Xbox360 Extender

Talk about setting up your home network.
FourQ

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox360 Extender

Post by FourQ » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:44 am

Hi all,

I've been trying to get an Xbox360 set up as an extender for MCE. Unfortunately the only support from Microsoft is for Vista/7 and I've reverted to MCE2005 as it causes me fewer problems.

Does anyone have the software for MCE2005 to Xbox360 archived anywhere on their systems? I'm getting desperate now and the only advice I've had from friends is "just upgrade to 7" which would require saving up for a new machine.

Thanks in advance.

Q

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Just upgrade to 7. :lol:

I'm curious--you say XP MCE causes you "fewer problems" than "Vista/7". Can you elaborate?

I've had 7MC going for awhile now, with zero problems.

FourQ

Post by FourQ » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:22 pm

I'm glad to see humour is not lost here.

First of all, I've had the MCE2005 machine for a while. It's not capable of running 7 and I don't have the money for an upgrade.
It uses DVR-MS files for recording which can be edited with DVREdit, adverts removed etc. and converted to AVI's with MCEBuddy.
Although I have an I5 machine with Windows 7 I don't want to use the faster machine just for TV recordings, especially as they can't be edited and converted. The last time I used it for recording I found difficulty in playing it on other devices as older machines weren't able to play the files. In short, it's easier to stick with the MCE2005 machine for recording as all other machines are newer and therefore more compatible.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Well, I use ShowAnalyzer (considering moving to Comskip) to skip commercials, and I do use MCEBuddy--it works fine with .wtv files.

My thought is, this issue you're seeing--not being able to set up a modern XBox with old XP MCE--is very representative of what happens when you try like hell to stick with something older and try to get a bunch of things working together.

It's like "I just bought a new printer--and in the end I ended up with an entirely new computer system, including wireless router!"

Methinks you'll be seeing more of this kind of thing down the road.

If you get this extender issue resolved, it'll just be something else right around the corner.

Suggest you begin now planning for that next box.

FourQ

Post by FourQ » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:43 pm

The thing is, since being knocked off my motorbike in '07 I was laid off work. Since then funds haven't allowed me to upgrade as often as I'd have liked.
It's either this or nothing and personally I'd prefer to battle through until a solution is found.

As for the printer issue, I had a similar experience but just bought a JetDirect box and networked the printer that way ;)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:56 pm

I know this isn't the info your looking for but Win 7 is really the best way to go.. As an alternative you can get an OEM copy of windows 7 for your PC if it will run it at www.Newegg.com for @ 99 bux.. sometimes cheeper if you watch the sales. I have seen it as low as $79.00 for the Home Premium version which includes MC. (thats what I use on my HTPC).
Sorry I couldn't help you out more with what your actually looking for.
newfiend~

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:55 pm

FourQ wrote: I've been trying to get an Xbox360 set up as an extender for MCE. Unfortunately the only support from Microsoft is for Vista/7 and I've reverted to MCE2005 as it causes me fewer problems.

Does anyone have the software for MCE2005 to Xbox360 archived anywhere on their systems?
According to the docs, MCE XP/2005 is supported with an XBOX 360. I don't think any additional software is required. Is there a specific issue or error that you are encountering?

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/ ... dia-center
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

FourQ

Post by FourQ » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks guys.
I don't have the £100 for Windows 7 and the machine wouldn't run it anyway. Besides, I much prefer the .dvr-ms to the .wtv files.

As for the MCE2005 being supported, the trouble is when you click the link it takes you to http://support.microsoft.com/ph/7024 (rather than the http://support.xbox.com/xbox-360/audio- ... ayer-vista or http://support.xbox.com/xbox-360/audio- ... cewindows7 ) - this simply takes you to an upgrade page rather than provide the software as it used to.

If anyone has the software sitting on an old drive or backup I'd greatly appreciate a copy. The normal sources are coming up blank.