Harmony remote control and 7MC

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
kingpinjimi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Harmony remote control and 7MC

Post by kingpinjimi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:01 pm

I know this is probably a dumb question with and obvious answer, but I will ask anyway.
How do I stop my HTPC from powering off when I press the power button on my remote? When it powers down, I can no longer use my X360 extenders, and when i try to power it up again, its like it gets stuck in a low power state and i have to force reset and reboot, so no scheduled recordings get recorded.. :?
I tried to disable hibernation through command line, but it didnt make any difference.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:27 pm

The button on your remote is not a power button. It's a sleep button. To adjust the action of the sleep button, go to Control Panel, then to Power Options. On the left side of the window is a link that says "Change what the power buttons do". Change the value for "When I press the sleep button" from "Sleep" to "Do nothing".

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:13 am

alternately, you can adjust what the harmony remote does when you press its power button. You can tell it you want to keep the media center on in all situations, that way it will not send the sleep command.

thomtom

Post by thomtom » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:14 am

As mentioned above you can just set your remote all always leave the device on, you may also want to look at http://slicksolutions.eu/ for their standby tools, or even look at Wake on Lan options for extenders. I am not saying it will definatly work but maybe something worth looking at?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Thomtom,

As I understand it, the XBox 360 does in fact send a WOL packet to the HTPC when you start extender mode. The HTPC needs to be configured correctly to wake on LAN in order for this to work. Other extenders (HP and Linksys) do not send the WOL packet, but if you have a DD-WRT compatible router, I have a fix for that... just search for my username (barnabas1969) on the DD-WRT forum.

I second your recommendation for the Media Center standby tool on slicksolutions.eu. I use it and love it.

thomtom

Post by thomtom » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:03 pm

After my comment your reply actually taught me something :-). Nice to hear that there are other out these using the Standby Tool though. I thouhgt it was just me.

Did you actually get the issue sorted, setting remote to allways leave device on?

kingpinjimi

Post by kingpinjimi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Still not working exactly the way I would like but better. Changed the sleep to do nothing, which helped, but sill missing recordings due to hdcp handshake when I turn off tv. Fortunatly wife is not recording anything when tv is off yet so she hasn't noticed. Gotta get it fixed soon though or back to STB for me :(

kingpinjimi

Post by kingpinjimi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:27 pm

thomtom wrote:As mentioned above you can just set your remote all always leave the device on, you may also want to look at http://slicksolutions.eu/ for their standby tools, or even look at Wake on Lan options for extenders. I am not saying it will definatly work but maybe something worth looking at?

Gonna take a look now. Thanks