XBOX360 - Network Issue

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
cnewsgrp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cnewsgrp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:50 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Here's how I understand what you wrote...

Router -> MOCA -> Living_Room_XBox
Router(port 1) -> wired -> HTPC

Right? Do you have more than one extender? If so, you could do this:

Router(port 2) -> wired -> 2nd_XBox
Router (port 3) -> wired -> 3rd_XBox
Router (port 4) -> wired -> Trendnet_switch
Trendnet_switch -> wired -> any other devices in the house, except extenders.

EDIT: The above assumes that your Ceton tuner is in the HTPC, and not in another PC connected via network bridging. If your tuner is bridged, then you would also want the PC containing the tuner to be plugged into the router.
Here is my current setup (now and before test)
Router -> MOCA (Netgear MCA001) -> Living_Room_XBox
Router (port 1) -> wired -> Trendnet_switch (port1)
Trendnet_switch(port 3) -> wired -> Bedroom -> Linksys GB Router => HTPC (Port1), HDHR Prime (Port2), Printer (Port3)
Trendnet_switch(port 4) -> wired -> Bedroom -> 2nd_XBox
Trendnet_switch(port 5) -> wired -> Basement -> 3rd_XBox
Trendnet_switch(port 6) -> wired -> Another Room -> Split into Phone + network jack at 100 mbps
Trendnet_switch(port 7) -> wired -> Bedroom -> 4th_XBox or Ceton Echo (coming soon)

I ran the test you requested and took Trendnet_switch out of the picture and I still see the issue. So I am back to my original setup. My HTPC is Dell Ins530 which does not have a GB port so I purchased one from Newegg. When I right click on connection it shows that its connected at 1 GBPS.

Any suggestions?
1) Is it a MOCA adapter issue? (But I see same issue in other room as well, but its not as bad it is in living room. In other room, I get "Network Issue for 2-3 seconds only)
2) Is it Network Card Issue? I have TP-Link NT TG-3468 32-bit Gigabit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CF ... 00_details
There is another thread with similar issue where suggestion is to use Intel NIC card http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=1492

3) Is it switch issue?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Now you're starting to paint a better picture. You have a very bad network topology for what you are trying to attempt. Basically, the path from your HTPC to your living room XBox goes through THREE switches, AND a MOCA adapter! Wow.

Do you see the problem on ALL of the XBoxes, or only on the one in the living room?

Is that gigabit LAN adapter in the HTPC plugged into a PCI, PCIe, or USB port?
What's the make and model of the LAN adapter?

This is unrelated to your XBox problems, but it is a very, very bad idea to run telephone and network through the same cable. Whatever network device you have plugged in the room with a telephone piggy-backed on the same cable (port 6 from your Trendnet switch) WILL have network problems when the phone rings. Guaranteed. You have to understand... the ringer signal for a telephone is 100 volts RMS at 20 Hz. The EMI, and maybe even the electrostatic interference will wreak havoc with any network devices on that wire. Plus, if the ringer signal somehow gets shorted with the wires connected to your network, you can count on smoking the switch and whatever device is connected at the other end of that wire... and maybe even other devices on your network.

OK... to give you some comparison, I have mine wired like this... and it works perfectly. I'm going to write this using my HTPC as a starting point. Mine is all wired, no MoCa, no wireless (except for laptops, smartphones, iPods, Kindles, etc). It's amazing how many networked devices we have in our houses these days, isn't it?

Anyway, here's my setup:

HTPC -> Gigabit_switch_B (port 1, priority port)
Gigabit_switch_B (port 2) -> Gigabit_Switch_A (port 1, priority port)
Gigabit_switch_A (ports 2-5) -> Four extenders (no XBoxes)
Gigabit_switch_A (port 8) -> Internet router

My HTPC is in the living room, under the TV, and is directly-connected to my main TV via HDMI.

