Crashing/Freezing when Resolving Recording Conflicts

marvin-miller

HTPC Specs: Show details

Crashing/Freezing when Resolving Recording Conflicts

Post by marvin-miller » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:50 am

Hi folks;

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing/experiencing the same thing.

On Windows 7, with a single tuner, there are often recording conflicts. Intermittently, when I go in to resolve them, Media Center freezes and then crashes. You get a pop-up window that states Media Center has stopped responding and you can choose to re-start the applicatipon.

Specifically, this is what happens. You look through upcoming recordings and you see a conflict between two. It's choosing to record one that you can live without so you go in and resolve the conflict. This gets you a screen with the two simoultaneous recordings each one has a radio button so you can choose which one you want recorded.

Intermittently, when I choose the other program both radio buttons light up (even though I have one tuner and it should be either/or) and then Media Center freezes. At that point it will stay frozen no matter what.

ON the computer you get a popup screen saying Media Center has stopped responding and would you like to re-start it. I choose re-start it and all is well. Other then, if I go back into that recording conflict and try again it will do the same thing each time. But, the issue is intermittent. For any other recordoing conflicts it may or may not work (seems to be 60% works and 40% freezes).

Tuner is a Hauppauge Colossus and I'm using EPG 123. I can't be positive but it did not always do this. This makes me wonder if EPG123 might be playing a role or perhaps Media Center is just showing it's age?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:23 am

What errors do you see in Event Viewer? Try and match the time of crash with the event.

Event Viewer is in Administrative Tools OR you can type the following in the run box

Code: Select all

%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s
Attachments
EventViewer.jpg

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:48 am

Nada - nothing ever shows up in the event logs when it does this. I did manage to find some other posts through searching the site though that mention others were seeing the same thing. It seems to be an issue with Media Center, one that Microsoft will probably never fix.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:58 am

I see this problem with my 3 tuners from time to time. It's just a bug that we have to live with as far as I can tell. I can usually avoid it by using other methods of conflict resolution.

The primary method I use is to re-order the Series priority from the "Series" menu. Just put the Series for the show you want to record higher in the list than the show that is currently scheduled to record instead.

This only works if both shows are part of a Series, however.

There are other conflict resolution methods, but they depend on the situation. For instance, one method is to just tell WMC to not record the episode that is recording (and in conflict with the one you want to record) and then set a one-dot record for that episode at another time (assuming you want to record it).

marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:05 am

Thanks for the confirmation - at least I know it's not something specific to my system. Probably the best work-around would be for me to get another Colossus and then see if I could get/find DVBlink that people talk about.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:12 am

Great excuse to order more tuners. You and the wife should have 1 each.

Here is a good Colossus/DVBLink thread.

viewtopic.php?p=113619#p113619