Tablo adding commercial skip

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tablo adding commercial skip

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:57 pm

New devices, complete with ability to use internal drives, plus now adding commercial skip:

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/new-year-n ... cial-skip/

This may be on my radar when the updated quad comes out. Although, the commercial skip works fine on existing setups.

Cheaper than Tivo, provided you already have Roku and Fire TV etc.--which most of us have. $200 for the quad, $130 for a 5TB internal drive, and $150 for lifetime guide service.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Looks interesting. SiliconDust is also coming out with a standalone OTA DVR.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/hdhomer ... in-on-dvr/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

ErnestWes

Post by ErnestWes » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Having a commercial skip is going to be the biggest selling point for me. I just wouldn't consider anything new that doesn't have it at this point.
You will be amazed after reading this probiotics for women success story online.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 pm

ErnestWes wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 pm Having a commercial skip is going to be the biggest selling point for me. I just wouldn't consider anything new that doesn't have it at this point.
This right here.

The problem is, unlike ReplayTV where the commercial skip was built into the firmware of the machine (and therefore possession of the machine meant continued and ongoing commercial skip capability), this commercial skip depends on a software update for all users plus cloud services. And when Hollywood comes charging forth with lawyers, that cloud service will shut down faster than you can imagine and everyone's software will auto-update with no chance of recovery.

You are dependent on the continued whims of the provider.

Welcome to the always-connected world.

For the price, it's intriguing. But while I might turn off my WMC system, I wouldn't trash it. I'd store it away for the inevitable day.

Of course, the usefulness for me of my WMC rig will go away as ATSC standards change. SiliconDust may provide the ATSC 3.0 tuner, but no way will they provide Win7 drivers.