The other ports in my router and the two switches are all used for BluRay players, desktop PC's, etc, etc. As you can see, my extenders only need to make two hops through switches with PLENTY of buffer space. Basically, the router and "switch A" are the hub for the whole house, with "switch B" situated behind the HTPC so I can plug in other stuff nearby, like the TV and other "smart" appliances. I would have preferred to have multiple cable runs from my wiring closet to the HTPC/TV, but I wired the house long before I ever imagined that I would have multiple networked devices near the TV.

I'm going to hold off giving you more suggestions until you answer my questions above.

EDIT: I now see that your post above already answered my questions. I'll have to look at it more later. I need to go pick up my kids now.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:13 am

First, I really think you need to replace the Trendnet switch. It doesn't have a large enough buffer. The one I linked in one of my earlier posts is the one I use in both locations, and it works perfectly... even though I have two of them daisy-chained together. It's not very expensive either. here's the link to the switch I recommend.

Secondly, I can't find any information about your Verizon router as to its buffer size or anything else for that matter. It may or may not be a good choice to use as a pass-thru for your Media Center Extender traffic. I can't really say... but I found a number of posts on other sites where people were complaining about this router's capabilities.

Third, you never mentioned this other router that you are using to plug in your HTPC, HDHR Prime, and printer. That one could be suspect too... especially if you're passing the connection through the router (using the WAN port) instead of just passing the data through the router's internal switch (using only the LAN ports). This is really a big one. You DO NOT want to use the WAN port in this extra router to up-link to the TrendNet switch. You are using that extra router as nothing but a switch, right?

At a minimum, I strongly recommend replacing the Trendnet switch and this other router with the switch I've recommended a couple of times in this thread. Two of them would cost you about $70.00 from NewEgg.

However, it would be best if you can re-wire. It would be far better if all your Ethernet cables run to a central location near your Verizon router, eliminate the MoCa adapter, and connect your HTPC and all your extenders to the same switch... preferably the one I recommended above. Is there a reason why you can't re-wire?

If it's absolutely impossible to re-wire (or at least eliminate the MoCa adapter), then your best bet is to move the Verizon router to the location where the HTPC is. Then, you could connect your HTPC ,HDHR Prime, and printer to the router directly (this eliminates one "hop" for the MoCa adapter to the living room)... and then up-link from the router to a new switch (using the one I recommend... in the location where the TrendNet switch is located now). You would connect all your other stuff to the new switch.

Before you do anything though, I recommend this test: Go out and buy a "Crossover Cat5e Cable" (see this link for examples). You can either buy one long enough to connect all the way from your HTPC to one of your XBoxes, or you can buy a short (cheap) cable... and move the PC or the XBox (and the TV) so they are close enough to one another. Then, you can connect the XBox directly to the PC using the crossover cable to test to see if you still have a problem. You won't be able to connect your HDHR Prime... you'll need to perform the test with some shows that you've previously recorded. This creates what is known as a "peer-to-peer network". If this test works, it eliminates your PC as the problem (except, possibly the network card and its settings).

So, do the test I mention above. If it works fine, then rewire and buy one of the switches I recommended. If you can't rewire, buy two switches. Here are three possible scenarios that you could try... and they should work better than what you are doing now:

OPTION 1: Re-wire(Leave Verizon Router where it is)
HTPC -> ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_A(Port1)
HDHRPrime -> ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_A(Port2)
Printer -> ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_A(Port4)
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_A(Port3) -> ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(Port1)
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(Port2) -> VerizonRouter(Port1)
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(Port3) -> LivingRoomXBox
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(port4) -> wired -> Bedroom -> 2nd_XBox
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(port5) -> wired -> Basement -> 3rd_XBox
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(port6) -> wired -> Another Room
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(port7) -> wired -> Bedroom -> 4th_XBox or Ceton Echo (coming soon)

