ts files with mediabrowser and transcode 360 on xbox 360 ext

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
lurch66

HTPC Specs: Show details

ts files with mediabrowser and transcode 360 on xbox 360 ext

Post by lurch66 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:54 am

I currently have transcode 360 set up using a guide I found the media browser forums. When I first set it up I was able to play ts files without a problem. Now they will start but playback is choppy and after a few minutes it stops and kicks back out the the media browser screen. I am able to play mkv without dts fine but if the mkv has dts I get no audio, this worked ok when i first set it up as well. There is an option in transcode 360 to use vlc player as the transcode engine instead of ffmpeg, is anybody using this and how does it work. Any suggestions would be helpfull. thanks.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:14 pm

Aren't .M2TS files natively supported now on the XBOX 360 extender ?

Which Transcode 360 setup guide did you use?

Its been a long time since I used either Transcode 360 or Media Browser but I had it working well back in Vista Media Center.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Hey cw :D Good to have you here!
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:07 pm

stonethecrows wrote:Hey cw :D Good to have you here!
Thanks, I thought I'd show my face and say hello!
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:14 pm

I just tried to play a sample video clip I previously downloaded that is in .M2TS format, from the native Video Library in Media Center on the XBOX 360 extender and it played fine. I had another .M2TS clip that I had muxed from an MKV file that played audio but no sound (Not sure why at the moment). I can also play .VOB files on the Extender which is MPEG2 essentially.

I think you need to tell us more about these "ts" files you are trying to play.

Are Media Browser users still relying on Trancode 360 to play things like DVD rips on extenders ? Transcode 360 was old and no longer being developed when I was using ages ago in Vista, I would have though the Media Browser crowd would have had something new by now ?
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

jedipunk

Post by jedipunk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:10 pm

I can also play .VOB files on the Extender which is MPEG2 essentially.
Have you ever run into a file size issues when attempting to play a VOB?

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 pm

jedipunk wrote:
I can also play .VOB files on the Extender which is MPEG2 essentially.
Have you ever run into a file size issues when attempting to play a VOB?
No because I don't normally do it, play .vob files on an extender, I just had a small sample clip file to test with.

Why don't you rip a DVD merge it in to one big .vob file and try it ?

I use My Movies and the in-built DVD transcoder to play my DVD rips (VIDEO_TS folders) on the extenders.

But you can play .vob files on the extender, just not DVD's i.e the DVD menus don't work but individual .vob files are playable on extenders under Windows 7, this was not the case in Vista. Its because Microsoft added some native support for TS files.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

jedipunk

Post by jedipunk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:32 am

[quote]Why don't you rip a DVD merge it in to one big .vob file and try it ? [\quote]

I did and it stopped playing after 5 or 10 minutes. The file was well of 5GB.

I haven't had time to do more attempts so I just thought I would ask around.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:36 am

wow I dont look a the post for a couple of days and it blows up thanks for the reply's. I used the C W Kid setup from hack7mediacenter. Sorry for the missunderstanding I ment video ts not m2ts. I use a htpc in the living room and a xbox extender in the kids play room so I would prefer not to change the format of any of the movies. all my ts movies are main movie only and play great on the htpc using media browser. as I stated before They played fine when I first set it up Im not sure what changed. For now I have a Lenovo nettop set up with win 7 running media center for netflix and other streeming along with media browser for movies. I than have to switch over to the xbox 360 for live and recorded tv. This is not ideal but it works. I am just trying to get it down to one device. Than again it's kind of nice to have netflix on the nettop without paying for xbox live. Thanks again for any advice on the ideal transcode 360/xbox setup. O and yes the "Media Browser crew " is still using transcode 360. I think it is the only option. It is the only thing I dont like about the program other than that Media Browser is stellar IMHO.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:18 am

I see you mean VIDEO_TS DVD rips on the extender played via Media Browser and transcoded using Transcode 360.

I'm not sure, I wrote that transcode 360 guide a long time ago now and I have not used it for a long time. If it was working and now is not obviously something changed or got updated perhaps? Have you run through the guide again to make sure everything is still in place.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 am

jedipunk wrote:
Why don't you rip a DVD merge it in to one big .vob file and try it ? [\quote]

I did and it stopped playing after 5 or 10 minutes. The file was well of 5GB.

I haven't had time to do more attempts so I just thought I would ask around.
Interesting, the vob file I played was only a small clip. I wonder why it might just stop?
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:15 pm

:D
Last edited by lurch66 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 pm

cw-kid wrote:I see you mean VIDEO_TS DVD rips on the extender played via Media Browser and transcoded using Transcode 360.

I'm not sure, I wrote that transcode 360 guide a long time ago now and I have not used it for a long time. If it was working and now is not obviously something changed or got updated perhaps? Have you run through the guide again to make sure everything is still in place.
Good to have input from the "CW Kid" himself, thank you. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times as well as updating mencoder and ffmpeg. It was most likly one of the xbox dashboard updates or a windows update that broke it. I will explore this more when I install my ssd and reinstall windows. Of course I have to make sure all my drm recordings are watched and with over 500gig of recordings it will take awhile. I am really liking having 2 htpc as it open's up a lot of other features. Thanks again for all the input it is nice to have an active place to discuss things.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Have others on the Media Browser forums mentioned problems with it of later? If it was possibly an update then others might have been affected as well.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:07 pm

Are using 64 bit Windows ?

There is something here for 64 bit OS.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Don't know how current this is? But this is the guy that I based my guide from.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:19 pm

You need current and up to date information from the Media Browser forums - See here I posted the question for you.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:08 am

Thank's your help is greatly appreciated. I just saw the post on the media browser forums. I will take a look at the other guides you suggested as well. I did not mean to imply that the media browser forums are not active, they are in fact a great resource.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:59 am

Looking in their WIKI section here it looks like my guide is the current guide lol. Unsless the WIKI is old as well?

I wrote that for Windows Vista. I don't recall ever having transcode 360 working under Windows 7 myself and by that time I'd defected back to My Movies and they have an in-built transcoder for DVD's.

You might also want to consider using the native Movie Library of Windows 7 Media Center on the extender and using Mikinho's "transcoder" for that.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:32 am

lurch66 wrote:I currently have transcode 360 set up using a guide I found the media browser forums. When I first set it up I was able to play ts files without a problem. Now they will start but playback is choppy and after a few minutes it stops and kicks back out the the media browser screen. I am able to play mkv without dts fine but if the mkv has dts I get no audio, this worked ok when i first set it up as well. There is an option in transcode 360 to use vlc player as the transcode engine instead of ffmpeg, is anybody using this and how does it work. Any suggestions would be helpfull. thanks.
Reading your first question again,

Are you saying you can still play MKV's without DTS on the extender OK? But it's just the DVD VIDEO_TS rips that stutter and bomb out ? Or do both movie types not work anymore?

Could it be network related ? Rather than transcode 360 setup and configuration related.

Have you got the latest MEncoder as you had to update this I recall. These all seem to be for Win32 not sure about x64 ?
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle