Confused about which Win 8 Pro Pack SKU to buy

rdlauer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Confused about which Win 8 Pro Pack SKU to buy

Post by rdlauer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:32 pm

I've been reading through the forum trying to find out the exact SKU/model of Windows 8 to buy that includes Media Center. I did find this:

Windows 8.1 Pro Pack Upgrade - Windows [Digital]
Model: 5VR-00139
SKU: 2240003

...but the only options I can find on ebay are "Microsoft Windows 8 Pro Pack" MPN: 3UR00001

If I already have an 8.1 Pro license, does anyone know which of these products I would need to buy to activate WMC?

aquadextrous

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by aquadextrous » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:46 pm

I don't think there is a version that specifically comes with WMC - From memory you had to have any Windows 8 Pro installed and activated with a key and then used a separate key to activate WMC within Windows 8 Pro using the add features option. A while ago when testing WMC on windows 8 i found it almost impossible to find an unused Media Center Pack key. Using the Windows 10 WMC installers available online worked fine though. This is probably your easiest option.
I wouldn't really recommend W8 for WMC though - most W8 apps are becoming obsolete so no benefit there - If you want a stable, fully working WMC i would grab a Windows 7 Pro licence off ebay for next to nothing and use that. Or if you dont mind hassle of making it work and keeping it running (I do this as it handles 4K res better) then use Windows 10 and the installers for WMC online. You may need an older Windows 10 version depending what you want to have working... Just be prepared for a ballache setting it all up so everything works.