OPTION 2: No_rewiring(Leave Verizon Router where it is)
HTPC -> ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_A(Port1)
HDHRPrime -> ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_A(Port2)
Printer -> ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_A(Port4)
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_A(Port3) -> ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(Port1)
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(Port2) -> VerizonRouter(Port1)
VerizonRouter(MoCa) -> LivingRoomXBox(MoCa)
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(port4) -> wired -> Bedroom -> 2nd_XBox
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(port5) -> wired -> Basement -> 3rd_XBox
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(port6) -> wired -> Another Room
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch_B(port7) -> wired -> Bedroom -> 4th_XBox or Ceton Echo (coming soon)

OPTION 3: No_Rewiring(new switches, move Verizon Router)
HTPC -> VerizonRouter(Port1)
HDHRPrime -> VerizonRouter(Port2)
Printer -> Verizon Router(Port4)
LIvingRoom(MoCa) -> VerizonRouter(MoCa)
VerizonRouter(Port3) -> ASUS_GX-D1081_switch(Port1)
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch(port 2) -> wired -> Bedroom -> 2nd_XBox
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch(port 3) -> wired -> Basement -> 3rd_XBox
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch(port 4) -> wired -> Another Room
ASUS_GX-D1081_switch(port 5) -> wired -> Bedroom -> 4th_XBox or Ceton Echo (coming soon)

I'm sure you can see that you could come up with lots of options. The main objective is to minimize the number of "hops" through switches and routers between your HTPC and the extenders. Also, you need to use better switches. Eliminating MoCA (or at least wiring it so that there are fewer "hops") is a good idea.

There are lots of things you can try. I will say that the network interface you bought is about as cheap as you can go. Mine is built on the motherboard in the HTPC... and it's a RealTek... which some people say they have problems with. However, I think your first and most effective change is to eliminate as many "hops" as possible... and replace the TrendNet switch and that other router that you are effectively using as a switch with the switch(es) I recommended. Your problem is most likely network latency... and you may not see this when you just copy a file from one computer to another.

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks again. This is lot to process, I will read today and tomorrow anxd try to figure out. I have tried to create a diagram of my home network. Here are the constraints I have
1) All wires start from basement and go to rooms so the switch has to stay there
2) I don't have the ability to run new wires
3) No wired switch in living room so MOCA is only option.

I will read your post today and try to reply today.

Thanks again.
Last edited by cnewsgrp on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Your drawing shows another router (three total), used as a switch in the Living Room... and it shows an ethernet cable to that room. I thought you said that you don't have wired ethernet in the living room? Is the MoCa adapter plugged into this other router in the living room?

Also... since you have a basement, wiring to all the rooms on the floor above the basement should be easy. Does the house have more than one floor above basement level? Which rooms are on which floors?

EDIT: Does Bedroom1 have a TV coax cable? Is that where the HDHR Prime is located?

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:37 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Your drawing shows another router (three total), used as a switch in the Living Room... and it shows an ethernet cable to that room. I thought you said that you don't have wired ethernet in the living room? Is the MoCa adapter plugged into this other router in the living room?

Also... since you have a basement, wiring to all the rooms on the floor above the basement should be easy. Does the house have more than one floor above basement level? Which rooms are on which floors?

EDIT: Does Bedroom1 have a TV coax cable? Is that where the HDHR Prime is located?
Yes. I did the diagram in a hurry and missed HDHR

1) Living room has Linksys E2000 configured as gigabit switch (using dd-wrt firmware). It has Xbox, PS3 attached. Connection in living room is
Coaxial -> MOCA (Netgear) -> E2000 (GB Switch) -> Xbox & PS3

2) I read your options and they require me to move HDHR and HTPC to the basement. Its kind of difficult. Do you really thing following connection can be cause of the problem.
Cat5E outlet from basement connected to Trendnet -> E3000 (GB Switch) -> HDHR, HTPC and Printer

The only diff is that instead of connecting to two ports of Trendnet switch, I have a E3000 GB switch connected to Trendnet and HTPC/HDHR are connected to E3000.

