Anyone got a Logitech Dinovo Mini ?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
cw-kid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone got a Logitech Dinovo Mini ?

Post by cw-kid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 pm

I've used these Logitech Dinovo Mini's at work before but never actually owned one.
I treated myself to a new one however I am not happy with it at all.

It regularly just stops working, the OK, back and keyboard keys just randomly don't work.
I have to take the battery out to get it working again.

Reading the Logitech forums it seems this is a common problem. .

Starting to wish I hadn't bought it now.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:19 pm

I've tried several USB ports on the back of the PC and I've installed the Logitech SetPoint software and some add-in for browsers that's meant to give you smoother page scrolling.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:49 pm

I have one. Been using it for about 1 1/2 years. I'm about 60% OK with it. I just use it for the occasional time I need a keyboard/mouse. I bought it for the size and lighted keyboard. I bought it in my early days of HTPC setup; I think I'll search more and find another alternative when this one dies.

When using it in Media Center mode (if that's what they call it) the down direction on the directional pad doesn't work at times and takes multiple presses.

I don't have the issues you're having. I use it mostly about 8 feet away from the bluetooth receiver but I have used it in a situation where I'm about 15 feet away. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm of the mind I like the bluetooth connection better than wireless. All my wireless devices in my house seem to "cut out" for a few seconds at a time which gets irritating; the bluetooth on this seems to always connect.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Here's just one example on their forums, the OP is having same problems as me:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboards ... d-p/238803

I have submitted a support incident with Logitech requesting an RMA.

I don't think I will be recommending these keyboards to people again!
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 pm

More details about my issue:

"I purchased a new Logitech Dinovo Mini keyboard last week and I believe it is faulty or there is an issue with the device from the manufacturer.

Frequently when using the keyboard is just stops working, I am unable to type letters, the OK and back buttons stop working. I have to remove the battery and then its OK again for a while. It can then just stop working again within the same session of using the device for no apparent reason. Also when it is "working" it can become very laggy and you can type letters and then wait a long time for anything to appear on the screen.

I can see on your user forums that this appears to be a common fault and many other users have complained of similar problems. I am no more than 8 feet away from the HTPC. I have tried several USB ports and I have installed the latest SetPoint software.

I would like to RMA this unit and have it replaced, do you have newer revisions that work properly?"
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:43 am

I read a few of those posts and followed this link to a troubleshooting article:
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi ... faqid=8930

It talks about the device going into sleep mode after two hours of no input. Maybe that's why I haven't experienced the issue. I use mine for whatever task is at hand then close the lid.

Do you leave yours open/on for long periods of time?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:34 am

I looked at one of these shortly after getting my Harmony One. I posted on the original GB about it and Mikinho contacted me via email and warned me to stay away from it. He said he had bought one awhile back and they had issues. Glad I didn't get one, but it seems as though it would be the perfect HTPC Keyboard... Too bad they have so many problems.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:00 am

Ack wrote:I read a few of those posts and followed this link to a troubleshooting article:
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi ... faqid=8930

It talks about the device going into sleep mode after two hours of no input. Maybe that's why I haven't experienced the issue. I use mine for whatever task is at hand then close the lid.

Do you leave yours open/on for long periods of time?
No I don't leave the lid open when not in use. The keyboard can stop working whilst I am actually using it!
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:38 am

Definitely keep us informed on your replacement. Hope it's trouble-free for you. I'm in the market for another wireless keyboard/mouse combo and wanted to go with something Bluetooth. I was originally considering another one of the mini's but the issue I'm having with the directional pad and this recent information means I probably to look deeper to see what's out there in a similar size. Like newfiend said these are just about the perfect size for an HTPC.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:40 am

Perhaps I should have bought one of these instead.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:06 pm

cw-kid wrote:Perhaps I should have bought one of these instead.
I like the looks of that. I bookmarked it for later reference. I still have my hope of finding something useable in bluetooth since I seem to have quite a bit of wireless interference around my house.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Logitech just sent me an email asking where it was purchased from and did I have the receipt.

I bought it new off eBay hope that's not going to be an issue, but it should not matter where you buy them from, if they are faulty they are faulty.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:10 pm

Below is the response from Logitech. I think they should have to just replace it and not the eBay Seller? It was a charity auction I doubt they can replace it anyways. Hmm what to do?

"Was product purchased as brand new or used device? If "new":

You will have to contact the original place of purchase due to the fact that EU's default customer warranty is 1 year. During this period of time the original place of purchase should provide the replacement product for the faulty device.

If the original place of purchase will decline the replacement, please ask them to provide a written statement confirming that and contact us once again. We will then look into providing you with the replacement product.

If the product was used previously, it has no support for the replacement to be provided from our side."
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Ack wrote:
I like the looks of that. I bookmarked it for later reference. I still have my hope of finding something useable in bluetooth since I seem to have quite a bit of wireless interference around my house.
Well, with the dongle-equipped pieces, they work no matter what--even during boot. And I *always* want one during boot, and it *must* work then.

Not necessarily so with bluetooth, if you're counting on onboard BT.

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:08 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Ack wrote:
Well, with the dongle-equipped pieces, they work no matter what--even during boot. And I *always* want one during boot, and it *must* work then.

Not necessarily so with bluetooth, if you're counting on onboard BT.
Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. I'll be buying dongle-equipped because my MB doesn't have bluetooth. If I had bluetooth on my MB, I may have not considered that if I hadn't read it in the manual (yeah, I'm one of "those" people that actually read them - for new stuff anyway). Thanks for the heads-up for my future reference.

If I remember my last searches correctly, I'll probably end up with wireless since I don't remember finding much in the way of mini keyboard/mouse combos in bluetooth.

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:09 pm

cw-kid wrote:Below is the response from Logitech. I think they should have to just replace it and not the eBay Seller? It was a charity auction I doubt they can replace it anyways. Hmm what to do?

"Was product purchased as brand new or used device? If "new":

You will have to contact the original place of purchase due to the fact that EU's default customer warranty is 1 year. During this period of time the original place of purchase should provide the replacement product for the faulty device.

If the original place of purchase will decline the replacement, please ask them to provide a written statement confirming that and contact us once again. We will then look into providing you with the replacement product.

If the product was used previously, it has no support for the replacement to be provided from our side."

Man, that's a bummer. Hope you can get this worked out.

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:20 am

I own it and have the same exact issues. I'm thinking its a known defect in the product that logitech has never cared to admit

tommo

Post by tommo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:44 am

I had one, it was crap. I had the occasional issue with it but the main gripe I had was the little keys, I was then going to get it's big brother the edge but feared i'd get the issues with it dropping again so I got this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/261180-trust-thin ... oard-17338

About half the price with a charging station, looks good and have had no issues.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:12 pm

Recently got a new replacement direct from Logitech, I've not used it a great deal yet. This one doesn't have a windows flag icon on the media center button but a remote control symbol. Not sure if its an updated revision. Will have to test it properly to see if its improved or not?
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle