One good OTA channel not working - strange problem

Einstien

HTPC Specs: Show details

One good OTA channel not working - strange problem

Post by Einstien » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 am

Channel 10.1, 10.2 and so on thru 10.12 will not come in using WMC. These channels were first identified as received channels after a channel scan. Selecting the channels in WMC, I get the message "There is no signal detected for this channel...". Yet if I go to Tasks, check digital TV antenna strength, all the channel 10 sub channels show 5 green bars (out of six possible). I have other channels with the same strength that come in just fine. If I go the Silicondust QuickTV preview, the channel 10 sub channels all come in fine. I mean there is no dropouts, no lag, no pixelation, no buffering, no delay tuning in, it just comes on fine. Sub channels for 9 and 11 (one above and below the VHF 10) are also fine. Here is an excerpt from a scan log I did.

SCANNING: 195000000 (us-bcast:10)
LOCK: 8vsb (ss=83 snq=86 seq=100)
TSID: 0x0001
PROGRAM 3: 10.1 KIIO-LD
PROGRAM 4: 10.2 ARTN
PROGRAM 5: 10.3 HORIZON
PROGRAM 6: 10.4 AABC
PROGRAM 7: 10.5 H2
PROGRAM 8: 10.6 AMGA
PROGRAM 9: 10.7 SHANT
PROGRAM 10: 10.8 KENTRON
PROGRAM 11: 10.9 H1
PROGRAM 12: 10.10 PANARM
PROGRAM 14: 10.12 ARMMUS

It is 8vsb so I don't see a broadcast standard problem. Only thing I can think of is perhaps the ss=83, but why then does it show 5 bars green out of 6 when checking the antenna signal in Tasks?

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:24 am

You could try this if those channel work on the TV direct but not in WMC, it worked for me on my channel 9.

The database of channel in WMC for some reason is wrong for my Channel 9.x. Virtual channel and RF channel # something wrong.
The Channel show up in the guide but get no video when i call them up. I get no signal message but channel work fin when cable connected direct to TV tuner.

I have to delete them from the WMC guide and then manually add them back in.
So you delete them with Guidetool or using the menus in WMC.
Then add then under task>TV>Guide>Add Missing Channel
Then using GuideTool to assign guide data if needed or do it in WMC menus.

Einstien

Post by Einstien » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:06 am

Thanks for the idea Rainey. That's an idea. The channels were assigned and the frequencies added manually by me using the EPG123 guide tool. The frequencies were determined by the actual results from the Silcondust channel scan as shown in the log excerpt. The channel 10 sub channels are all VHF 10. It could be some error in the WMC channel database. So rather than add them with the EPG guide tool, I'll delete them and add them thru the WMC interface. I'll post the results.

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:32 am

Quick answer - Read page 13 of the EPG123 user's guide concerning Additional OTA Configuration.

Einstien

Post by Einstien » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks for the idea Rainey (and Gripweed). So originally I added these channels manually using EPG123 Guide Tool, which always works very well for all 69+ OTA sub-channels.
Anyway, I took your idea rainey, and deleted the channel 10 sub channels, and added them through the WMC interface instead. As I added them, WMC presented a message, "channel not available" (or something similar). It added them okay anyway, but when I accessed them through WMC guide, it said there was no signal for that channel. Again, when I go to Tasks and check signal strength, it scans them and they are strong, in the green. All other OTA's are fine, only channel 10. Strange. Well, it was worth a shot.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:14 am

If you hook the antenna up to the TV direct can it get those channels? If you enter channel 10 what channel tunes in?

In my case WMC said channel 9 was RF channel 47.
After i deleted those channel
I added them back as Chanel 9 and RF channel 9 and they worked. Because on the TV i could get those channel on channel 9 not 47.

I have some other channel like that, if on the TV i enter channel 14 i get channel 26, if i enter channel 47 i get channel 7.
If i look at the info for those channels in WMC the channel number and the RF channel numbers are different.

You may need to enter a different RF number for the channel to work on your channel 10

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:30 am

I had this happen to me, my fix was do another channel setup process. But the problem happened after I changed a tuner card, and then after the new channel scan play ready cant update. But you dont need playready to work if none of the channels are protected. and none of the OTA channels are.

I thought it was weird also, a channel showing no signal, but in the tv strength menu showed all green bars.

I have also had to add in a channel and it did work if you get the correct digital channel in.
You can recheck that using this
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php