What to do:? UK transponder/channel movements during 2018

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
4moreinstallstoxmas

HTPC Specs: Show details

What to do:? UK transponder/channel movements during 2018

Post by 4moreinstallstoxmas » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 am

It has been almost a year since I last posted seeking advice here so something is definitely going right! During the last six months there have been many channel/transponder moves for UK FTA channels broadcast from the Astra 28.2E constellation, some of the moves I can live with as they are low rent channels. A few I do miss and have rescanned single transponders to get them back after scrolling through king of sat for the latest transponder data. I use vanilla windows media center on a stand alone windows media box.
What I want to avoid is a clean WMC installation because it takes me an entire day to wade through the multiple entries for regional channels/radio channels that are listed under various numbers then some of the channel numbers work and some don't. WMC and the channel idents from the SAT feed mock me because they do not list regional versions of a channel.
I use the WMC GUI to reorder the channels as I prefer them, BBC1 HD, BBC1SD North West, BBC1 Northern Ireland and so on. It is a labour I do not look forward to. I am hoping there is a way to slash the time spent if i elect to start fresh. Also if I recall correctly, uninstalling via progs/features then reinstalling Media Center leaves the initial setup data in place, ie:postcode/rovi guide agreement. Is there a file to delete to stop that happening?
Aside from the insane musical chairs of transponder/channel swaps and low rent channels going bust I have a very good experience unlike the bad days of the disappearing guide every Christmas before I jumped ship from rovi's nonsense.
What are my options?

garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:35 pm

The client GUI will make the task of reordering the channels a little easier. You can also bounce the information you see in the GUI to KingOfSat to see which are regional? Maybe? For the sat channels, you will see the transponder frequency and polarity (I didn't put in the NID/TID/SID; it got busy and confusing visually). In the client GUI, you can change the channel numbers and/or call signs to help with the reordering.

Uninstalling and reinstalling WMC only touches the program files. The database is not touched, so when you reinstall WMC and open it up, everything will still be as it was. If you want to start fresh, then using the client again, click the [Client Setup] button and do at least the first step to delete the eHome folder contents... need to delete the database to clear everything out.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io