EPG123 - programs stopped uploading to WMC

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
dougn

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 - programs stopped uploading to WMC

Post by dougn » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi, All. I've been using EPG123 successfully for a couple of years. For some reason I am no longer getting programs loaded into WMC. From what I can tell my EPG123 setup is correct. I can successfully run a Save/Execute and I'm not seeing any errors in the log but my WMC program guide only has one week of programs (I tried 14 and 21 days in the EPG123 config) and I'm not seeing the Season/Episode information that I am used to. My conclusion is that the EPG123 data is not making its way into WMC.

Do you have any troubleshooting suggestions? I've tried rebuilding the WMC Database using the Guide Tool (that took just a few seconds...normal??).

Thank you.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:56 pm

Did you update to the latest, and did you delete and recreate the scheduled task due to new location of the mxf file? If not, that would explain an unsuccessful update. The log would look clean, without errors, due to importing an old, stale mxf file on every update.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

dougn

Post by dougn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:08 am

Thank you for the speedy reply.

>> Did you update to the latest
Yes, I did.

and did you delete and recreate the scheduled task due to new location of the mxf file?
Yes. I did that as well. When I do a manual run (Save and Exit) from the Config program, that doesn't use the scheduled task, right? So...

>> If not, that would explain an unsuccessful update. The log would look clean, without errors, due to importing an old, stale mxf file on every update.
I checked the LOG file. It shows the schedule file going into c:\EPG123\output (the program is located in c:\EPG123) and the Import function runs from the MXF file in that same folder. I also confirmed that the time stamp on the MXF file is correct.

Is it possible to discern from the contents of the MXF file what the end date is on the download period? In other words, is there a way to see if the problem might be with SD rather than any issue with EPG or WMC?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:23 am

Well that's interesting. Your guys' posts/problems might be related.

You can't tell how many days are in the MXF file... not easily anyway. The way the file is setup, you have a start date and time for the first program on that station and then have to add the duration of all programs after it (in seconds!) to get the end time. You can however enable the creation of an XMLTV file in the configuration GUI and run it. Every program has a start and stop time but you will have to find the last program of any give channel.

An easier thing to check is in the trace.log file. There will be an entry "Entering getAllScheduleEntryMd5s() for X days on Y stations" followed be an entry "[ INFO] Processed Z schedules for Y stations". Z should equal X times Y, or near to it. Another thing to check is the entry "Entering buildAllProgramEntries() for X programs" and "[ INFO] Processed Y program descriptions". X and Y would ideally be equal.
- Gary

dougn

Post by dougn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:46 am

>> Well that's interesting. Your guys' posts/problems might be related.

My last guide entries are on September 4. Same as the other poster.

>> An easier thing to check is in the trace.log file. There will be an entry "Entering getAllScheduleEntryMd5s() for X days on Y stations" followed be an entry "[ INFO] Processed Z schedules for Y stations". Z should equal X times Y, or near to it.

As of now I have the days set to 14 and Z does equal X times Y. Exactly.

>> Another thing to check is the entry "Entering buildAllProgramEntries() for X programs" and "[ INFO] Processed Y program descriptions". X and Y would ideally be equal.

And they are equal.

My provider is Cablevision aka Optimum. I know that SD created a new lineup for my area a few months back although things had been working well since SD filled me in on the new lineup I had to select.

dougn

Post by dougn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:20 am

I like your theory (in the other thread) that Rovi data is in the guide. The program descriptions are pretty bad and I’m not seeing the season/episode info that I had been getting from EPG. Smells like Rovi.

FWIW after the EPG progress bar completes I have lots of HDD activity and WMC responsiveness gets crummy. This continues for several minutes. So in my head I’d say that data is being loaded into the guide. But maybe it’s loading up a Rovi file???

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:44 am

Okay, let's see if this works.

In the client GUI...

0) close WMC
1) Click any channel on the left side and press [Ctrl]+[A] to select all
2) Right-click any channel on the left side and select 'Unsubscribe'
3) On the right side pull-down, select your EPG123 lineup for Cablevision/Optimum (is there more than 1?)
4) On the left side, click the Match by: [# Number] button
5) Open WMC and check the results
- Gary

dougn

Post by dougn » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:11 am

BRILLIANT (as always). I followed your instructions and voila. Program guide is back to normal (entries run through September 16) and the series / episode designations are back. The only thing that didn’t pick up is scheduled programs beyond September 4. I’ve seen that before. Not sure if that will eventually fix itself or if I’m better off deleting each series and re-adding.

Thanks so much for your help.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Your next update should run a PvrScheduleTask which will straighten out your scheduled recordings.

I would suggest you open the Transfer Tool from the client... anything on the right side in red/pink will be a Rovi series ID and will not work with the EPG123 guide. You will need to setup those recordings again, are do a conversion using the tool.

To use the tool...
1) click the [Backup] button in the client and wait for completion
2) click the [Transfer Tool] button in the client to open it
3) click the [Open recordings backup file] button and find the backup_YYYYMMdd_HHmmss.zip file just created
4) anything on the right side that is red/pink, right-click and select 'Cancel'
5) anything on the left side, ensure the checkbox is checked and click the [>>>] button between the panes
- Gary

dougn

Post by dougn » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:02 pm

garyan2 wrote:Your next update should run a PvrScheduleTask which will straighten out your scheduled recordings.
This experience gave me an incentive to clean up my series and just re-do them from scratch. I mean, what are the chances that I'm going to get a new episode of "The Waltons" ? :P

Sending another donation your way. Love to support folks who are so helpful to us laypeople.