Audio is switched L&R

adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Audio is switched L&R

Post by adam1991 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 pm

For awhile I've been thinking my audio is switched L&R. I listen through headphones, so it's pretty obvious when the program does something very specific--like slam a door on the extreme left or right.

TV RCA out to headphone amplifier out to headphones.

The Good Doctor (ABC) had one of those instances recently, with a car coming in from the right. Yet in my ears the WMC sound came in from the left. Hmmmm.

I have Hulu, so I listened to the same program through that. And the audio was correct. So it wasn't my TV or wiring or headphone amp or headphones.

I did open the sound control panel in Windows and did a test; L&R are coming through correctly. So it's not Windows.

I haven't done an exhaustive look at this yet. At first I wondered if WMC was doing something wrong, and that's why I came here to ask. But I suppose my local ABC affiliate could be screwing it up at the broadcast level. I can try to test this on other channels. I'll keep an eye out for some extreme left or right audio cues on some other shows that I record which are also on Hulu. Maybe The Orville.

Anyway, any thoughts? It sounds so odd to think that WMC might be causing this.

adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:47 pm

UPDATE:

Fortunately, last night's Blacklist on NBC had a good scene with highly separated audio--and it came through correctly.

So, I've narrowed the problem away from my rig and WMC, and down to a single broadcast station.

I called and got hold of the audio engineer there, who is now highly interested and is investigating.