3) You mentioned earlier that about telephone. I don't think telephone interferes for me because its a separate wire from basement to kitchen. Its a Cat5e wire. I am using Blue and Blue/White for telephone and other six for Ethernet. Its a standard way to run telephone/ethernet on Cat5e or 6 wires without issues. Only issue is that any network device connected to kitchen will be limited to 100 mbps speeds. Right now nothing is connected there anyway so its just a standalone outlet.

4) I do see Network issues in other rooms as well, but they are not so bad. For e.g. in bedroom2 first time I change the channel there is no issue. Second time I see Network glitch for 1-2 seconds and then it auto corrects. Whereas in living room I get Network issue everytime and it takes about 5-9 seconds to correct.

5) I do agree on your point that Trendnet switch might be a problem and I will plan on replacing it soon. As far as other things I am really limited, I can run a wire to each room, but then if I have multiple devices then I do need GB switches in these rooms as well. I think linksys E3000 and E2000 are good GB switches and should be ok for a room. Here is what I did to configure GB router as switch only => http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switch
Is it really necessary to run multiple Cat5e wires for each device as opposed to connecting a GB switch at the outlet and connecting multiple devices to the switch which is what I am doing in living room and bedrooms.

6) I cannot run any more wires. My livingroom and kitchen are located above the basement (level2) and all the bedrooms are located above it (level3). All the wires originate on one end of the house so its very difficult to run a wire from basement to living room which is at opposite end.

7) I missed adding that the issue happens only while switching channels. I do get Network Issue while watching TV, but its very rare and I never see network issues while watching recoded TV.

Thanks again.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:19 pm

Are you saying that when you watch recorded TV (not live), you don't have this issue... even in the living room?

EDIT: Does it happen when you are recording 1 or more shows, while watching a previously-recorded show?

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:22 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Are you saying that when you watch recorded TV (not live), you don't have this issue... even in the living room?
Yes. No issue with Recorded TV. Infact I can safely say no issue with LiveTV either - Its so rare that I see "Network Issue" once every 2 days.

The issue exists only when I change channels and is really bad in living room.

Edit:
I have not seen issues when recording a show and watching another. I have tested following scenarios
1) Two live channels in separate rooms and 1 recording in progress
2) 2 recordings together and 1 live
3) 3 recordings together

I do occasionally get "Bad TV Signal" issue for recordings only. That is also a strange issue and think that is a HDHR problem. I got that yesterday for "Modern Family recording"
Last edited by cnewsgrp on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Post removed. We crossed posts.
Last edited by barnabas1969 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:22 pm

The goal here is to eliminate as many hops through routers and switches as possible between your HTPC and your extenders. Each switch and router adds a delay, known as "latency" to the network.

Think of it this way... the router/switch is a traffic cop, standing in the middle of a busy intersection (with anywhere from 4 roads intersecting to as many as hundreds of roads intersecting, depending on the size of the switch/router). Each packet of data is a car. As each car approaches the intersection, it has to stop (in the buffer). The buffer only has room for a fixed number of cars. Each car has a label on the front bumper that tells the cop the address of the house where the car is planning to travel. The cop has to read each label, and decide which road is the correct one to get to the car's destination... and then he sends the car on its way down the correct road. This process takes time, and if the cop can't make decisions fast enough, the cars will pile up and overflow the buffer. When the buffer fills up, no more cars are allowed to enter... instead, they are destroyed and a message is sent back to their origin to tell the originating device that the car was destroyed. This message takes more time away from the cop's primary job... routing traffic. It also causes the originating device to send another car, in an attempt to get to the destination. This becomes a vicious cycle... and the cop starts to have less time to deal with routing traffic because he is so busy destroying cars and sending messages back to the originator.

