one of them.

Apparently--and I hope I'm wrong--shows are prioritized internally inside Tablo according to when the user put them on the recording list.

Really? So when new shows come into the lineup, adding them to the end of the list puts them at risk of not being recorded.

I guess you could add new tuners...oh, wait, Tablo doesn't do it that way. WMC does, and so does Silicon Dust's own system. Also Plex.

The "what's next" issue isn't yet solved for me...

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm

My big question is lets say I want to upgrade to current versions of Win 10, how will I be able to view my HBO, etc. recordings? Will HDHR View play them? I still don't see myself upgrading pretty much ever but I'm still watching how other PVRs are progressing.

DarkKaplah

Post by DarkKaplah » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Ok. The information I've read on the HDHR DVR is that if you have a windows 10 server and the HDHR Xbox One client (or just watch on the server) you can watch and record pay channels like HBO. No other clients work yet. I believe this might have changed (I've stopped checking on the HDHR solution a year ago as I went with Plex and don't need pay channels) but they could have only improved since then.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:59 pm

^Still can't record DRM content. You can view with Xbox, W10 app, and AndroidTV. The record engine has no prerequisite in terms of DRM.

DarkKaplah

Post by DarkKaplah » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Not trying to be a complete wise guy, but why bother recording via media center? I switched over to using playon with hbo go. If you have hbo you just need use your cable company log in with the hbo go site. Works like a charm and you don't need to convert from wtv after for uses off your media center.

I picked up playon on a sale and after a long road trip with a toddler who wanted to see "True and the rainbow kingdom" on the rental caravan's screen it more than paid for itself.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:19 pm

I have a playon subscription also, and it isn't without issues but its just not as stable as WMC, and there is a big difference in picture and sound quality. I could only get playon to play at 720p in stereo which is great if your in a car with a toddler but it falls pretty far short in a home theater. They also seem to have periodic issues where Playon won't record from certain sites -I had this problem with amazon, and ABC - and I regularly get messages about how I have to log back in. Not all of the channel plugins in their catalogue still work, I never got youtube authentication to work, and I still have to log back into certain sites from time to time. I actually use playon with tubecore to watch podcasts in WMC but I still need to use zune to download those podcasts so playon doesn't directly fix that problem either. So I guess for remote access playon is the clear winner when it is working correctly but for around the house WMC can still a lot playon can't