How hook up amp to TV

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
guppy

HTPC Specs: Show details

How hook up amp to TV

Post by guppy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:30 am

I am trying to connect a Denon AVR-1312 (AMP) to a Philips 47PFL3603D-27 (TV)
Here is the back of the amp

Here is the back of the tv

I connected the TV's HDMI1 to the Denon's HDMI Sat/Cbl port and I select the sat but no sound comes thru. What am I doing wrong?

TheReaper

Post by TheReaper » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:41 am

You might want to read the manual, but usually you connect the Out/Monitor on the AVR to an Input on the TV.
<- My Media Center PC

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:01 am

HTPC HDMI output into Denon HDMI Input,.. you can select any of the 4 HDMI inputs on the AVR.. There is only one HDMI output (out / Monitor) from the AVR, use an HDMI cable from that to the TV HDMI input (I use HDMI 1).
Make sure you have configured your HTPC to use the HDMI for output for Audio in Contol Panel>Sound
The AVR should have a "switcher" make sure you have selected the correct HDMI your HTPC is hooked to.. For instance if you went from PC to the HDMI labeld DVD on the back of the AVR make sure you have the DVD HDMI selected on the AVR. Also Most TV's have multiple HDMI "input" ports Make sure the TV is set to use the correct HDMI input port. My Sony has HDMI 1, HDMI 2 etc... use the TV remote to select the correct HDMI port that is hooked from the Mointor / Out on the AVR to the TV. Once the TV is set you really never need to change it.. Your AVR will do all the HDMI switching from now on .. If you wanted to hook up say a PS3 or XBOX you would hook an HDMI cable from the game system to the "game" input on the back of the AVR. Use the AVR remote to swith to the "game" input to use the PS3 or XBOX.. then your AVR routes the signal from the game system through the AVR (which handles the sound) and shoots the video signal out the (monitor/ out) to the TV for Picture.
To recap.. The way I would hook it up is below...
Run a HDMI cable from HTPC HDMI output to AVR Sat/Cable HDMI input, Run another HDMI cable from Monitor / output on the AVR to HDMI 1 on your TV.
Set the TV to use the HDMI 1 input using your TV remote control
Set the AVR to use the Sat/Cable HDMI input using your AVR remote control
Set Windows Audio to use HDMI in Contol Panel>Sound
once in Sound in control panel select your HDMI output from the HTPC and then click the configure button
set it to 2.0 stereo (I know this sounds weird but trust me here)
test, save and exit.
(you should now be getting audio to your speakers and video to the TV screen)
Open Media Center
goto Tasks/Settings on the MC main menu
select General> Windows Media Center Setup
Configure your TV or Monitor
run through the screens and set it to use the HDMI output and select the correct type of screen you are using.
Then select set up your speakers and set it to 5.1 or 7.1 depending on your speaker set up.
test, save and exit.
close Media Center and reopen Media Center.
You should now be all set to use HDMI connections for MC.
Windows 7 has a bug using HDMI connections if you set both Windows and Media Center to 5.1 you will get an error when trying to play back videos or live TV. Setting Windows to stereo and Media Center to 5.1 or 7.1 keeps the error from popping up and you will get surround sound in Media Center.
HTH,
newfiend~

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Guppy,

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to get sound from the TV's internal tuner into the audio receiver, right?

If I'm correct, then you can only do this via HDMI if both the TV and the audio receiver support ARC (Audio Return Channel). If your components don't support ARC, then your only other option is to connect the SPDIF output from your TV to the SPDIF input on your audio receiver.

On the other hand, if I'm incorrect in what I think you are trying to do... then you'll need to connect a source device (HTPC, DVD player, BluRay, etc) to one of the HDMI inputs on your audio receiver, and then connect the "Monitor" output from your audio receiver to the HDMI input on your TV.

Clear as mud?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:37 pm

If I understand correctly, barnabas is saying the right thing.
I'm confident in saying your TV does not support ARC.

Using two HDMI cables, daisy chain the Denon in the middle of the connection like so;

HTPC - AVR - TV

[edited to make more sense]
The sound and picture travel out of the HTPC into the AVR then relayed out again to the TV.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:46 am

Your TV does not support ARC (audio return channel). Hook the SPDIF out on the TV to the the Coaxial input on the back of the Denon. Then use the menus of the Denon to assign the Coxial input to the TV source. When you want audio from your TV through your receiver, just select the TV source on the receiver.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:06 am

Toss a coin!
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:04 pm

It would be helpful if Guppy would reply to tell us which way he is trying to send the audio signal. We need to know if he is trying to get audio from the TV's internal tuner to play through his AVR, or if he is trying to get audio/video to pass through his AVR from his HTPC to the TV.

guppy

Post by guppy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:59 am

Here's what I got:
HTPC (HDMI)
WII (three RC jacks red yellow white)
Satelite receiver (HDMI)
Broadcast antenna (coax)
Bluray player (HDMI)

This is actually my little brothers entertainment center. He had it wired where an hdmi cable came from each device to the receiver and then an hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv. The problem was everytime you wanted to change from bluray to htpc or to satelite you had to pickup the remote for the denon amp. I just thought this felt wrong.

At my house, my amp (10 years old) which is only used on the htpc, merely has one fiber optic cable from the htpc to the amp. The amp is turned on/off via the windows media remote. One entertainment center one remote. Just thought there would be a way to elimnate the need for all his remotes.

guppy

Post by guppy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:00 am

I think kingwr might be on to something.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:32 am

My advice based on the stated goal: Buy a Logitech Harmony
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:42 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with erkotz that you need a programmable remote control instead of trying to change the way things are wired. Many people like the Logitech Harmony. I have an Acoustic Research AR-RX18G that I like very much... and it's only $50 on Amazon right now.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:33 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I wholeheartedly agree with erkotz that you need a programmable remote control instead of trying to change the way things are wired. Many people like the Logitech Harmony. I have an Acoustic Research AR-RX18G that I like very much... and it's only $50 on Amazon right now.
+1.. Much easier with a Harmony.. I have the Harmony One.. best remote I have owned to date so far.
newfiend~