I hope that helps you understand. Also, Routers add more latency than switches... because the router is a much more complicated device, and it takes more time to process the incoming packets before they get sent back out of the device. Think of it this way, a router is a traffic cop who also has to check all the passengers inside the car to make sure they are allowed to go through the intersection. This means that the cop has to work much harder, and it takes more time to process each car. Even, as in your case, when you've setup the router to allow ANY passenger through the intersection... the cop still has to check EVERY passenger.

So, your setup is very bad for getting traffic to the destination efficiently.

It looks to me that your best option without rewiring would be to do the following:
  • Move the Cable Modem/Verizon Router to Bedroom 1. To do this, you'll need to split the coax cable in bedroom 1 so that you can connect the HDHR Prime and the cable modem. If this weakens your TV signal too much for the HDHR Prime to get a good signal, you'll need to add an amplifier where the cable comes into the house, and/or reduce the number of splits in the coax up-stream from bedroom 1. Hope this makes sense. Think of the coax cable as a water pipe... and splitters are like "T's" in the pipe. Each "T" reduces the amount of water flow coming out each side of the "T".
  • Plug the HTPC directly into Port 1 on the Verizon Router (get rid of the old Linksys router).
  • Plug the HDHR Prime into Port 2 of the Verizon Router.
  • Plug the cable from the wall jack in bedroom 1 into Port 3 on the Verizon router.
  • Plug the printer into port 4 of the Verizon router.
  • Buy the switch I recommended, and put it in the basement.
  • Plug the line that comes from bedroom 1 into Port 1 on the new switch.
  • Plug all the other lines into the other ports in the new switch.
  • Get rid of the router in the living room. Plug the XBox directly into the MoCa adapter.
  • Setup wireless networking on the PS3. If the wireless signal from the Verizon router is not strong enough, you can use one of your old routers (configured as a wireless access point, or "AP"), and plug the wireless AP into the kitchen outlet. Or... if the kitchen is too far from the living room, you could locate the wireless AP in the basement, directly under the living room, plugged into the new switch you've purchased and installed in the basement.
If you decide to make one of your old routers into a wireless AP, make sure that each wireless AP in the house (including the Verizon router) is on a different radio channel (it's also best not to use adjacent channels for wireless AP's that are in close proximity to one another. For example, use channels 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 2.). And... DON'T attempt to use the extra ports on those wireless AP's for your extenders or your HTPC. Those extra ports are fine for things like BluRay players, Gaming consoles (only if they aren't going to be used as media center extenders), etc.

EDIT: I corrected my terminology above. I wrote "wireless bridge", when I should have written "Wireless Access Point".

And... while I'm on the subject of wireless bridges... if you have some devices that you would like to connect in some of the rooms where you have an extender... and the device does not have an internal wireless adapter for connecting wirelessly to your network, you could take some of your old routers and configure them as a wireless bridge and use them to connect those non-wireless devices. This will help you avoid the trap where you have to add a switch in those rooms to connect additional devices. If you run out of old routers to configure as bridges or access points, you can buy devices for this purpose pretty cheap.

Basically, the difference between an "access point" and a "bridge" is this... an "access point" allows devices to connect wirelessly to your network. A "bridge" allows WIRED devices to connect wirelessly to an access point. Clear as mud?

Basically... like this:

BluRay_Player -> wired -> wireless_bridge -> radio_waves -> wireless_AP/router -> wired_network
or...
PS3 -> radio_waves -> wireless_AP/router -> wired_network
Last edited by barnabas1969 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:49 pm

I edited my post above.

As you can see, this plan is pretty painless. It will only cost you $35 and doesn't require you to rewire. It gets the maximum number of "hops" between your HTPC and the extenders down to TWO. It also connects the Verizon router, which is part of your MoCa network, directly into your HTPC. This makes the most of your MoCa, giving you the least possible latency on that part of your network.

I guess I should also add something about how latency affects your extenders. Here's the basics...

