New pop-up box

jaimeknapp

HTPC Specs: Show details

New pop-up box

Post by jaimeknapp » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:10 pm

Spectrum/TWC, San Antonio, TX, Ceton PCIE4, SA Cablecard & TA. It's been in dedicated Media Center service for years and nothing has changed. Other than occasionally requiring the TA to be rebooted, it has been mostly trouble free.

For the first time ever, today I got a Media Center appearing pop-up box "Your TV service is about to be interrupted. Press any key to continue watching." Pressing OK dismisses it, yet, there has not been any interruption in programming. Thus far it has shown up twice while statically watching a single cable channel, no recordings in progress and no extenders in use.

Has anyone ever seen this, or have any idea what may be provoking it? I know they are rolling out newer set-top box software. Might that be it?

Thanks

Space

Post by Space » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:02 pm

I think that message is related to the Settings -> General -> Optimization setting.

I've seen it a few times over the many years I've been using WMC. I am not sure exactly what these "optimization tasks" are. I've never seen it actually interrupt anything.

WMC can be a strange beast. You can be running it for years without seeing something and then all of a sudden you get some weird thing happen that you never saw before. For instance, just two days ago I saw the "Emergency Alert System" banner across the top of the screen while viewing a recorded show. I've seen posts in this forum about seeing that message while viewing live TV (something I very rarely do) but not when viewing a recording. It would show up on whatever recording I chose to view. It only went away after I exited the WMC GUI and restarted it.

I see these EAS alerts in the HDHomerun Prime logs (they are tested weekly and monthly) and a monthly test was logged right around the time I saw the message on WMC, but like I said, I was not viewing live TV at the time, although it is possible that I was viewing it at some point earlier due to looking at the LLWS baseball on ESPN.

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:58 am

I actually think it's a message sent from the TA that the switched digital video frequency is going to be reclaimed unless you indicate you're still watching (although I've never seen it myself).

Space

Post by Space » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:50 am

RyC wrote:I actually think it's a message sent from the TA that the switched digital video frequency is going to be reclaimed unless you indicate you're still watching (although I've never seen it myself).
Yeah, it might be, I know if you have a SDV channel tuned for too long it will try to reclaim that channel. I've never seen it since I don't have any SDV on my system (FiOS). SDV uses shared channels, so if you are watching it for a long time, it assumes you may no longer be watching and requests to stop it so that it can reclaim the channel for use by other SDV channels for other customers in your area.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:55 am

We have had SDV channels for 6-7 years and there have been a few rare occasions when a long-tuned channel would cease and provoke an SDV:1 or no signal available screen from Media Center, but this pop-up was new. It has not come up again since yesterday. I got a response on DSL Reports that the same screen has occurred on set-top boxes. It appears unrelated to my particular installation.