Strange Xbox Extender Disconnect - Event ID 1530

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
yankees17

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange Xbox Extender Disconnect - Event ID 1530

Post by yankees17 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi all, I'm experiencing a strange issue that I can't seem to put my finger on, so I was hoping to get some additional thoughts.

For background info - I run a headless media center PC (w/ Ceton internal DCT), using only the 2 extenders I have connected to TV's (xbox 360 on main TV, linksys 2100 on bedroom TV). I've been running this setup for years without any major problems. There have been no changes or additions to my PC or network. The problem I am having seems to occur only from the xbox extender, not the linksys extender in the bedroom, or the HTPC itself.

Here's the problem - About a week ago, from the xbox 360 extender, my wife was cleaning out a ton of old recorded TV shows that she decided she'll never watch. She's deleting show after show in repetition, when randomly the screen froze for a few seconds, and then disconnects. The xbox asks if she wants to reconnect, which works without issue. Ever since then, the xbox will disconnect in the same fashion on occasion when browsing recorded TV. I can almost always reproduce the problem if I go to recorded TV and browse back and forth through shows for long enough. Subsequent reconnects always work without issue. Sometimes it will disconnect within a few seconds of browsing recorded TV, and other times it takes longer (quite a bit of browsing back and forth through all of the shows, but can usually reproduce within a minute or so).

So I checked the event log on the PC to see if it showed anything strange. I am seeing an Warning message in the windows application log file every time the issue happens (Source: User Profile Service, Event ID: 1530):

"Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-4082214077-2840598043-1176984769-1003: Process 904 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-4082214077-2840598043-1176984769-1003\Printers\DevModePerUser "

I'm also getting an error that shows up in the media center log file under 'applications and service logs'. This one is an Event ID 112 and simply states:

"The Media Center Extender session was terminated because Windows Media Center exited unexpectedly."

This doesn't help me much, lol. However, I'm hoping someone smarter than I may be able to provide some insight on the Event ID 1530 warning I listed above. I know I'm probably grasping at straws here, but I'm not sure where else to look. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

yankees17

Post by yankees17 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Ok, with further testing, this does not only effect the extenders. I was able to reproduce on my PC, which gave me this error:

Windows media center has stopped working

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ehshell.exe
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: 4a5bd053
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4e150719
Problem Signature 07: 20c8
Problem Signature 08: 100
Problem Signature 09: N3CTRYE2KN3C34SGL4ZQYRBFTE4M13NB
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

So I guess this post is in the wrong forum, since isn't just an extender issue. I'll repost in the correct forum once I've done some more investigating.

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:23 pm

The CLR20r3 error is a generic eshell error. Have you installed any other Media Center apps around the same time you started having problems? If so you might want to uninstall them and see if the error continues. That being said since this is a generic error it is sometimes difficult to pin down the root cause.

yankees17

Post by yankees17 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Yeah, it certainly doesn't give me much to go on. I haven't installed any apps that would coincide with the issue. I try to be as careful as possible with this machine - I don't install many 3rd party apps, only mychannel logos and remote potato, both of which have been installed and running for a LONG time. I don't use this computer for anything other than a media center server (no monitor/keyboard/mouse is even attached). I don't even run windows updates unless I have to (which I've now done, just rule that out). So I'm not sure what could have happened here.

I'm now wondering if it may be caused by a hardware issue, particular one of my HD's (I have 2 HD's total in this pc). First drive is 500 gig and is partitioned as C (80 gig - OS), and D (archived recorded TV). My 2nd drive (F - 1.5 TB) is dedicated to recorded TV storage. I record all new TV to the 2nd drive (F), but it also watches the D drive for the archived shows. Maybe a corrupt file on one of the drives?? Both drives are likely around 3 years old, so I've been thinking about swapping them for some new ones in the near future anyways. I may have to prioritize that and see if it helps (was hoping to wait for HD prices to come down again). I'm crossing my fingers as I'm a bit stumped by this one...

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:25 pm

You can open an elevated .CMD prompt (click start, type cmd in the search box, right click cmd and run as Admin.) and type sfc /scannow
this will scan for corrupt system files and repair/replace them if necessary.

If the problem still persists you could try removing the XBOX as an extender in MC and then re-adding it to see if it fixes the issue.
instructions for removal below:
To uninstall Xbox 360 and remove the Extender connection:

You might choose to uninstall the Xbox 360 if you want to set up the Extender again with different settings. Or if you previously connected the console to one Windows Media Center computer and you want to connect the Xbox 360 console to a different Windows Media Center computer, you must first remove any existing connection between the Xbox 360 console and the first computer.

When you uninstall Xbox 360 as an Extender, the Media Center Extender account (named MCX1 by default) is removed from your Windows Media Center computer and all settings for the Extender are removed as well. After you uninstall the Extender, you can add it again at a later time.

To remove the Xbox 360 Extender connection, you must perform steps on both Xbox 360 and on the Windows Media Center computer.
1. On your Windows Media Center computer, start Windows Media Center.

2. On the start screen, scroll to Tasks, and then click settings.

3. Click Extender, and then click the Xbox 360 console.

4. Click Uninstall.

5. Follow the steps in the Extender Uninstall wizard to uninstall the Extender.

6. On your Xbox 360, use your Xbox 360 controller to scroll to My Xbox, select System Settings, and then select Computers.

7. Select Windows Media Center, and then press the A button.

8. Select Disconnect.

9. Press the B button repeatedly until you return to the System Settings screen.

10. If the Xbox 360 console has a hard drive or a memory card, on the System Settings screen, select Memory.

11. Select Hard Drive, select Games, select Xbox 360 Dashboard, and then select Windows Media Center.

12. Select Delete, and then press the A button.

13. Press the B button repeatedly until you return to the System Settings screen.

Once this is done Re-Add the XBOX as an extender and see if things return to normal.
HTH,
newfiend~