Your HTPC is sending a video stream across the network. Due to the number of switches and routers in the path, the time it takes for a packet of data to make it from the HTPC to the extender is too long. When you switch channels, the extender has to send a message across the network to tell the HTPC to change channels. When you press the button on the remote, the HTPC is already way ahead of what you're seeing on the TV. Additionally, it takes a little while for the "change channel" message to get to the HTPC. So, when you change channels, the extender gets confused... because it doesn't get an acknowledgement (ACK), confirming the channel change, back from the HTPC soon enough... because there's still some video in the pipe from the old channel, and that data has to get flushed through the pipe before the ACK comes from the HTPC. The extender is programmed to only allow a certain amount of time to wait for an ACK... and if that time period is exceeded, the extender says "network error". Get it?

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. I think I understand the basic concept. The idea is to reduce the number of hops and as far as possible try and connect extenders to same switch. Here is what I ended up doing
I moved HDHR to the basement. So my Verizon router, Trendnet Switch and HDHR are co-located in the basement.
Trendnet Port1 => The wire from bedroom1 => HTPC
Trendnet Port2 => HDHR
Trendnet Port3 => Bedroom2 => XBox2
Trendnet Port4 => Basement => Printer
Trendnet Port5 => Bedroom3 => XBox3 (future)
Verizon Port1 => MoCA => E2000 => XBox & PS3 (I see your point of Wireless Bridge for PS3 and connecting Xbox directly to MoCA, but let me try current setup for now and if I see issues then I will change to setup you suggested)

I see lot of improvement after the changes I have made. I changed channels 20-30 times and saw Network error once only for a short time.
. I have it in my list to update my switch, but I will schedule it for later.

Thanks again
Attachments
Home Network.JPG
Home Network Revised

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Yeah, that basically accomplishes what I described, except that you moved your HDHR Prime and your printer, instead of moving the router. That's fine... whichever is easier for you... as long as you don't mind walking to the basement to get stuff off your printer. You could also setup your printer wirelessly... using one of those old Linksys routers as a wireless bridge... and then your printer could be located just about anywhere.

The next step would be to eliminate the router in the living room. The PS3 already has wireless built-in, doesn't it? My son's does. He uses it with wireless all the time. You shouldn't need a wireless bridge for the PS3, unless the PS3 doesn't get good enough signal strength from the basement router (or if the basement router doesn't support 802.11b or 802.11g... I don't think the PS3 can do 802.11n). If either of these are the problem with connecting the PS3 wirelessly, all you need to do is configure one of those Linksys routers as a Wireless AP, and place it in a spot (kitchen or basement) where the PS3 gets good signal strength.

Then, trust me, spend the $35.00 at NewEgg to buy the new switch. Get rid of that TrendNet thing. For the money, you really can't beat that ASUS switch.

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Agreed. My next project is to setup E2000 as a wireless bridge and connect PS3 to it. I am planning to get the switch as well. Thanks again for all your feedback.

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:15 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Yeah, that basically accomplishes what I described, except that you moved your HDHR Prime and your printer, instead of moving the router. That's fine... whichever is easier for you... as long as you don't mind walking to the basement to get stuff off your printer. You could also setup your printer wirelessly... using one of those old Linksys routers as a wireless bridge... and then your printer could be located just about anywhere.

The next step would be to eliminate the router in the living room. The PS3 already has wireless built-in, doesn't it? My son's does. He uses it with wireless all the time. You shouldn't need a wireless bridge for the PS3, unless the PS3 doesn't get good enough signal strength from the basement router (or if the basement router doesn't support 802.11b or 802.11g... I don't think the PS3 can do 802.11n). If either of these are the problem with connecting the PS3 wirelessly, all you need to do is configure one of those Linksys routers as a Wireless AP, and place it in a spot (kitchen or basement) where the PS3 gets good signal strength.

