Signal breakup over wifi with Silicondust tuners

layth

HTPC Specs: Show details

Signal breakup over wifi with Silicondust tuners

Post by layth » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi, I just setup my new laptop ( Win 7 professional 64 bit) with the latest silicondust software and updated my intel wifi driver but my picture still breaks up. I have run signal strength in WMC and it shows excellent. My wifi shows 144 Mbps and I can stream netflix movies without a glitch. Any ideas as to whats happening?

Thanks,Tom

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:05 pm

layth wrote:Hi, I just setup my new laptop ( Win 7 professional 64 bit) with the latest silicondust software and updated my intel wifi driver but my picture still breaks up. I have run signal strength in WMC and it shows excellent. My wifi shows 144 Mbps and I can stream netflix movies without a glitch. Any ideas as to whats happening?

Thanks,Tom
Try switching to/from 5 Ghz wifi to 2.4 or vice versa.

layth

Post by layth » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks. I'll try that.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:50 am

I believe that Netflix maxes out at about 5 Mbps per show/movie, whereas if you stream from an HDHomeRun without transcoding it to a lower bitrate (for the devices that can transcode) it can go up to about 20 Mbps.

So just because you can stream Netflix does not mean that your current WiFi connection can handle 15-20 Mbps.

I would do some file transfers or use other tools to determine what maximum bandwith your WiFi device can handle and if there are problem, troubleshot that (move the AP or the antenna position, etc.). In addition to changing the frequency on the AP between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz (as previously mentioned) you can also try changing the channel that is used within the band that you are using (for instance in the 2.4Ghz spectrum, you can use channels 1, 6, & 11 (using 20 Mhz channels, which based on the 144 Mbps you mentioned, is what you are currently using).

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 pm

I have used WMC since 2006 with cablecard tuners. I have NEVER been able to stream live TV via WMC over a wireless connection without the picture breaking up.

I literally could be within feet of my router and it's still somewhat problematic.

The ONLY way to watch live TV via WMC without any hiccups is with a wired ethernet connection.

Why this happens when we can all stream 4K content without a glitch is beyond me, but I've just resolved to hard wire all my HTPCs.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Yeah, I have little experience with streaming untranscoded video from a HDHomeRun Prime over WiFi. I only did a short test to a laptop using VLC that was about 8 feet away from my 802.11n router.

I had to increase the input buffer from 800ms to 2000ms in VLC to get it to play smoothly (I didn't try any other values, so 2000ms may have been more than was needed). I assume this increased buffer is needed to accommodate the extra time needed to re-transmit WiFi packets that were corrupted during the initial transmission. I'm not sure if there is any ability to increase the buffer in WMC for this type of thing (or if that would solve your problem), but most recommendations I have seen over the years are to use Ethernet to connect the WMC machine and the HDHomeRun.
Last edited by Space on Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Silicondust has a utility to test for network packet loss.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5877
------------------
Low level test for network packet loss - CONNECT/EXTEND/PRIME/EXPAND:

1) From a cmd prompt run:
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF set /tuner0/vchannel <channel number>
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF save /tuner0 null

Replace "<channel number>" with one of your HD channels. For HDHomeRun PRIME, make sure that it is a non-DRM channel.

If you have more than one HDHomeRun unit then replace "FFFFFFFF" with the device ID of the desired unit.

You should see a series of dots. "n" indicates network packet loss. "t" indicates a reception error. "s" is informational.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:06 pm

joelkirzner wrote:I have used WMC since 2006 with cablecard tuners. I have NEVER been able to stream live TV via WMC over a wireless connection without the picture breaking up.

I literally could be within feet of my router and it's still somewhat problematic.

The ONLY way to watch live TV via WMC without any hiccups is with a wired ethernet connection.

Why this happens when we can all stream 4K content without a glitch is beyond me, but I've just resolved to hard wire all my HTPCs.

Agreed 100%.... Over the years I have tried this on a tablet from XP, Vista, 7 and 8.1, the results were always the same. On a good day you could get it working but, a hour show would break up a few times but, if you could live with it, it does kind of work.

THe program I was able to with success is with Teamviewer... As it does a compression that does the video pretty well. The only problems with it is, It messes with DRM and takes over the primary session so others cant watch WMC while your remoted in.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012