Then, trust me, spend the $35.00 at NewEgg to buy the new switch. Get rid of that TrendNet thing. For the money, you really can't beat that ASUS switch.
A big thanks is in order for your help. Here is summary of what I have done so far
1) Removed various hops and I now have more "direct" wiring
2) I purchased a new ASUS switch
3) I have a 8 way cable splitter that I changed to 2 way.
4) Finally I also opened a ticket with HDHR, they asked me to install a new firmware.

A combination of all four seem to have done the trick. No more low signal issues. I now get Network error after 4-5 channel clicks and its not bad at all.

Thanks!! :D

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:48 pm

You're welcome. However, you still should not be getting a network error when changing channels. I don't usually watch live TV... I usually watch recorded shows. But I just went to the bedroom to test changing channels, and I was able to change channels 7 times without a problem.

What does your network setup look like now?

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:06 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:You're welcome. However, you still should not be getting a network error when changing channels. I don't usually watch live TV... I usually watch recorded shows. But I just went to the bedroom to test changing channels, and I was able to change channels 7 times without a problem.

What does your network setup look like now?
Verizon -> two way splitter -> 1)HDHR
2)Verizon Router

Verizon Router -> Switch -> 1) (Priority) HTPC
2) HDHR
3) Bedroom Xbox

Verizon Router (MOCA) -> Netgear MOCA Adapter -> Switch -> 1) Living Room XBox
2) PS3
Note: I don't have a wired outlet in living room so have to use MOCA. I tried connecting Netgear directly to xbox without switch in between with no difference.

Verizon Router (Wireless) -> Linksys Wireless Bridge -> Home Wireless Network.

Notes: Even though I get the error, I am very happy with the setup. Its most likely due to issues specific to my setup. Stuff like the distance between switch and HTPC (2 levels, approx 50 feet of cable). My PC is also very old. Its a 4-5 year old Dell INS 530 1.6 GHz core2Duo with 6GB memory

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:27 am

OK. I'd be curious to know if the XBox gets the error if you connect the XBox, wired, without the MoCa adapter. If you could try moving the XBox to another TV in the house (Where there is a wired connection available) or just run a long cable across the house (temporarily).

cnewsgrp

Post by cnewsgrp » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:32 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:OK. I'd be curious to know if the XBox gets the error if you connect the XBox, wired, without the MoCa adapter. If you could try moving the XBox to another TV in the house (Where there is a wired connection available) or just run a long cable across the house (temporarily).
I have another xbox in the bedroom that is directly connected to switch (port4). It displays the same behavior. Today I ordered a Intel NIC which has very good reviews. Will see if that helps.

Questions
1) I am also using MOCA for living room. Is there a chance MOCA is causing network issues at other parts of network as well?
2) Right now my HDHR is in basement connected to switch and cable inlet. Is that a good location for HDHR or should I bring it close to HTPC or better still get a dual NIC card and connect HDHR directly to one outlet of NIC to my HTPC?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 pm

cnewsgrp wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:OK. I'd be curious to know if the XBox gets the error if you connect the XBox, wired, without the MoCa adapter. If you could try moving the XBox to another TV in the house (Where there is a wired connection available) or just run a long cable across the house (temporarily).
I have another xbox in the bedroom that is directly connected to switch (port4). It displays the same behavior. Today I ordered a Intel NIC which has very good reviews. Will see if that helps.

Questions
1) I am also using MOCA for living room. Is there a chance MOCA is causing network issues at other parts of network as well?
2) Right now my HDHR is in basement connected to switch and cable inlet. Is that a good location for HDHR or should I bring it close to HTPC or better still get a dual NIC card and connect HDHR directly to one outlet of NIC to my HTPC?
1) No, the switch will direct the traffic to the correct port for the destination MAC address, so the MoCa network will not be involved in traffic that is bound for the XBox that is connected directly to the switch.
2) I believe it would be better if your HDHR was connected to the same switch as the Media Center PC. But that doesn't sound like what's causing your problem with the extenders.